diy solar

diy solar

24v system in Host Cascade

Right now not many. One wire to the bed for a bipap machine. Then eventually a 24v compressor refrigerator and a/c unit. Might even change the water pump and lighting over.

The battery bank and the inverter usually require a large stud (1/4" to 3/8"). Smaller loads can get by with connecting to the #8 or #10 size screws.

So got the Samlex 2224 all in one installed with just the AC hooked up. No AC power. Turns out you need the batteries hooked up for the unit to work. Battery box is built. Have to buy some ends to put on the BMS wires. I am so close.

Okay, In the process of installing my system. I have a Victron 70A 24v 12v dc to dc converter. Is 4AWG good to wire this thing in? Also would you come off the battery with an inline fuse or the positive bus bar for this?

4 awg on which side of the converter? Both sides? How long will the cables be?

The usual practice is to put a large fuse in for the battery. Then each device off of the common bus bar is also fused. Fuses protect the wire.

4 AWG + and -. Plan to put in a fuse regardless is battery or bus bar. Cables will be about 2.5 feet.

Having difficulty understanding how to switch modes on my Samlex Evo inverter. Their manual is quite exhaustive and exhausting to figure out.

Okay, thought I’d give an update. System is in and running. We made a trip with the camper. Ran the fridge on 110 ac while driving as the propane doesn’t work cruising down the road. Got to our first night camp sight to find the pedestal didn’t work. Was told we will get somebody there ASAP. Which meant tomorrow. ran off batteries all night for my wife’s cpap. Next morning I was at 26.4v. I am a happy camper! Pun intended. The wife was so impressed she pretty much gave the go ahead for solar.

Well the wife and I got to our where our fith wheel was and have decided the fifth wheel fits our needs better. So our new system will come out of the truck camper and get installed in the fifth wheel. I will have the necessities running off the inverter on one side of the AC power board and anything on the other side will be off when I unplug. So looking at solar. The AIO Samlex can handle up to 50 amp from solar. Would that be sufficient for now? I imagine I can do direct charge from solar to batteries if more amps is needed.

Back