diy solar

diy solar

24v system in Host Cascade

Heck the new Fords would allow you to plug the camper right into the truck inverter and charge your batteries that way, similar to my setup.

The inverter in my F-350 isn't anything to get excited about. The most it will put out is 400 watts when parked and only 300 watts when driving. It's a modified sine wave inverter. Better than nothing and it is built-in.

That is one thing I've never heard said but it seems to be implied quite often. The larger the panels the less you want to use them on a mobile application. But I've never heard someone come out and say it like that. Right now, I only have a camper shell to put solar on thus two panels. I'd like to find a couple of used 400+ panels and throw them up there but as I stated before; I keep getting the impression that panels of this size can't take the wear and tear like 100 or 200 watt panels can. I need this question solved before I can realistically go forward. The idle consumption of the all in one is definitive factor in my mind so I want as much as I can get up there.

I believe I just typed a long winded question that could have been asked in a single sentence. Do you know if using 400+ panels for mobile application is allowed and if so are there specific types/brands of panels you should use?

Edit** I meant to address the DC to DC scenario you brought up and I'm pretty sure that's going to be a must for me where I live for winter. I would even go so far as to say I'll be investing in a generator most likely to boot. I'm in Idaho and we have lots of clouds in the winter and lots of trees all year round where I'm hunting. The summer though is clear skies and brutal 100+ days for weeks at a time so at the least will be running a strong fan.
I've seen photos of people using larger panels. If has a double walled aluminum frame, it should be fine. Panels are made to withstand high winds in excess of 100 mph.

If the panel will fit, I wouldn't see an issue using it. I will warn you however that large panels that need to be shipped will have to go truck freight and you will pay the rate for a full pallet for just one panel. I looked at San Tan back when I was sourcing panels and the freight was more than the panels.

One other deciding factor for me was if I wanted to add any portable panels. I could buy a pair of these 100W panels, add a hinge and use them as portables, allowing me to park partially in shade or in the winter to get just that little bit more of output.

If the panel will fit, I wouldn't see an issue using it. I will warn you however that large panels that need to be shipped will have to go truck freight and you will pay the rate for a full pallet for just one panel. I looked at San Tan back when I was sourcing panels and the freight was more than the panels.
I was just pricing some panels and came across this. $1300 if I had it delivered to my door but $130 if I picked them up at the hub. There was a moment of sticker shock before I noticed the later.

Reactions: Zwy
Ordered the batteries from Docan. 8 Eve 304ah. Still trying to decide what size BMI to get.

Change of plans. The refrigerator I am looking at runs on 12v and my wife’s bipap has a 12v to 24v converter. The plan now is to turn the Eve cells into 12v 600 ah setup. Eventually add solar. Even with just the batteries I think we can dry camp for a day or two.

Thanks. Do you think you could run your ac off that? Even for a short time?

I don't have a ton to add except I'm building a 12v system with 16 eve 304s for the basement of a Mammoth. I'm pretty much done except the camper won't be here until June. Someone in the Host Campers Facebook group posted a build they did with eve batteries in a Cascade around a month ago. I think the cascade has a smaller basement, but I'm willing to share drawings and pictures of my progress.

I would appreciate whatever you have. Still learning so it a definite help.

I would appreciate whatever you have. Still learning so it a definite help.
I just bumped my original post with photos. My CAD drawings are at the office. I changed quite a bit from the original drawings on that post. I'll try to post those updated drawings next week. I ended up buying Hightec 215w panels, because they fit the space on my camper really well. I have bought 4, and bought a MPPT that will handle a 5th in case I find I need more solar power. Do you have the morgue tray in your basement?

Here are the photos here too.

Attachments

• PXL_20220320_225155929.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220320_225155929.MP.jpg
    396.4 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220320_225141571.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220320_225141571.MP.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20220320_225229612.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220320_225229612.MP.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 10
Thanks. Do you think you could run your ac off that? Even for a short time?
I've run the factory roof air on my truck camper 24V system. It takes 1200w to run it, 51A.

My roof air is coming off, I just finished making a mount for a mini split on the rear of the camper. I wanted something that pivoted and I fabricate air conditioning hoses in my line of work so not a big deal for me. I will add another 200w of PV on the roof too when I'm done, 800w total.

Change of plans. The refrigerator I am looking at runs on 12v and my wife’s bipap has a 12v to 24v converter. The plan now is to turn the Eve cells into 12v 600 ah setup. Eventually add solar. Even with just the batteries I think we can dry camp for a day or two.
I would rather determine what inverter size you will require before making a decision. If you will be in the 3000w range, you are way better off with 24V. I responded about the roof air, the surge alone from starting it would be best handled with 24V. You do have the option of staying 12V and using a generator when you want to run the roof air.

You have to size the inverter first, then decide on system voltage. I have a 12V 2400W Giandel mounted on the truck itself for just backup power and recharging the house batteries thru the Growatt 3000. Running 12V with over 2000W requires much heavier cable.

I’m going to go back and look at your setup. Got the camper back. Haven’t had time to do anything with it. Sounds like I will be fine with 120a bms. 800 w total of solar. That is for the future. My better half is starting to give me that look. So battery setup for now.

Niel99, nope no basement tray. The basement layout has all 3 tanks on the floor of the basement so not much room. When you get your camper be sure to check your cabinet latch’s. Ours don’t keep the doors closed worth a toot. Going to strong magnets.

Not having the tray is helpful for figuring out how to fit everything. Here is that post of a Cascade from the Facebook group.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220321-074055.png
    Screenshot_20220321-074055.png
    418.7 KB · Views: 15
Is that the batteries up front? Hmmm double my battery pack and I can run ac while we sleep? I might be sleeping in the garage tonight.

I’m looking at the Samlex evo 2200 all in one. Anyone have any info on these? I am checking online reviews.

Is that the batteries up front? Hmmm double my battery pack and I can run ac while we sleep? I might be sleeping in the garage tonight.
Yes. They put the batteries toward the front of the camper, and that's where I'm going to put mine as well. I suspect things will ride better with the batteries in front of or as near as possible to the rear axle. My batteries aren't stacked, because I was worried about putting the batteries on their side, but he stacked his.

Back