diy solar

diy solar

24V System Wire Sizing help

ok so you're saying the orion isn't more efficient than using the ac2dc converter to charge the battery so why would I even buy a $170 part to replace something I already have if it is not a better option??

I'm getting a little frustrated at this point man cause you're saying basically anything I present as an option to have anything to power my DC side is inefficient or dumb. Like what am I supposed to do here?

ok so you're saying the orion isn't more efficient than using the ac2dc converter to charge the battery so why would I even buy a $170 part to replace something I already have if it is not a better option??
Let me check, If I did it was a mistake. the orion will be over 90% efficient.
The ac2dc converter and inverter combo will be ~65% efficient.
I'm getting a little frustrated at this point man cause you're saying basically anything I present as an option to have anything to power my DC side is inefficient or dumb. Like what am I supposed to do here?
I'm frustrated too.

ok. so with that said, why would it need to be so close to the dc distribution panel?
The orion charger will not be powering the dc distribution panel, it will be charging the 12v battery. the 12v battery is already wired to power the dc distribution panel.

ok. so with that said, why would it need to be so close to the dc distribution panel?
Because 24 volts is much less effected by voltage drop then 12 volts.

The orion charger will not be powering the dc distribution panel, it will be charging the 12v battery.
I'm saying it should be.
It can also charge the battery.
It won't charge it fast but it will charge it.

the 12v battery is already wired to power the dc distribution panel.
Not really.
Its so far away that the voltage drop will be brutal.
It provides a little assist to the ac2dc converter is all.

In the scenario I propose it will add a little extra assist to the dc2dc converter.

Not really.
Its so far away that the voltage drop will be brutal.
It provides a little assist to the ac2dc converter is all.

In the scenario I propose it will add a little extra assist to the dc2dc converter.
I have boondocked for 3 days with a 165W solar panel charging the 12v battery and it has powered my entire dc system through those days without running out of power. so yes, it is wired to power the dc distribution panel.

Back