diy solar

diy solar

24V to 12V buck converter with ON/Off

Playing Devil's Advocate here :devilish: ...

Another advantage of two sets of batteries is that they don't have to be colocated in the exact same space. I'm planning on 2p4s and all eight batteries will be within the same "stack". So I have to find a location in my trailer that can fit that size stack.

I can go either way on this.

2p4s = lower cost, lower complexity, less granularity of measurement of cells
4s2p = higher cost, more complexity, more cabling, redundancy, finer granularity of measurement of cells

Reactions: Dzl
Playing Devil's Advocate here :devilish: ...

Another advantage of two sets of batteries is that they don't have to be colocated in the exact same space. I'm planning on 2p4s and all eight batteries will be within the same "stack". So I have to find a location in my trailer that can fit that size stack.

Good point

I only like chargers / buck converters that you can regulate charge rate and have a voltage sense wire. The Pro Batt ultra series has a BMS1 and BMS2 input that I use to stop charging. With a VSR and my BMS. Here is a video at 2:00 that shows my charger
. Here is a list of chargers https://www.sterling-power-usa.com/batterytobatterychargers.aspx . According to a post on my youtube channel Sterling is coming out with a newer easier to configure model. Sterling is a bit of a pain to configure. I recommend getting the remote with the BB series.

Reactions: Dzl
I forgot to add. If you just want to use the Sterling ultras as power supplies then they have power supply mode you can put them into and they can stop being chargers and be "dumber" like a buck converter.

HI...No close to home involvement in Victron-yet nothing is infallable .
My practice,when introducing converters for customers,was to tap the battery at 12V and feed this aside of a Bat,1,2 swx. Converter 12V out was taken care of to the opposite side. Mark swx as "Emerg. 12V" and set it to converter position.

In the event that converter fails,throw swx to Emerg. and you actually have 12V-for VHF,etc.

Back