diy solar

diy solar

24v to 12v converter design question

BPP

Hi, I'm just about done with my starting RV off-grid electrical upgrade. 1 question though, I'm going with 24V batteries and an all-in-one hybrid inverter, so all the AC power will flow through the inverter. Do I just get rid of the existing 120v to 12VDC converter and always use the 24VDC to 12VDC converter?

Thanks

Hi, I'm just about done with my starting RV off-grid electrical upgrade. 1 question though, I'm going with 24V batteries and an all-in-one hybrid inverter, so all the AC power will flow through the inverter. Do I just get rid of the existing 120v to 12VDC converter and always use the 24VDC to 12VDC converter?

Thanks
You do not need to eliminate your 110 to 12v converter. I use a 48v AIO in my travel trailer and opted to leave my original electrical setup undisturbed I had already upgraded the converter to lithium compatible so I put a single lifepo4 battery on it. This gives me some redundancy which I like. You will get some efficiency losses this way compared to a 24 to 12 volt converter. I added a single 240w solar panel just for the “house” battery and that really helps to offset the efficiency losses of converting solar to battery to ac to dc to battery. I have a fairly large electrically powered slide out so I need a battery to handle those start up amps. The only time leaving the converter in place is a problem is if you are using the “house” batteries to powere your inverter then you will create a power loop inverting from your “house” batteries to your 110 system and charging the same batteries with the converter causing dead batteries in no time. This won’t be an issue if you are using separate 24v battery bank for your AIO.

Do I just get rid of the existing 120v to 12VDC converter and always use the 24VDC to 12VDC converter?

Thanks
That's what I did. I removed the converter/charger section from my WFCO 8955 and a Victron Orion 24/12-70A converter fit perfectly in it's place. It's output now feeds the WFCO DC distribution. Couldn't be easier. This is assuming your hybrid inverter is also a charger.

That's what I did. I removed the converter/charger section from my WFCO 8955 and a Victron Orion 24/12-70A converter fit perfectly in it's place. It's output now feeds the WFCO DC distribution. Couldn't be easier. This is assuming your hybrid inverter is also a charger.
I chose to leave the existing upgraded converter/charger in place because it allows me to bypass my solar system completely and connect directly to shore power in the event of failure of the solar system or an extended upgrading of the system. If I had thought of putting a dc to dc converter in the space that my converter/charger sits, that decision would have been a lot harder to make but for financial reasons I probably still would have done it the way I did. That’s a great idea.

Hi Paul R.,

I'm just finishing up on a similar install. I had planned to use a cheaper 24v to 12 v converter, but after looking at the 16 AGW wires I decided to go with a better charger and considering the Victron Orion 24/12-70A. I have a small slide. Do you know if it will power it from the 24 volt system?

A typical slide motor (not a super slide) draws 30-40A. Mine draws 35A. So yeah, the Orion 24/12-70A will power it. Just remember, the 70A rating is at the 12v output side. 16 AWG wires???

All I have to do is open a breaker and my solar system is disconnected...
I was thinking of the system as a whole my batteries being the most likely thing that I would upgrade. Because of the lack of space and logistics of where the battery bank is now and my unpredictable schedule I could picture us not being able to use the inverter for a week or more while I move the old bank to make a path for the new one. Which the original system intact we can just camp like we used to and the essential 12v will be uninterrupted.

Thanks for your input. The Orion appears the way to go. I'll post up oncei get it installed.

Paul, Did you get power to your Orion 24/12-70A via the VE Lynx with a 100Amp mega fuse?

Back