24V wiring diagram help

rolandbremb

Hi there!

currently planning out my electrical system, and would love to get some feedback on my wiring diagram... is this going to work out or will it blow up in my face? lol

van electrical.jpg

OffGridInTheCity

Solar Enthusiast
Hard (for me) to prove a negative - but nothing bad is jumping out. Couple of thoughts....
1) If you pull 200a @ 24v = 4800w from the battery bank (5kwh) it will be dead (100% DOD) in a hour.... maybe you don't plan on full load very often
2) You might want to add a shunt or at least some meters - so see what's happening. Those victron smart shunts that display to your phone seem pretty cool.

Good luck as you build your system :)

rolandbremb

Hard (for me) to prove a negative - but nothing bad is jumping out. Couple of thoughts....
1) If you pull 200a @ 24v = 4800w from the battery bank (5kwh) it will be dead (100% DOD) in a hour.... maybe you don't plan on full load very often
2) You might want to add a shunt or at least some meters - so see what's happening. Those victron smart shunts that display to your phone seem pretty cool.

Good luck as you build your system :)
Thanks!

Yes, I have a 500A shunt I forgot to add to the diagram!

I don't think I'll ever max out this system... the biggest draw from the inverter would be my induction cook top with around 1800W, and I can plan to not use the AC at the same time.

One concern was around he wire size... do you think 2 AWG is enough? I've conflicting things about that, and was considering to upgrade to 2/0 AWG.

OffGridInTheCity

Solar Enthusiast
One concern was around he wire size... do you think 2 AWG is enough? I've conflicting things about that, and was considering to upgrade to 2/0 AWG.
I run 2/0 (fine-strand flexible welding cable) for 250amps capability and routinely run 150a with 200a spikes with no detectable warmth - total length maybe 8feet from battery to inverter. Just blind advice - 2/0 would be better in my opinion. However, 2 or 2/0, the real test is to make sure the wire doesn't get hot under max load.

Last edited:

rolandbremb

I run 2/0 (fine-strand flexible welding cable) for 250amps capability and routinely run 150a with 200a spikes with no detectable warmth - total length maybe 8feet from battery to inverter. Just blind advice - 2/0 would be better in my opinion. However, 2 or 2/0, the real test is to make sure the wire doesn't get hot under max load.
got it!

the inverter actually asks for a 2AWG in the manual so that should be fine there. I might upgrade to 2/0 for in between the batteries and to the bus bars.

Jasgeer

Solar Enthusiast
Hi there!

currently planning out my electrical system, and would love to get some feedback on my wiring diagram... is this going to work out or will it blow up in my face? lol

View attachment 52338
It seems to me that you might want a way to remove power from the Positive Bus Bar as I do not know whether it is safe/desired to run the inverter directly from the output of the 12V to 24V DC-DC. The only cutoff is on the 200AH bank. There you show two 200AH batteries in parallel. Is this right as the total would be 400AH.

rolandbremb

It seems to me that you might want a way to remove power from the Positive Bus Bar as I do not know whether it is safe/desired to run the inverter directly from the output of the 12V to 24V DC-DC. The only cutoff is on the 200AH bank. There you show two 200AH batteries in parallel. Is this right as the total would be 400AH.
I actually run the batteries in series, but I thought about the same. Thanks for pointing this out.

So I would have 2 terminal fuses on the battery, one for the bus bar and one for the inverter?

rolandbremb

What are you using for the extra AC to DC 40a charger?

The GW will give you 60a also.

Add a disconnect from solar to GW unit.
thanks!

yes I also have a disconnect for the solar panels that I don't show.

the extra charger is actually not a charger... it's a 24v air conditioner!

Reactions: Zwy