diy solar

diy solar

24VDC battery storage in truck camper. Issue with high current 12vdc jacks

BTW, the power capacitor was intended to solve the inrush current issue. It may be more efficient (cost and size wise) to use a bigger power capacitor. 3 and 6 Farad options are available.
Try looking at the SuperCap thread.

3&6 farads seems rather small for your intended use.

If it were me.
Since I own one of these https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/clamp-meters/acdc-digital-clamp-meter-auto-ranging-400-amp
I would test with a starter battery and see what the locked rotor amps value is and then add a margin.
Agree. This is the tool I used to get the current measurements that I have. It doesn't measure DC inrush current, although it does measure min/max. BTW, my measurements for max vs steady state for all 4 motors is 58A/36A. I suspect the inrush is more, but that is only speculation - maybe the max measurement is capturing the inrush.

You can also buy multiple DC-DC converters and run them in parallel.
This is only applicable to higher end converters that are designed to be run in parallel. The uxcell I initially purchased (40A) does not have this capability. Some of the Victron Energy converters do (Orion 24/12 - 70).

What if you put a lawn mower battery on your 12v converter. Your converter should keep the battery charged. And the battery should take the amp draw of the jacks.

Problem solved.

I ordered the Victron Orion 24/12 - 70. This units puts out 70A continuous, 80A surge. Multiple units can be run in parallel, so just in case this was not enough juice, I could order a second one and not throw away the first. It also has a tune-able output, so I can run it at typical full battery charge voltage (I used the default of 13.2V) instead of 12Vdc.

This unit worked great. It is a little pricey (around $140), but it shipped quickly and it worked. It is also a fairly small package so it works well in a truck camper configuration. I should point out that this unit worked as a standalone 12Vdc power source for the entire camper. No additional 12Vdc source was used and no power capacitor was required.

I kept my old 40A 13.8VDC 24/12VDC converter mounted in the camper, but not powered. This will provide a backup 12Vdc just in case the Victron unit ever goes belly up (although it won't work for the camper jacks).

For reference, before I purchased this Victron, I measured a max current of 58A and a continuous current of 36A when running all 4 jacks from a 12Vdc battery on a Host McKinley truck camper. This was measured using the max current measurement feature of an inductive meter. The meter did not have the capability of reading DC inrush current.

Problem solved.

I ordered the Victron Orion 24/12 - 70. This units puts out 70A continuous, 80A surge. Multiple units can be run in parallel, so just in case this was not enough juice, I could order a second one and not throw away the first. It also has a tune-able output, so I can run it at typical full battery charge voltage (I used the default of 13.2V) instead of 12Vdc.

This unit worked great. It is a little pricey (around $140), but it shipped quickly and it worked. It is also a fairly small package so it works well in a truck camper configuration. I should point out that this unit worked as a standalone 12Vdc power source for the entire camper. No additional 12Vdc source was used and no power capacitor was required.

I kept my old 40A 13.8VDC 24/12VDC converter mounted in the camper, but not powered. This will provide a backup 12Vdc just in case the Victron unit ever goes belly up (although it won't work for the camper jacks).

For reference, before I purchased this Victron, I measured a max current of 58A and a continuous current of 36A when running all 4 jacks from a 12Vdc battery on a Host McKinley truck camper. This was measured using the max current measurement feature of an inductive meter. The meter did not have the capability of reading DC inrush current.
Thanks for the update.

Glad the Victron I recommended worked out. No one regrets owning Victron equipment.

Back