diy solar

diy solar

2500 watt LifePO4 rated output

ds0078

While I have just completed my first DIY install on my boat, there is always something it seems like we learn the hard way either during or after a job completion we (being me) just didnt consider in the beginning. Here is mine: I never took into account that the Chins 200Ah batteries I purchased with a 200 amp BMS can only handle a 2500 watt draw. So I purchased a 4K Sungold Power Invert (love it so far), but if my batteries (wired in a parallel) can not handle anything more than 2500 watts of output I never needed an invert any larger than 3000 watts. Being on a boat I decided to keep it 12v, so my question is how does one get a 4, 5, 10k+ watt system that can handle that type of wattage draw and higher amp draw than say the 200 amps or 2500 watts that my batteries are rated for? What am I missing?

Thank you - Donovan

By building a higher voltage system.
12 volts x 200 amps = 2400 watts.
24 volts x 200 amps = 4800 watts.
48 volts x 200 amps = 9600 watts.

Batteries in Parallel divide Load & Charge between them relative to battery pack AH size.
BUT they must be wired properly to do so.
* Each battery should be fused
* Pos & Neg wires from Batt Terminals to Common Bus should be identical length. (Shunt in-between is ok)
* Use ONLY appropriate Gauge Fine Copper Stranded wires with high-quality tinned lugs.
** Being "marine" a very very thin coat of NoAlox / Oxguard is warranted for terminal connection. Just a very fine thin layer, no gobs or mess.

See Page 18 in this guide, the BUSBAR format is the most effective & efficient.

My production bank is 3x280AH & 2x175 set in parallel. When Discharge the batteries discharge proportionately with the 280's putting out a bit more than the 175's. When charging the same occurs and the 175's will take a bit less Amps than the 280's.

ALSO - There is NO POINT in charging over 3.500Vpc (14.0V) as that is the cliff climb to 3.650 Volts per cell. Working Voltage Range for LFP is 3.000-3.400 with nominal voltage being 3.200 per cell. 4 Cells for 12V battery.
Bulk Charge to 14.0V
Float at 13.8V
Reset to Bulk @ 13.6V
EndAmps/TailCurrent is 10A for you battery packs.

Download this resource PDF, pages 12 & 13 have an extended voltage charge and matrix that will answer many questions.
Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Assembly Guide

Hope that helps, Good Luck.
Steve

Batteries in Parallel divide Load & Charge between them relative to battery pack AH size.
BUT they must be wired properly to do so.
* Each battery should be fused
* Pos & Neg wires from Batt Terminals to Common Bus should be identical length. (Shunt in-between is ok)
* Use ONLY appropriate Gauge Fine Copper Stranded wires with high-quality tinned lugs.
** Being "marine" a very very thin coat of NoAlox / Oxguard is warranted for terminal connection. Just a very fine thin layer, no gobs or mess.

See Page 18 in this guide, the BUSBAR format is the most effective & efficient.

My production bank is 3x280AH & 2x175 set in parallel. When Discharge the batteries discharge proportionately with the 280's putting out a bit more than the 175's. When charging the same occurs and the 175's will take a bit less Amps than the 280's.

ALSO - There is NO POINT in charging over 3.500Vpc (14.0V) as that is the cliff climb to 3.650 Volts per cell. Working Voltage Range for LFP is 3.000-3.400 with nominal voltage being 3.200 per cell. 4 Cells for 12V battery.
Bulk Charge to 14.0V
Float at 13.8V
Reset to Bulk @ 13.6V
EndAmps/TailCurrent is 10A for you battery packs.

Download this resource PDF, pages 12 & 13 have an extended voltage charge and matrix that will answer many questions.
Luyuan Tech Basic Lifepo4 Assembly Guide

Hope that helps, Good Luck.
Steve
Wow! To much information! Just kidding, you've provided me with resources to help me start understanding the actual numbers and how to achieve my goals. Thank you very much for taking the time to share in such detail your knowledge and resources.

Much appreciated

Donovan

Wow! To much information! Just kidding, you've provided me with resources to help me start understanding the actual numbers and how to achieve my goals. Thank you very much for taking the time to share in such detail your knowledge and resources.

Much appreciated

Donovan
Your welcome, look at the other resources in my signature, #'s 2,3,4,5 will be most helpful to you.

Back