diy solar

diy solar

25A 48V charger only putting out low 14A 700-800 watts

@ signaturesolarrichard
Who is 'SignatureSolarRay' at your company?
I just got the email notification regarding to this thread.
WHO IS THIS SIGNATURESOLARRAY A-HOLE, YOU NEED TO TALK TO HIM IMMEDIATELY!
It looks like he deleted his comment but it still shows in my Email.

BMS is in the charger is the explanation, really?
It looks like SIGNATURESOLARRAY is the one that does not understand and know how the unit function or how it works but he works for your company?

SignatureSolarRay replied to a thread you are watching at DIY Solar Power Forum.

25A 48V charger only putting out low 14A 700-800 watts

sunshine_eggo said:
What a bunch of bullshit.

@Signature Solar
@SignatureSolarRay
@signaturesolarrichard
@SignatureSolarUS
Which are you referring to as bullshit your comment or the fact you did not understand the explanation correctly or were unable to understand? We are here to help best way we can and sometimes make mistakes or need time to get answers. you just wanna argue, feel free to look elsewhere.

I'm sorry I missed that. Thanks for posting it. It must have come after my last notification after my last visit.

@SignatureSolarRay definitely appears to be the responsible party or at least an incompetent employee as he couldn't parse out the BS delivered by SS support and its outlandish level of wrong.

Let's hope Ray gets a good talking to by Richard. Richard and SS as an org appear to be handling this very well. They may or may not be goobers, but who doesn't like peanuts?

If it's gone it's gone. no need to resurrects things.

Assuming you're a manager, false. You should know how your employees interact with the customers, when they provide incorrect support responses or react badly to an issue while representing your company.

There are people out there that do not do well with social grandstanding.

You are referring to Ray?

No tweet resurrections here pls

Disappointing dismissal.

Once it is on internet, it will be there forever, no way to hide it.
I wonder if Ray will apologize that he is wrong even though he has 30 years of experience. I am sure Sunshine_eggo and others get the same Email notification like I did and see what was said by Ray.

Last edited:
Just got the confirmation that a charger is going to be shipped to me without waiting to find if it was the warehouse, or the carrier fault. That was FAST.
I will report back when I will receive it, and if it's one of the "real" 25A, or not

Thank you.
Glad we could get that sorted. I promise I’m working my tush off to help you all. I love seeing the industry grow and evolve and being a part of that.

Hey there, thanks for pinging me on this. It will be taken care of appropriately. Let’s get the thread back on track - I like looking to the future so please PM me if this becomes an issue further.
So far you are the most responsive person in this thread and always keep us up to date on the issue, other people in your company should look at you on how to handle the issues properly. I guess you can keep Ray from internet or from talking to the customers for now.

"There are people out there that do not do well with social grandstanding. " you mean the people that works for you?
I'm curious if he has the same attitude with other customers as well, he is just happen to get caught and thinking that his reply was deleted.
Also the fact shows that you do have bad batch of the unit after the member suggested that may be the case.
Taken care of on this. PM me if you have more issues.

Glad we could get that sorted. I promise I’m working my tush off to help you all. I love seeing the industry grow and evolve and being a part of that.
Just a suggestion, maybe you already did it, but because I saw posted that the BMS isn't using a relay, but a more fancy way that gave it more control over the input and output, try connecting one of those faulty chargers directly to the terminals of the battery, bypassing the BMS, for a few seconds, to see if anything changes.

And i'm still waiting to hear how they will fix the issue of the lifepower batteries not starting my Schneider inverter. Been waiting over a month but that's another topic.

Concerning their chargers... when i received my lifepower batteries, the soc lights indicated they were between 25 and 50% charged. I hooked up the chargers with the expectation that my battery should be fully charged in about 3 hours if they were in fact putting out what they claim. Surprise, my batteries were fully charged within 3 hours. Unfortunately, i didn't get an exact soc on the bms prior to charging so it was a rough estimate based on soc lights. I did keep a very close eye on things while charging, checking the batteries every couple minutes. When the batteries soc light indicated a 50-75% charge, it took just over one hour more to get to the 75-100% soc light, indicating the charger was putting out very close to what it is rated for. I was satisfied that it was producing the 25amps it's rated for.

My other observation was that while the soc indicator on the eg4 battery turned to 75-100%, the charge indicator lights on the actual charger never changed from the <80% to the >80%. It just went directly from the red <80% to the green 100%. Never hit the yellow light indicating >80%. Weird but i can live with it.

FWIW i was using a predator 8750 inverter generator with two eg4 lifepower batteries being charged separately by two of the 25 amp chargers with the OE alligator clips. No other loads on generator. Also, both batteries were 100% charged within 5 minutes of each other. I charged four batteries this way with the same results every time. BMS confirmed they were all 100% after charging.

I've noticed several others were using much smaller generators or their inverters which may contribute to their issue.
We have had similar problems with battery/ inverter start-up, as well as red warning lights with EG4 batteries mentioned in previous posts. Fortunately, our batteries seem to be working well lately, but I’ve experienced the same issue with the SS 48 volt, 25 amp charger. The charging process took a little longer than expected, but the indicator lights on the charger go from flashing red to flashing green. No yellow lights at all. Near the end of the charge cycle, the voltage went from 55.2 to 58 volts in just a few minutes before I turned the charger off. I don’t think we’re getting a full 1400 watts of charging power, but can’t prove it. Whenever I charge batteries with the generator, I bypass the inverter completely by turning the AC input breaker to the inverter off, the inverter AC output breaker off, and the inverter AC bypass breaker on. That way, 100% of the power from the charger goes directly to the batteries.
I have the same problem. I think the charger draws more power from my generator then what goes into the batteries. I have also removed the alligator clamps and replaced them with ring terminals bolted strait to the bus bars. The most I’ve seen going into the batteries is 14.5 amps. But I am also charging while my house is drawing between 3-5 amps says my Magnum. The charger is drawing 1050 watts from my generator.

on my 12.8v system I charge with a Victron IP22 Blue. It draws 450w from the generator and puts out a full 30 amps.

when I got my system setup I ran my generator for two days. I used 4.5 gallons of fuel and never got them charged. I don’t have panels yet so the Honda is going to be getting a work out.

On a side note. I did notice that the charger says that it works from 90v to 264v. I wonder to get the full 25 amps it may take running it off a 240v generator?
I’m curious when you say that your house is drawing 3-5 amps according to your magnum. Are you leaving the breaker settings in the inverter/charger in the normal position when charging from your generator? When I charge batteries from the generator, I turn off the inverter AC input breaker and turn off inverter AC output breaker and turn on the AC bypass. The inverter will then be in bypass mode and the house is running totally on the generator. The charger will then charge batteries with no AC load connected to the inverter. If you don’t take the inverter off line when charging with an external charger, it seems like the built in charger in the magnum would be charging at the same time as the external charger. I’ve been charging this way for years since my magnum integral charger failed when it was new and I didn’t want to dismantle it to return it. I recently bought the 48 volt, 25 amp charger and EG4 LiFePo4 batteries and the charger seems to work reasonably well. Maybe not 25 amps, but close. I could be misunderstanding your set up, but I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents anyway.

We have had similar problems with battery/ inverter start-up, as well as red warning lights with EG4 batteries mentioned in previous posts. Fortunately, our batteries seem to be working well lately, but I’ve experienced the same issue with the SS 48 volt, 25 amp charger. The charging process took a little longer than expected, but the indicator lights on the charger go from flashing red to flashing green. No yellow lights at all. Near the end of the charge cycle, the voltage went from 55.2 to 58 volts in just a few minutes before I turned the charger off. I don’t think we’re getting a full 1400 watts of charging power, but can’t prove it. Whenever I charge batteries with the generator, I bypass the inverter completely by turning the AC input breaker to the inverter off, the inverter AC output breaker off, and the inverter AC bypass breaker on. That way, 100% of the power from the charger goes directly to the batteries.

I’m curious when you say that your house is drawing 3-5 amps according to your magnum. Are you leaving the breaker settings in the inverter/charger in the normal position when charging from your generator? When I charge batteries from the generator, I turn off the inverter AC input breaker and turn off inverter AC output breaker and turn on the AC bypass. The inverter will then be in bypass mode and the house is running totally on the generator. The charger will then charge batteries with no AC load connected to the inverter. If you don’t take the inverter off line when charging with an external charger, it seems like the built in charger in the magnum would be charging at the same time as the external charger. I’ve been charging this way for years since my magnum integral charger failed when it was new and I didn’t want to dismantle it to return it. I recently bought the 48 volt, 25 amp charger and EG4 LiFePo4 batteries and the charger seems to work reasonably well. Maybe not 25 amps, but close. I could be misunderstanding your set up, but I thought I’d throw in my 2 cents anyway.
I leave the Magnum running as normal and use the EG4 at the same time. I do not have the AC input even wired for use as of now nor any solar panels. The reason why I don’t want to use the magnum charger or bypass is I use a Honda eu2000 running on propane to charge with. If I were to use the AC input the inverter would use its transfer switch and the little Honda wouldn’t have the power to run the house and charge at the same time.

Say I’m in bypass and charging then my wife decided to use the 1800w microwave bad juju happens And it’s not good. I don’t want her to let out the manic smoke.

still frustrated, haven't heard anything new

Looking into different products, ran into Lt. Dan post about this charger

This is the charger on Alibaba

He verifies the output in this thread

This appears to be the company that makes them

They have various different models.

I'm sure whatever Signature Solar is selling is a clone or based off it

They come in 800w and 1500w version. .... The old Shanghai Switch-A-Roo', swap the 1500w with the 800w power supply, make a jazzy sticker. Oldest trick in the book.

I'm going to try and go back to my original idea of using the HP 51v Server power supply ESP120

I have to find this screw and adjust it to 53.8v, should give me 99% state of charge.

I am not sure if it is CC/CV

It was $80 on ebay I'm already way over budget but I can't get anything worthwhile to work....

If it worked it'd charge the battery in about 1.5 hour ...

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-01-28 01-48-13.png
    Screenshot from 2022-01-28 01-48-13.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • HP-PS-1 (2).jpg
    HP-PS-1 (2).jpg
    289 KB · Views: 17
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 16
New development, from SS Customer Service:
"Due to miscommunication between the manufacturer and us we will no longer carry the 48V 25A chargers. I do apologize for this inconvenience.
With that said, we have 2 solutions you can choose from.
1) Keep the 48V 18A chargers, we will issue you a refund for the price difference.(48V25A$259.99 - 48V18A$199=$60.99) On top of that we will issue you a $50 credit to use on a future purchase.
2) Return the chargers and receive a full refund less the shipping cost to you."

I bought two chargers, on two different orders/shipments, but they will only gave me one $50 credit.

New development, from SS Customer Service:
"Due to miscommunication between the manufacturer and us we will no longer carry the 48V 25A chargers. I do apologize for this inconvenience.
With that said, we have 2 solutions you can choose from.
1) Keep the 48V 18A chargers, we will issue you a refund for the price difference.(48V25A$259.99 - 48V18A$199=$60.99) On top of that we will issue you a $50 credit to use on a future purchase.
2) Return the chargers and receive a full refund less the shipping cost to you."

I bought two chargers, on two different orders/shipments, but they will only gave me one $50 credit.
And then I got another email saying that because I got the chargers at a discounted price, I will only get $40.87 refund.

Upon finishing replying to not do that, because I didn’t agree with that amount, I saw the emails saying that I was refunded $40.87

Last edited:
Back