diy solar

diy solar

25A 48V charger only putting out low 14A 700-800 watts

@Signature Solar
@SignatureSolarUS

So it isn't just me, our chargers aren't "1200-1400w 25A" as we're sold on. Not even close.

Can you fix this and make this right?

I actually need 25A to charge from a generator until I get my build site level, culvert, structures, etc in April
We are researching now and will definitely make this right. PM me your info please.

Hey there!
Trying to figure out where you linked me from regarding this issue. I'd love to do some more research but I don't recall ever stating I'm making a video about the battery charges. Anyways, I'll look into this further and see what's going on, if we have multiple people complaining like this there might be something going on. Feel free (this applies to anyone at all) to PM me your order info so I can look into the exact product you purchased and see if we can run additional tests on this. Thanks everyone!
This is the thread https://diysolarforum.com/threads/eg4-48-volt-battery-charger.30896/page-3
It seems that was someone else with Signature Solar user name that linked you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220126-181101_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220126-181101_Chrome.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 13
I have the same problem. I think the charger draws more power from my generator then what goes into the batteries. I have also removed the alligator clamps and replaced them with ring terminals bolted strait to the bus bars. The most I’ve seen going into the batteries is 14.5 amps. But I am also charging while my house is drawing between 3-5 amps says my Magnum. The charger is drawing 1050 watts from my generator.

on my 12.8v system I charge with a Victron IP22 Blue. It draws 450w from the generator and puts out a full 30 amps.

when I got my system setup I ran my generator for two days. I used 4.5 gallons of fuel and never got them charged. I don’t have panels yet so the Honda is going to be getting a work out.

On a side note. I did notice that the charger says that it works from 90v to 264v. I wonder to get the full 25 amps it may take running it off a 240v generator?
Please PM me your info. We are researching this now and want to make sure everyone is taken care of. Thanks!

I'm just jumping in on this right now, but will definitely be researching the issue as well as the interaction he had with our team. We want to make sure this is taken care of properly. I asked this user to PM me his info and if you were affected please PM me as well. Thanks!

I'm not affected beyond my personal outrage that someone at your organization could spew such utter incompetent nonsense.

Re-train that person or terminate employment.

I'm just jumping in on this right now, but will definitely be researching the issue as well as the interaction he had with our team. We want to make sure this is taken care of properly. I asked this user to PM me his info and if you were affected please PM me as well. Thanks!
PM sent

Thank you for looking into this problem.

I'm not affected beyond my personal outrage that someone at your organization could spew such utter incompetent nonsense.

Re-train that person or terminate employment.
I have experience with lithium batteries, BMS, and chargers, I couldn't believe the "splaining"

Probably, not a lot of peoples bought the charger, and had the LCD battery that shows the current, or had a DC AmpMeter to check the charger output.
I bought the 12KW Growatt, but I don't have the solar panels installed yet, and I don't have the space for too many panels, so in case of a long power outage I will have to use my generator, and my generator have only 120V output.

I have experience with lithium batteries, BMS, and chargers, I couldn't believe the "splaining"

I would have come unglued.

Probably, not a lot of peoples bought the charger, and had the LCD battery that shows the current, or had a DC AmpMeter to check the charger output.
I bought the 12KW Growatt, but I don't have the solar panels installed yet, and I don't have the space for too many panels, so in case of a long power outage I will have to use my generator, and my generator have only 120V output.

I see these likely explanations:
1) SS is selling a mis-labeled unit. Likely the fault of their supplier.
2) Unit has incorrect specifications. Max output might be throttled by 120VAC input.
3) Unit is malfunctioning.
4) Excessive voltage drop when using the supplied alligator clamps, N/A when using fabricated leads.

The ones on Amazon that look exactly the same are rated at 20 amps max.

Mine from SS has produced 17-18 amps maximum on a 50% battery with nothing else connected.

SS website does not even has a place to download the published spec or user manual, may that is how they can get away with it.
They also show if the output will have to derated vs the AC input Voltage or not.
I wonder what kind of testing and training they really do at SS.
May be it depends on which one they ship out that day, it can be anything between. Nominal: 5 ~ 25A.

1643246432796.png

Last edited:

2) Unit has incorrect specifications. Max output might be throttled by 120VAC input.
4) Excessive voltage drop when using the supplied alligator clamps, N/A when using fabricated leads.
1. More likely.
2. I tested it at 240V input too, but no changes in the output.
3. I doubt it.
4. I believe that someone posted about installing it with ring connectors with no improvement.

When charged with the charger that's incorporated in the 12KW Growatt inverter, with communication cable between Growatt and battery installed and working , it's charging at 30A (that's what I set it up) without the BMS requesting the charger to reduce the current.

I don't have the solar panels installed yet, I will have to use my generator, and my generator have only 120V output.

I’m in the same boat. My Magnum will charge off a 120v generator also. But if I do that it turns on it’s transfer switch and I’m charging and running the house at the same time. The eu2000 don’t like that much.

We are researching any of these possibilities and will make sure to take corrective action where needed.

This is what I posted in another thread "...
contacted the tech@signsturesolar.us, and they gave me the most amazing explanations of why the charger isn't charging with 25A.
It started with " The BMS of the battery is only requesting 16A from the battery", at my question of how the BMS is communicating with the charger " the BMS is talking with the charger by controlling the voltage of the battery" at this point I asked again for an explanation of how they're communicating without having any communication cable between them, and after conferring again with his "30 years of experience, electrician, working at the test bench " he was informed by the said " technician" that (and he blew my mind with this one) " the charger has a BMS also, and is communicating with the BMS of the battery ( communicating how? but what magical means?) and adjusting the amps accordingly ( why an 100A battery will have to reduce charging when is only charged 52%?). This had to be the first charger in the history that has a BMS in it...."
And the answer, on 1/20/22, was :

"
video coming
@signaturesolarrichard"

Personally, I accepted the reality, and just ordered another one from them, it should be here tomorrow , together with more batteries.
It is not even April 1st yet! LOL!

I would think SS will have incoming QC to test these units randomly when receive them, may be I'm spoiled to have incoming QC where I worked.

I would think SS will have incoming QC to test these units randomly when receive them, may be I'm spoiled to have incoming QC where I worked.
We definitely do, both at the factory and at our location in Sulphur springs. Once we determine what went wrong here (was it a specific unit, batch, pallet, etc) we will do our best to make changes so it doesn't happen again in the future.

We definitely do, both at the factory and at our location in Sulphur springs. Once we determine what went wrong here (was it a specific unit, batch, pallet, etc) we will do our best to make changes so it doesn't happen again in the future.
OK, will wait for the result, same for the SPF-5000ES/US results.

Back