diy solar

diy solar

25A 48V charger only putting out low 14A 700-800 watts

Is anybody besides myself getting tired of all the smart-ass comments directed towards Signature Solar? Don't reply because technically this is off topic. Just hit the like button.

OK, will wait for the result, same for the SPF-5000ES/US results.
And i'm still waiting to hear how they will fix the issue of the lifepower batteries not starting my Schneider inverter. Been waiting over a month but that's another topic.

Concerning their chargers... when i received my lifepower batteries, the soc lights indicated they were between 25 and 50% charged. I hooked up the chargers with the expectation that my battery should be fully charged in about 3 hours if they were in fact putting out what they claim. Surprise, my batteries were fully charged within 3 hours. Unfortunately, i didn't get an exact soc on the bms prior to charging so it was a rough estimate based on soc lights. I did keep a very close eye on things while charging, checking the batteries every couple minutes. When the batteries soc light indicated a 50-75% charge, it took just over one hour more to get to the 75-100% soc light, indicating the charger was putting out very close to what it is rated for. I was satisfied that it was producing the 25amps it's rated for.

My other observation was that while the soc indicator on the eg4 battery turned to 75-100%, the charge indicator lights on the actual charger never changed from the <80% to the >80%. It just went directly from the red <80% to the green 100%. Never hit the yellow light indicating >80%. Weird but i can live with it.

FWIW i was using a predator 8750 inverter generator with two eg4 lifepower batteries being charged separately by two of the 25 amp chargers with the OE alligator clips. No other loads on generator. Also, both batteries were 100% charged within 5 minutes of each other. I charged four batteries this way with the same results every time. BMS confirmed they were all 100% after charging.

I've noticed several others were using much smaller generators or their inverters which may contribute to their issue.

Last edited:
I will give @signaturesolarrichard positive marks for being responsive and not getting defensive. I'm willing to suspend disbelief that SS is run by a bunch of goobers for the time being.

:)
Agreed. I appreciate that he's here. His tone and lack of ego are the best thing SS have going in their cs department. I don't expect him to have all the answers but it's obvious he is making a real effort to help people.

And i'm still waiting to hear how they will fix the issue of the lifepower batteries not starting my Schneider inverter. Been waiting over a month but that's another topic.

Concerning their chargers... when i received my lifepower batteries, the soc lights indicated they were between 25 and 50% charged. I hooked up the chargers with the expectation that my battery should be fully charged in about 3 hours if they were in fact putting out what they claim. Surprise, my batteries were fully charged within 3 hours. Unfortunately, i didn't get an exact soc on the bms prior to charging so it was a rough estimate based on soc lights. I did keep a very close eye on things while charging, checking the batteries every couple minutes. When the batteries soc light indicated a 50-75% charge, it took just over one hour more to get to the 75-100% soc light, indicating the charger was putting out very close to what it is rated for. I was satisfied that it was producing the 25amps it's rated for.

My other observation was that while the soc indicator on the eg4 battery turned to 75-100%, the charge indicator lights on the actual charger never changed from the <80% to the >80%. It just went directly from the red <80% to the green 100%. Never hit the yellow light indicating >80%. Weird but i can live with it.

FWIW i was using a predator 8750 inverter generator with two eg4 lifepower batteries being charged separately by two of the 25 amp chargers with the OE alligator clips. No other loads on generator. Also, both batteries were 100% charged within 5 minutes of each other. I charged four batteries this way with the same results every time. BMS confirmed they were all 100% after charging.

I've noticed several others were using much smaller generators or their inverters which may contribute to their issue.
We have this on our docket and actually purchased a number of third party inverters for testing. It has been delayed due to the safety issues that were brought up and we will be working on this issue again shortly.

Just got my shipment, only the batteries, the charger was missing.
I won't be able to test the second charger as promised, and I am left with only 900W of charging power if we get a power outage :( .
It will probably take a very long time to get a resolution on both of the issues (low charger output, and missing charger from my shipment)
I guess that we can blame this on the pandemic too.

Just got my shipment, only the batteries, the charger was missing.
I won't be able to test the second charger as promised, and I am left with only 900W of charging power if we get a power outage :( .
It will probably take a very long time to get a resolution on both of the issues (low charger output, and missing charger from my shipment)
I guess that we can blame this on the pandemic too.
Send me your order number. The missing product will be easy to fix likely. Still working on the complicated one!

We are finding some issues with the most recent batch capping out at 17-20A, this is unacceptable, and we are working on nailing down what serial numbers are involved. the main engineer team at the factory is out due to Asian new year but we will either rebate/replace to make this right as things are better understood.

DM us if you are having this issue and we can work with you.

Last edited:
@Signature Solar
@signaturesolarrichard

I'd appreciate it if you had any that tested at spec of 25A that you can send it to my shipping address, sent as a PM (entire order #) as soon as possible as a replacement. It is my friends farm and I only make it there once a month. It costs $100 in fuel to get there. I will be leaving sometime around Feb 8th to get another package.

@Signature Solar
@signaturesolarrichard

I'd appreciate it if you had any that tested at spec of 25A that you can send it to my shipping address, sent as a PM (entire order #) as soon as possible as a replacement. It is my friends farm and I only make it there once a month. It costs $100 in fuel to get there. I will be leaving sometime around Feb 8th to get another package.
DM and we'll square this away

You can call me a goober just don’t call me late to dinner.
It is good to see that you are very active about solving lots of issues you have with the products you are selling, the more transparent you are by providing the results and what will be done to solve the issues the better it will be for your company, the customers, and the QC department.
it is a bad timing for you to have to deal with all these issues during Chinese new year, but nothing you can do so hoping for the best for you.
Just take all of these issues as a good lesson on how to make your company better than other companies, not too many companies will go on public forum and have active communication with the members like you do, it is good to see that, not like one of the battery company that blames the customer first with the defective battery (key word: white grease). P.S. I hope my English (my second language) writing makes sense to you.

Send me your order number. The missing product will be easy to fix likely. Still working on the complicated one!
Just got the confirmation that a charger is going to be shipped to me without waiting to find if it was the warehouse, or the carrier fault. That was FAST.
I will report back when I will receive it, and if it's one of the "real" 25A, or not

Thank you.

@ signaturesolarrichard
Who is 'SignatureSolarRay' at your company?
I just got the email notification regarding to this thread.
WHO IS THIS SIGNATURESOLARRAY A-HOLE, YOU NEED TO TALK TO HIM IMMEDIATELY!
It looks like he deleted his comment but it still shows in my Email.

BMS is in the charger is the explanation, really?
It looks like SIGNATURESOLARRAY is the one that does not understand and know how the unit function or how it works but he works for your company?

SignatureSolarRay replied to a thread you are watching at DIY Solar Power Forum.

sunshine_eggo said:
What a bunch of bullshit.

@Signature Solar
@SignatureSolarRay
@signaturesolarrichard
@SignatureSolarUS
Which are you referring to as bullshit your comment or the fact you did not understand the explanation correctly or were unable to understand? We are here to help best way we can and sometimes make mistakes or need time to get answers. you just wanna argue, feel free to look elsewhere.

Last edited:
@ signaturesolarrichard
Who is 'SignatureSolarRay' at your company?
I just got the email notification regarding to this thread.
WHO IS THIS SIGNATURESOLARRAY A-HOLE, YOU NEED TO TALK TO HIM IMMEDIATELY!
It looks like he deleted his comment but it still shows in my Email.

BMS is in the charger is the explanation, really?
It looks like SIGNATURESOLARRAY is the one that does not understand and know how the unit function or how it works but he works for your company?

SignatureSolarRay replied to a thread you are watching at DIY Solar Power Forum.

sunshine_eggo said:
What a bunch of bullshit.

@Signature Solar
@SignatureSolarRay
@signaturesolarrichard
@SignatureSolarUS
Which are you referring to as bullshit your comment or the fact you did not understand the explanation correctly or were unable to understand? We are here to help best way we can and sometimes make mistakes or need time to get answers. you just wanna argue, feel free to look elsewhere.
Yup, that's the guy that told me the same thing over the phone, that the charger has a BMS, and if I don't like it, to return it.
I hope that he isn't the " electrician with 30 years of experience " that the techsupport was talking about.

If it's gone it's gone. no need to resurrects things.
There are people out there that do not do well with social grandstanding.
No tweet resurrections here pls
"There are people out there that do not do well with social grandstanding. " you mean the people that works for you?
I'm curious if he has the same attitude with other customers as well, he is just happen to get caught and thinking that his reply was deleted.
Also the fact shows that you do have bad batch of the unit after the member suggested that may be the case.

Last edited:
Back