diy solar

diy solar

$260 lipo battery build questions

Daledevon

I wanted to try and build 2 of these for my RV. I can't figure out where Will ordered these cells. I know he said eBay for these used cells, but I can't figure it out.

Do you have a link to what you are talking about?

I wanted to try and build 2 of these for my RV. I can't figure out where Will ordered these cells. I know he said eBay for these used cells, but I can't figure it out.

Do you mean lifepo4 or lithium polymer or something else?
Most of us are interested in lifepo4.

In the comments below his videos Will normally provides a link to the things he used in the video.

Sometimes that link is to HIS WEBSITE where he has battery recommendations that he is constantly changing and updating.

He said it was on the website, I went there but could not really figure it out. I don't want to order the wrong thing. One other thing I,m not sure about is he puts 4 cells together for a 100 amphr battery. Can you put 5 cells and get 125? Would there be any advantage of problems if you have the room?

If you put 5 cells in series, you will have to high of voltage. These are 3.2V cell X 4 = 12.8. 5 cells would make a 16V battery.

Things are constantly changing. If these cells were used and on Ebay a month ago, they may be all sold. It might be a good idea to buy Will's book and read up on basic electricity also.

If you put 5 cells in series, you will have to high of voltage. These are 3.2V cell X 4 = 12.8. 5 cells would make a 16V battery.

Things are constantly changing. If these cells were used and on Ebay a month ago, they may be all sold.
Thanks for clearing that up. I just like the gamble of $520 vs the known performance of Battleborn at $1,900. More money to blow elsewhere.

Thanks for clearing that up. I just like the gamble of $520 vs the known performance of Battleborn at $1,900. More money to blow elsewhere.

Most of the rest of us do as well. I just got brand new 190AH grade a cells ordered directly from China ..... 8 will make a 380AH 12V battery. The problem is that shipping from China is being affected by the virus.
Go to the new post link and scan thru and you will find quite a few cells being purchased and tested by members on here .... some good, some bad.

Before I decided to make a larger battery for my RV, I ordered a fully assembled 100AH battery with Bluetooth monitored BMS. I got this battery for about $430 including shipping, which was half the cost. Since then, the contact I had has left the company and I don't like the responsiveness of the new people who are contacting me ...... So, keep an eye on new thread because things are changing rapidly.

Last edited:
I would go by the threads of people who have already bought batteries and can help with who are the good and bad providers. There are some .... maybe many Chinese providers on Alibaba and Aliexpress trying to sell grade B cells and pretend they are new cells.
Do your homework on here and you will be ahead of the game.

THIS THREAD is an example of what you can find on here if you watch and do some searches. You can bookmark those threads so you can easily go back and find them later.

Most of the rest of us do as well. I just got brand new 190AH grade a cells ordered directly from China ..... 8 will make a 380AH 12V battery. The problem is that shipping from China is being affected by the virus.
Go to the new post link and scan thru and you will find quite a few cells being purchased and tested by members on here .... some good, some bad.

Before I decided to make a larger battery for my RV, I ordered a fully assembled 100AH battery with Bluetooth monitored BMS. I got this battery for about $430 including shipping, which was half the cost. Since then, the contact I had has left the company and I don't like the responsiveness of the new people who are contacting me ...... So, keep an eye on new thread because things are changing rapidly.
Wow, that is awesome capacity

P.S. If you are just looking for a cookbook ..... better stick with the recommendations and designs on Will's webpage.

You can ask him question on here directly by addressing @Will Prowse in your post.

Wow, that is awesome capacity

I have found better options than those since then .... there is a thread about 280AH cells where you would only need 4 cells like in Will's build to have great capacity.

HERE is a long thread about the 280AH cells .... I think there are others about those. The provider here is getting very popular on here.

@Will Prowse I am new to this but really like the thought of this much capacity. While I don't travel below 0. I have been below freezing. I am looking at 380 watts solar (that is what I can fit). I thought I would use the victron controller. My intent is to do the batteries and then the solar. I'm just nervous about not getting the right thing. I bought the book. What am I overlooking.

Back