diy solar

diy solar

280ah Battery Top and Bottom Support Design.

Heap64

Solar Enthusiast
Joined
Feb 12, 2020
Messages
193
I'm planning to build a couple 12v batteries using the 280ah cells. Every since seeing the Fortune batteries on a couple of Wills videos I have been thinking about making my own pieces on my 3d printer. This is my current design. I'm thinking of using Lego like features to allow a top cover for each cell to snap on. I won't be using the series connection to join cells end to end but I notched it out if needed. That would require a busbar with an offset. The extra pieces near the middle should allow bms wires to be routed there. I still need to decide where to mount a bms. Maybe on the top piece? Thoughts/Feedback.
 

Attachments

  • 1584134247109_280ah Cell Top Support Lego Version.png
    1584134247109_280ah Cell Top Support Lego Version.png
    106.6 KB · Views: 296
  • 1584134245462_280ah Cell Bottom Support.png
    1584134245462_280ah Cell Bottom Support.png
    78.9 KB · Views: 288
Last edited:
I envy you as my printer is not large enough to print the base as one piece. I have designed and test printed a top to cover in two pieces (4S battery) and will upload the STL files once I have adjusted the dimensions now that the cells have arrived.
 
This is designed for each cell, then use threaded rod to hold them all together.
 
I really like your design but unfortunately in my case, I have a height constraint of 1.5 cm above the cell height so have to use a flat cover that rests on the terminals.
 
Your design looks great! I was thinking of making something similar for 190ah cells.
 
Your design looks great! I was thinking of making something similar for 190ah cells.
If you do .... let me know how much you want for some. Problem is I gotta assemble my batteries pretty soon. Just testing now.
 
Unfortunately I cannot even begin to design them since I do not have the cells in hand yet. Once I do Ill draw up the parts and print a few prototypes and post them.
 
Attached is the spec sheet with the cell dimension which I can confirm, seem to be accurate.
 

Attachments

  • LF280.pdf
    702.2 KB · Views: 96
Attached is the spec sheet with the cell dimension which I can confirm, seem to be accurate.
That's good to confirm as that is the same information I used for my design. I might print one set just to see how they print. I just designed a snap on cover with openings that should work for a Chargery BMS8T that just happens to look like it would fit on one cell nicely!
 
I was on the thoughts of 3D printing something for my 280ah batteries which are in a pelican case. I've now moved on to building something out of aluminum angle, tig weld it up and be done with it.
 
I was on the thoughts of 3D printing something for my 280ah batteries which are in a pelican case. I've now moved on to building something out of aluminum angle, tig weld it up and be done with it.
You can use a metal case BUT you have to line it with a non-conductive insulator, to prevent cells, wiring etc from making contact with the case. You also have to make sure that "nothing" can get to the top of the cells, a lot of unpleasantness can happen very fast, with one small booboo.
 
You can use a metal case BUT you have to line it with a non-conductive insulator, to prevent cells, wiring etc from making contact with the case. You also have to make sure that "nothing" can get to the top of the cells, a lot of unpleasantness can happen very fast, with one small booboo.
Oh yes thats easy and it will not be full enclosed. It was going to be coated with rubber or bed liner spray.
 
You have done a fantastic job; just wish that I had the space to incorporate your design:(
 
Could you incorporate wire management anchor points?
. Thanks for the feedback. My thought was the wires would run in the middle near the vent. I left some spaces for the bms wires to get to the battery posts. I could possibly make some clips too. I doubt I will produce these for sale due to cost and time to print. But I would be happy to share the stl files.
 
. Thanks for the feedback. My thought was the wires would run in the middle near the vent. I left some spaces for the bms wires to get to the battery posts. I could possibly make some clips too. I doubt I will produce these for sale due to cost and time to print. But I would be happy to share the stl files.
I understand. You are doing great work, and willing to share it. You rock.
 
I don't know for sure so I asked forum member Bidule Ohm what gauge he is using for the BMS he is designing. He recommends 18 awg.
 
To be more specific my BMS isn't like the majority and you can have a pretty high balancing current (4.5 A) so that ask for bigger wires than the majority of BMS. I'd understand if you don't have the room for wires that big and (probably) very few people will use the max capability of balancing so very few would need 20 or 18 AWG wires.
 
9654-518e54718a64f52e07d653cbf570d68d.jpg
How did you get such a nice tight fit with it? I didn't think 3d printers had such nice tolerences.

Will it survive a wrench impact? Are there different materials that night have been better?

What printer did you use?
h792348A1
 
Tolerances are pretty amazing. You print at .2 mm layers. How solid the part is dependent on what fill you specify durring the slicing process. I'm using a 25% infill and that seems plenty strong for this. I'm using pla filament so far and a $300 Sovol printer. I'm really happy with it. You just have to be patient. Parts like the top take 19.5 hours to print!
 
Top piece updated with wire channels. And a top cover that snaps on. I have another with tweaks for a Chargery BMS on the drawing board. I doubt I will print it until I actually order one to have on hand.

IMG_20200326_094413.jpg

IMG_20200326_094421.jpg

IMG_20200326_094446.jpg

Now I just need to pull the trigger on an order of cells and BMS.
 

diy solar

diy solar
Back
Top