diy solar

diy solar

280ah Battery Top and Bottom Support Design.

I know one thing. I will be using PETG.

I also would never ever use copper tubing flattened. You can buy nice copper bar on Amazo

Like to see more pics of this. What size case is this? I used a pelican 1440

I used pla for the original parts as I get better detail in my prints with that. I had some petg that I used on the end pieces as they don't have that much detail to them and it is stronger.

I used pla for the original parts as I get better detail in my prints with that. I had some petg that I used on the end pieces as they don't have that much detail to them and it is stronger.
Its definitely more difficult to print with PETG.

This is my build. All PETG used.
Looks good.

I also would never ever use copper tubing flattened. You can buy nice copper bar on Amazon.
Any suggestions on quality copper bar for this application?
If you print end caps from PLA just don't try to open the caps in cold weather it will snap. Don't keep your. assembly on open sun it will twist.
under a bed in a camper van avoids this :)
Its definitely more difficult to print with PETG.
My friend who is running this job for me on his printer is much more experienced with PLA, which is another reason I went with PLA.

My second batch of cells arrive on Friday, as does the filament order. I will post pictures as well. Thanks for sharing the design @Heap64

I also would never ever use copper tubing flattened. You can buy nice copper bar on Amazon.
What's wrong with flattened copper tubing? Why you don't like it? I know you can buy, but sometimes the lengths is the issue, if its not standard assembly. Or if you need to make 90degree buss bar, copper tubing comes handy. You can do nickel plating or solder plating.
Grade L tubing its 99.9% pure copper.

Last edited:
What's wrong with flattened copper tubing? Why you don't like it? I know you can buy, but sometimes the lengths is the issue, if its not standard assembly. Or if you need to make 90degree buss bar, copper tubing comes handy. You can do nickel plating or solder plating.
Grade L tubing its 99.9% pure copper.
To me it just doesn't look as nice, and the 110 custom cut flat stock are like $3 each. I am confident properly done copper tubing bus bars would work fine. I would even use the bus bars that came with my cells if they fit this housing but they are too short.

One nice thing about flattened copper tubing is that you can flatten it over lengths of copper braid, since there are risks with using solid bus bars damaging the terminals as batteries expand/shrink.

One nice thing about flattened copper tubing is that you can flatten it over lengths of copper braid, since there are risks with using solid bus bars damaging the terminals as batteries expand/shrink.
You will be using braided one? Those are nice one. I could not find them on Amazon.ca

You will be using braided one? Those are nice one. I could not find them on Amazon.ca
Pretty easy to make. I made my own. You can buy the braid on eBay. I got nickel-plated braid and plated copper tubing since the battery terminals are aluminum (grr) and copper+aluminum=bad

Keep in mind folks that these were designed for the EVE 280 Cells. My files won't do you much good unless you are using those same cells. If you are drop me a message in the IM. And I will send you the files via email.
Wow, this is a great find!! Thank you.

I can confirm these work with the Lishen 280ah cells too. The only problem I had was the top_cover STL did not fit the top_support STL. The lego did not seem to line up and the width/depth of the cover was slightly smaller than the support, It appears to be scaled down slightly Gonna scale up and try again. But the top and bottom supports fit the cells nicely. I used the Makerbot Replicator+ and Tough PLA.

Thanks again!

Wow, this is a great find!! Thank you.

I can confirm these work with the Lishen 280ah cells too. The only problem I had was the top_cover STL did not fit the top_support STL. The lego did not seem to line up and the width/depth of the cover was slightly smaller than the support, It appears to be scaled down slightly Gonna scale up and try again. But the top and bottom supports fit the cells nicely. I used the Makerbot Replicator+ and Tough PLA.

Thanks again!
Interesting that it didn't fit for you? If you IM me your email I can send you my stl files directly. Maybe something got jacked up in the thingiverse process?

First bottom support printed, fits like a glove stiff as a board.
Curious, what material did you use? None of mine fit unless I remove the lego studs from the cover. I printed everything at a layer height of 0.2mm. I then tried 0.15mm. Still could not get them to snap together.

Thanks!

Interesting that it didn't fit for you? If you IM me your email I can send you my stl files directly. Maybe something got jacked up in the thingiverse process?
So after ordering new filament (since the one I used was over a year old and stored in the open), I tried it again at 0.15mm and both pieces snapped together perfectly.

Thanks @Heap64!!!!

Curious, what material did you use? None of mine fit unless I remove the lego studs from the cover. I printed everything at a layer height of 0.2mm. I then tried 0.15mm. Still could not get them to snap together.

Thanks!
PLA from matterhackers. I haven't printed a top cap yet. Glad it's working for you now!

Print the top covers top side down. That may help as otherwise first layer squish can cause fitment issues.

Back