diy solar

diy solar

280ah Battery Top and Bottom Support Design.

Finally got it put together. I waited for full assembly to start balancing charging and testing my cells because I didn't want them to expand uncompressed. Looks like I have a couple cells out of spec internal resistance. Going to try to get a partial refund and replace them later.View attachment 53690
are you going to just parallel them with wires?

I used longer studs on those two spots then added just enough spacer under the cross bar to clear. I also have a different top cover for those two cells with room to work with that bar.
Have you had any issues with that longer bus bar heating up? I'm capacity testing right now and that bus bar is a few degrees above ambient and voltage is slightly low on those two cells I think due to resistance. My spacers are stainless steel washers stacked up. They cover the entire surface of the terminals.

I think I need to strap the two halves together more securely. It looks like the end plates have a cavity on the inside of the end caps where the allthread goes (gap, pictured). Did you intend for this to contain a strap to turn the battery into one giant brick?

I think in my application I might need to do that as bolting to the floor isn't going to be enough. this is going in the back corner of a 4x4 van and it's gonna get trounced pretty hard occasionally and I don't want that bus bar or these long studs moving.

1624763042849.png
I am imagining a rectangular piece of metal here that tightly holds the allthread rods together. Open to suggestions on how best to accomplish that other than drilling a piece of flat stock and hoping the holes line up really nicely.

Yes I used a small strap to tie them together. I just measured the holes and drilled some flat stock I had. The spacer I used on the cross cell bar is solid and I haven't noticed anything odd there yet.

Last edited:
Love your design. When I pull my 280Ah battery from my camper for the winter I'm planning to redo with your printed design. Anyone have a remix that would fit a 200AH at 174 x 54mm (vs the 174 x 72mm of the eve)?

Yes I used a small strap to tie them together. I just measured the holes and drilled some flat stock I had. The spacer I used on the cross cell bar is solid and I haven't noticed anything odd there yet.
I ended up putting double stacked 1/8" aluminum flat stock and it is solid as a rock. I completely overbuilt this electrical system it never goes below 90%, but I have yet to run a laptop all day and watch TV at night, it's just a weekender out in colorado right now. I will post some installation pictures when I get some more time.

I ended up putting double stacked 1/8" aluminum flat stock and it is solid as a rock. I completely overbuilt this electrical system it never goes below 90%, but I have yet to run a laptop all day and watch TV at night, it's just a weekender out in colorado right now. I will post some installation pictures when I get some more time.
Have a picture of that?

Wanted to chime in here as well. I printed this setup on my Ender 5 Plus. Came out really well after a few tweaks to my settings. I currently have 4 cells set up in 4S for a 12v pack. I have another 4 cells for which I will print a second set and then plan to make it a 24v pack. I have an Overkill BMS on the pack and I am charging and balancing. Will probably got to an 8s BMS once the other pack is printed and assembled. Thanks very much for posting this up on Thingiverse. It has been a fun project so far.eve-batt.jpeg

Wanted to chime in here as well. I printed this setup on my Ender 5 Plus. Came out really well after a few tweaks to my settings. I currently have 4 cells set up in 4S for a 12v pack. I have another 4 cells for which I will print a second set and then plan to make it a 24v pack. I have an Overkill BMS on the pack and I am charging and balancing. Will probably got to an 8s BMS once the other pack is printed and assembled. Thanks very much for posting this up on Thingiverse. It has been a fun project so far.View attachment 62381
Looks great! I got the same battery setup (24v) and BMS, have you finished your 24v version? Im looking for the files to start printing :)

Looks great! I got the same battery setup (24v) and BMS, have you finished your 24v version? Im looking for the files to start printing :)
I am in the process of printing my second set of 4 cell parts. The first set of four are currently hooked up to an OverkillSolar 12v BMS and are now balanced. I have that 12v pack hooked up to a 1500w inverter on a bench and running my work laptop and a monitor. Only pulling about 50-60w so I am pleased with the performance so far. This project really helped me to dial in my printer. Pieces are coming out very nicely.

Wanted to chime in here as well. I printed this setup on my Ender 5 Plus. Came out really well after a few tweaks to my settings. I currently have 4 cells set up in 4S for a 12v pack. I have another 4 cells for which I will print a second set and then plan to make it a 24v pack. I have an Overkill BMS on the pack and I am charging and balancing. Will probably got to an 8s BMS once the other pack is printed and assembled. Thanks very much for posting this up on Thingiverse. It has been a fun project so far.View attachment 62381
Thanks for the photo. While I am waiting for my cells, I am using my Ender 3 Max to start printing some of the case pieces. Do you have any photos with the 4 top covers removed? I would like to see how you ran the BMS wiring, please.

Here is mine for reference, the wires on mine all leave in the upper left corner under the cover that is on. My REC BMS is mounted nearby.

PSX_20210920_183506.jpg

Back