diy solar

diy solar

280AH cells

jasonhc73

Cat herder, and dog toy tosser.
Everybody that has ordered and received their 280 (272 also) cells.

Have you experienced any "cell swelling"?
As shown in this BYD teardown(
) that happened practically instantly as soon as the compression was removed.
This video said that cell expansion is "irreversible swelling".

I have 280A EVE cells...after at least 3 full charge / discharge cycles, and a few mid SOC high current draw sail trips, there is no swelling... not sure what you're trying to exemplify with the videos, but the used cells from the breakdown could have been - actually most likely, abused...

I've been running my EVE 280's for a while, put them through "controlled" semi-abusive Thrash Tests and I cannot say I've noted any swelling of any sort.

The OLD ShunBin Pack... when I cut the strapping binding the cells, they ALL puffed a bit. Those were used EV cells so I am not surprised at much. I did gently re-squeeze them and repacked them and installed the cells into new boxes.

Those BYD Battery Assemblies come from Grid Level Storage systems and as such have seen hard uses. Harder the usage and over time will result in puffing. I really doubt those BYD assemblies only saw low C-Rate use, not what they were designed for.

Everybody that has ordered and received their 280 (272 also) cells.

Have you experienced any "cell swelling"?
As shown in this BYD teardown(
) that happened practically instantly as soon as the compression was removed.
This video said that cell expansion is "irreversible swelling".
Cell swelling is real, even the spec sheet mentions it. I wouldn't call it irreversible, the cell will indeed swell when fully charged, but it is very subtle unless over charged. The spec sheet on the Eve cells says (I think) 2mm, which my eyeball agrees with. It goes away when fully discharged in my very limited experience. If you overcharge the cells, it is not subtle at all.

Back