diy solar

diy solar

280AH Eve cells mixed with 280 AH CATL cells in series

Skinny76

Sorry if this is out there already. I searched for a while and did see similar discussions, but not exactly what I was looking for.

I have 8 CATL (I think) cells and about to have 8 more Eve cells. All are new and 280ah. Is it ok to mix them in series? I plan two separate 8s 24 volt battery banks and will parallel them. Each will have it's own 24 volt overkill solar BMS. So, cell 1-3-5-7 will be CATL and 2-4-6-8 will be Eve for each bank. I will top balance all before connecting in series. If the terminals heights and batteries are the same dimensions, will this be a problem?

I'll attach a photo of what I think are CATL cells so I can be corrected to the proper manufacturer.

Thanks everyone.
20210507_174335.jpg

Should be fine. Although I would have a CATL battery and an EVE battery and the two of them in parallel.

Should be fine. Although I would have a CATL battery and an EVE battery and the two of them in parallel.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it mattered either way since they are both new and same capacity. I'm pretty stoked to get it all assembled. This will be a lot of energy storage for an 18 ft travel trailer.

I have 8 CATL (I think) cells and about to have 8 more Eve cells. All are new and 280ah.

Have you capacity tested and proved they all have 280ah? I dont think CATL makes a 280ah battery, only a 271ah and a 310ah.

Mixing 2 different capacities means you would only have the lower of the 2 capacities.

If making 2 separate batteries, why alternate the cells?
I dont know. I thought I had read somewhere to do that, but cant remember where. So you are saying to keep them in two separate battery packs? I'm just making sure I do it the right way.

Have you capacity tested and proved they all have 280ah? I dont think CATL makes a 280ah battery, only a 271ah and a 310ah.

Mixing 2 different capacities means you would only have the lower of the 2 capacities.
I'm not 100% convinced that the batteries are CATL. They were supposed to be Eve cells. That is why I posted a picture for possible verification. The first batch did test to 280 ah, so that must mean they are something else. I haven't received the 2nd batch of Eve cells yet for testing. They just got to port today. Probably wont be here for another 2 weeks if I had to guess.

I dont know. I thought I had read somewhere to do that, but cant remember where. So you are saying to keep them in two separate battery packs? I'm just making sure I do it the right way.
I think if you were making one big battery you would pair up a CATL and an EVE in parallel as you assemble.

If you were making 2x 8s batteries, I would do 1x 8s EVE and 1x 8s CATL and wire the 2 batteries in parallel. Keep like cells together.

Back