diy solar

diy solar

280ah Lifepo4 Leisure Battery - Build Thread

Thank you @mrdavvv - the little black things near the positive terminal are midi fuses. I thought it made sense to fuse everything seperately so that if 1 fuse blew I still have other charging capabilities.

I thought the Victron Battery Protect was for load, so I only had it attached to the fuse box load so that it would shutdown access to appliance if the voltage of the battery was too low.

When you say battery disconnect, is that the same as described above?
Hello.

I mean some of this:

1587995087803.png

Really useful for when you need to work in the battery, also safer.

Attachments

• 1587995084193.png
    1587995084193.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 1
I looked over the Smart Charger manual and it is ok to use for your initial charge of the battery.

Watch individual cell voltages very close to ensure that no cell exceeds manufacturer specifications.

It will be very useful to have the shunt and BMV operational at the start of the process.

You will need a Digital Multi Meter (DMM) to monitor individual cell voltage so you might add that to your list of products to buy. It will be needed through the life of the system anyway.

Hi @Tball - It's going into an Iveco Daily. It used to be a 17 seater minibus, but we are slowly ripping things out and building a home! You can see my progress on instagram (harrisvanadventures).

I just followed you! Will be cool seeing the background technical side of the build here, and then the cool stylized IG pics! I’m doing a very similar build for my off grid backup home power.

@mrdavvv - perfect! I have added on on the main postive cable! Thank you :)
@Pacer - Thank you! I'll try to post more often! Sounds like an awesome project you have. Are you documenting it?
@JC777 - Thanks for the reply. I have a multi meter, so that is handy. So you think I can just build into 4s, attach the BMS and BMV-712 operational and attach my Smart Charger? It seems that is does absorb to 14.2v and float to 13.5v - they seem like save numbers!

I just followed you! Will be cool seeing the background technical side of the build here, and then the cool stylized IG pics! I’m doing a very similar build for my off grid backup home power.
I’m following as well!

Thanks @Tball !

Update:

Ordered ISDT BG-8S Battery Checker
Ordered a 30V 10A Adjustable DC Power Supply to perform initial Top Balance;

1) Check voltages (hope for something similar)
2) Setup in parallel, leave overnight to settle
3) Connect PS to battery bank, set to 3.6V and maximum A
4) Wait for Amps to drop to almost 0 and disconnect
5) Remove busbars
6) Monitor cell voltages
7) Build into 4s configuration
8) Install BMS
9) Use battery

What BMS and MPPT will you be using?

Edit: Nvm I see it now totally missed it haha don't know how

Thanks mate, I need someone to do this for a 200w setup and just copy it haha. Some of the research is a bit exhausting as a first timer, mostly just sizing things like fuses, wires, bms, the doing a comparison to save a few bucks.

Hey, no problem. I have done so much research it hurts! There is still so much more to learn. Do you have 200w of solar?

Hey, no problem. I have done so much research it hurts! There is still so much more to learn. Do you have 200w of solar?

Yeah gonna go with the victron 75/15 for my mppt but I’ll order that and my panels in about a month once it gets closer to the time that my cells are due to arrive (just ordered them today).

Trying to figure out the right BMS size for my setup but I'll probably just get a 100a one and play it safe.

I need to work on designing a diagram like yours it's a great visual and shows all the stuff you need to buy.

Sounds awesome! BMS size, I just went for a 120a one, I can't see getting anywhere near that, so like you say, play it safe.

I use my diagrams for references for what I have bought and what I still need to get and it's an easy way to get some feedback on a system design. I'm really happy with my design now! It only takes 5 minutes to throw one together. I've fused the next range up from what I can output. So for your 75/15, it can output 15a so I'd throw a 20a fuse between the MPPT and battery. I think they say 10%.

You are progressing very well.....top tier products too. Doing the leg work gives you a through knowledge of the system and will come in handy when something goes KAPUT.

Sounds awesome! BMS size, I just went for a 120a one, I can't see getting anywhere near that, so like you say, play it safe.

I use my diagrams for references for what I have bought and what I still need to get and it's an easy way to get some feedback on a system design. I'm really happy with my design now! It only takes 5 minutes to throw one together. I've fused the next range up from what I can output. So for your 75/15, it can output 15a so I'd throw a 20a fuse between the MPPT and battery. I think they say 10%.

Thanks dude. I'm in Europe as well, bought those battery terminals you listed. Is there anything else you ordered from China that you can think of that would be useful?

Thank yoi @JC777 !

@loverofpeace - a few things i have ordered on top of cells and BMS. 30v 10a ppwer supply to conduct inital charge in parallel and a cell voltage monitor. I think I'll also be ordering a capacity tester, which is essentially a way to slowly discharge the battery.

Thanks mate. I ordered a 120a BMS and called it a day. It'll be good for piece of mind and should support a full 1000w inverter at full load and then some. Could you please send me links to the other things you mentioned?

@loverofpeace cool stuff!

Cell checker https://www.hobbyrc.co.uk/isdt-bg-8...57e312ov2e8NolXcC5gNgt7C_8SIqCxhoC45MQAvD_BwE

Power supply, something like https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eventek-Ad...ed-Alligator/dp/B071HW378T?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1

Thats were i am at atm. Looking at discharge stuff, but might do it manually.

Cool I’m buying the same battery balancer/checker from amazon. You can get that charger for about half the price on aliexpress (shipped from within the EU, so no duties and quick shipping).

Link here

Back