diy solar

diy solar

280ah Lifepo4 Leisure Battery - Build Thread

Upgraded the battery yesterday to all aluminium busbars, nuts and bolts!

View attachment 19849

How much did the aluminum bus bars, nuts and bolts cost you and from where did you source them (especially aluminum nuts and bolts)?

Also, what conductor type are you using for the leads to the BMS and what material is used for the lugs on those leads?

why did you upgrade the bus bars, did the xuba ones run really hot?

Not really, however they don't look like they could take many amps and i was concerned about galvanic corroaion.

How much did the aluminum bus bars, nuts and bolts cost you and from where did you source them (especially aluminum nuts and bolts)?

Also, what conductor type are you using for the leads to the BMS and what material is used for the lugs on those leads?

Everything was from ebay UK, probably cost me £15 all in.

Hello, how is this build going? Did the most recent diagram you posted work as expected? I am interested in building one of these for car camping to power a CPAP machine for several days. I think my current inverter is 750W, 500 running, but I'm not even using that, so very low amps. If anyone who has done this can give me a rough estimate on weight, by my calculations it's looking like roughly 46 lbs. for the batteries alone, that would be great. Also, I will need a charger as I don't have solar panels, so suggestions there also. Help for somewhat of a n00b please. Thanks!

Hello, how is this build going? Did the most recent diagram you posted work as expected? I am interested in building one of these for car camping to power a CPAP machine for several days. I think my current inverter is 750W, 500 running, but I'm not even using that, so very low amps. If anyone who has done this can give me a rough estimate on weight, by my calculations it's looking like roughly 46 lbs. for the batteries alone, that would be great. Also, I will need a charger as I don't have solar panels, so suggestions there also. Help for somewhat of a n00b please. Thanks!
You're about right on the weight. The cells are 11lbs each. By the time you add BMS. Bus bars, bolts, washers, etc., you are probably close to that.
For a charger, there are a lot of different variables. Are you going to charge it every day? How fast will you need to charge? Is this a vehicle system? AC, or DC input?
If you are going to charge it from your vehicle, you will need to boost your voltage and use a charge controller.
If you are talking about AC charging, there are plenty of chargers for lithium batteries out there.
Either way, be sure to think of your future configuration to be sure that it will be compatible with what you ultimately build into your system. Overbuying for your current needs with quality products ensures that you can install them into a larger setup later.

Not going to charge every day probably only about 10 times/year in summer months. Overnight charge is plenty fast for me. Not a vehicle system and will charge at home before taking out camping. I'd just like to charge this thing and take it camping for a week or so, several times per summer.
So this set up will work huh? I've seen 100Ah builds that cost very similar, so it seems like a good deal. Also, did you buy the same very cheap batteries from the link? Are they any good? Thanks for your quick response.

Last edited:
Hello Mrdanielmh. This is a wonder thread. I am following it as it is very helpful . You do a great job updating. I can't wait to see you finish. I am new to this and love reading everyone's post.

This was discussed earlier in the thread about the separate wires coming off the BMS. This is how I dealt with them.
View attachment 18956View attachment 18957View attachment 18958View attachment 18959View attachment 18960View attachment 18961View attachment 18962
FYI many companies uses 2+ cables inside a single "conduit" for better heat dissipation. Tesla supercharger cables have such a configuration.

Based on these 2 calculators :

If I eye ball the wires from the BSM above at 12AWG, from the first site :

- 3 x 12AWG = 7AWG
- 7AWG cables don't exist, so average between 6 (75A) & 8 (55A) = 65A
- 12AWG = 30A

The original 3 cables could handle 90A and the combined one only 65A.

[edit] just realized the numbers above are for copper but the theory/practice stands for aluminum.

Back