diy solar

diy solar

280ah Lifepo4 Leisure Battery - Build Thread

Initial charge and top balance was successful (I think!). I used the power supply set the 3.614v and eventually the pack at the battery go to exactly 3.600. I measured across the cells and they were also all showing 3.600.

I have now configured the battery into series configuration. I have noticed that the cells have started to drain which is normally, but they are no longer in sync. I think this is normal and most likely isn't a problem. But if anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it!

Currently the battery in series is showing as: 13.93v and the cells are as follows;

A: 3.485
B: 3.484
C: 3.479
D: 3.482

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your feedback add questions as this is helpful for others like myself. I have had my batteries forever and still not done this and should. Had been more focused on the build and getting the batteries in the case. Yet before all that is done I need to top balance them. I was holding off waiting for charger. What are you using to charge yours?

Hey @tim0shel - No problem, i'm very new to this and still learning! The thing that is hardest is knowing what is normal. For example my cells are naturally dropping (which is normal) but I'm not sure if they should still be in sync, as they have started to drift!

I used a 30v/10a adjustable power supply to charge mine for the top balance.

Hey @tim0shel - No problem, i'm very new to this and still learning! The thing that is hardest is knowing what is normal. For example my cells are naturally dropping (which is normal) but I'm not sure if they should still be in sync, as they have started to drift!

I used a 30v/10a adjustable power supply to charge mine for the top balance.
Yes I know what you mean I also had to learn to not overthink it and just go with it lol. Hopefully here soon I'll have my battery tray finished and get these things installed in the case.

I'm no LiFePo4 expert, but I don't think a few millivolts difference is going to matter.
If you were having drops of a tenth of a volt, I would start to worry.

My camper has a dedicated battery compartment, so I intend to construct my own restraints to hold the batteries secure.
Once I remove the battery box required by the FLA, there should be enough room to house 8 cells.

All tidied up and placed into a box. Just waiting for some cables so i can rum battery Terminal to box terminals!

IMG_20200613_203913.jpg

Initial charge and top balance was successful (I think!). I used the power supply set the 3.614v and eventually the pack at the battery go to exactly 3.600. I measured across the cells and they were also all showing 3.600.

I have now configured the battery into series configuration. I have noticed that the cells have started to drain which is normally, but they are no longer in sync. I think this is normal and most likely isn't a problem. But if anyone has any feedback I'd love to hear it!

Currently the battery in series is showing as: 13.93v and the cells are as follows;

A: 3.485
B: 3.484
C: 3.479
D: 3.482

Thanks!
Those look pretty close given you are still up the knee a bit at full charge. The cells are not draining, the voltage just settles a bit when charge is removed. You are still at 100.0% charge. I'll bet if you discharge 1% of your capacity, just a couple Ah, they will tighten up and be within 1-2 mV. At least that was my experience with my 280Ah cells. In fact I would discharge a bit anyway rather than leave them at 100.0% charge.

Those look pretty close given you are still up the knee a bit at full charge. The cells are not draining, the voltage just settles a bit when charge is removed. You are still at 100.0% charge. I'll bet if you discharge 1% of your capacity, just a couple Ah, they will tighten up and be within 1-2 mV. At least that was my experience with my 280Ah cells. In fact I would discharge a bit anyway rather than leave them at 100.0% charge.

You are absolutely spot on! Ive drained a little bit out with some 12v usb chargers and they are come a bit closer together! My BMS isnt showing the correct percentage or AH so im going to try a full discharge and recharge once some stuff turns up!

Back