diy solar

diy solar

2kw solar, 5kw battery, 24v on a camper... but where to put ground?

IvoryO

So I have an AIO MPPT like Will Prowse does in his 24v setup.

My setup is also 2kw solar, and has a 5kw battery rack. So his walkthrough seems very direct and simple enough to follow....

BUT he never seems to talk about ground much? So I'm trying to figure out what I need to do for a camper about ground? My solar array will be mounted on the camper at first (but when I get to location I'll be setting it up on the ground).

I read that some say you need to run a wire (from where?) to the metal frame of the trailer. But the camper is designed to be removed from the trailer....

Then I also ready you definitely SHOULDN'T do that? Hmm

You can search Grounding and get lots of info. If I understand your situation you will essentially have a tiny home that is movable. I don’t really visually understand the solar array but panels should be grounded from their frame to collective ground in structure. Or from their frame to earth in a ground mounted situation.
You didn’t specifically say if grid will be available? If not it’s fairly straightforward.
All grounds from structure wiring and frame of inverter should be grouped to earth.
If off grid neutral and ground should be bounded together at inverter as well.
If a generator is used you should check to see if the ground and neutral are bounded in it. You only want to be neutral bonded once. Most small generators are not bonded.
You could have a place to connect the ground to the trailer since you will have a ground exiting the building if you intend to use it on the trailer as well.

Back