diy solar

diy solar

2x 40A MPPT - Circuit breaker size?

Wael

Hi everyone! I have a question (noobie here) I can't seem to find an answer for. I watched plenty of youtube videos and read a few solar system books and countless of hours googling stuff. I have "The Classic 400W" set up on my camper van and it works like a charm. Now I'm building a tiny off-grid house. I plan on getting the "off grid king solar package" recommended by Will. That puts me with 800W of solar panels, (2) 40A MPPT charge controllers (so 80A charge controller power) and I plan on getting (2) 300AH LifePo4 batteries with a 4000W inverter. Am I on the right track? The set up will be in the glorious California desert sun.
Now my question is, do I get (1) 100amp circuit breaker or (2) 50amp circuit breaker for the (2) 40A MPPTs? Is there a particular way to wire them to get the "80A MPPT" power? I don't think I saw any details about wiring them together in Will's book - unless I missed it.

Each controller should have its own breaker. So 2 50A breakers. Wire each one to the bus bars just like the other components. There's nothing special about having two charge controllers. Wire each one separately as if the other one wasn't there.

Each controller should have its own breaker. So 2 50A breakers. Wire each one to the bus bars just like the other components. There's nothing special about having two charge controllers. Wire each one separately as if the other one wasn't there.
Perfect, thank you for the clarification and quick answer!

Back