diy solar

diy solar

2x Growatt 12000t dvm?

JamesB

I just got into solar and waiting to install panels on my roof. My scope has change a few times, but now I want my batteries and solar to provide off grid type power for my home. I purchased 2x Growatt 12000t dvm inverters. I initially purchased one, but realized the 7k limitation wouldn't get me where I wanted to be.

My impression was that I could use them together to allow usage of 13.6kw of panels. That being said, I read on another solar forum that they aren't "stackable"and it went on about AC output.

Can someone enlighten me as to what I just got myself into? Does this mean both of them can utilize AC as an additional input source or does it mean they can be used as outputs?

Their outputs don't stack, so if you want to use them, they will need to output to different/separate loads.

So they won't work together to charge the batteries or power the electrical panel? What is the best route to go then? Different brand of all-on-one inverter rather than Growatt? Could I split the load from my current main panel into two panels and power them independently using the Growatts?

Some people have many different inverters feeding different circuits. This guy has 6:

It all depends on how you want to run stuff and your need for redundancy. Personally, if I needed a system that had the potential for expansion, I would definitely get a stackable type inverter. It also makes battery management simpler since all your batteries would be controlled by one inverter group.

The AC of the two inverters will have to be separate from each other. (Feeding different loads) but, they can share the same battery bank.

So I would have to create two electrical panels and half the load basically. Do people do that? I was reading somewhere else and it sounds like I have to call the power company (Eversource) to make sure I can do that.

@timselectric Are you certain i can use both inverters to charge and manage the batteries? That's just basically hooking up the negatives to a busbar and positives to a separate busbar, right?

So I would have to create two electrical panels and half the load basically.
Correct

Do people do that?
Rarely, because it's a more complicated system.
And requires more money, effort, and space.
But, it will work fine.

I was reading somewhere else and it sounds like I have to call the power company (Eversource) to make sure I can do that
It has nothing to do with the power company. Because it's behind the meter and won't be exporting power to the grid.

Are you certain i can use both inverters to charge and manage the batteries? That's just basically hooking up the negatives to a busbar and positives to a separate busbar, right?
Both systems can charge and discharge from a single battery bank. As long as you don't exceed the max ratings for the batteries.

So any advice since I seem to have painted myself into a corner? Apparently, I need to look at the specs for my batteries too.

My guess is selling the inverters that I have coming privately and buying new ones would be just as costly or more than splitting the main panel into two.

Luckily the battery is the simplest part.
Either together or separate, amount of battery required is the same.

Back