diy solar

diy solar

2x Multplus II 48/3000 vs 1x Multiplus 48/5000?

Messier11

Hi everyone,

I am sure it’s just temporary, but it seems like most vendors in Europe are running out of stock of the Multiplus II 48/5000 hybrid inverter. Hard to find good offers and the cheaper vendors only has the GX version.

Meanwhile I’ve seen some really good offers for the 48/3000 version. As it is right now, I can basically get 2 x 48/3000 for a price that is just 70 USD more than 1 x 48/5000.

As I understand the Multiplus is “stackable”. But I am having a hard time understanding how that actually works. What do you guys think, is two stacked 48/3000 much better than one 48/5000? What are the pros and cons?

To get a three phase system (480v AC), I would need three stacked right?

Hi everyone,

I am sure it’s just temporary, but it seems like most vendors in Europe are running out of stock of the Multiplus II 48/5000 hybrid inverter. Hard to find good offers and the cheaper vendors only has the GX version.

Why not get the GX version?

Meanwhile I’ve seen some really good offers for the 48/3000 version. As it is right now, I can basically get 2 x 48/3000 for a price that is just 70 USD more than 1 x 48/5000.

And double the wiring with more wiring rules and components (special breakers and residual current devices), and probably a larger idle draw.

Figure 2X with additional stuff isn't $70 more but more like $500 more.

As I understand the Multiplus is “stackable”.

Yes.

But I am having a hard time understanding how that actually works. What do you guys think, is two stacked 48/3000 much better than one 48/5000? What are the pros and cons?

Configuration and an RJ-45 data cable between them along with the special hardware and rules mentioned above.

To get a three phase system (480v AC), I would need three stacked right?

Yes.

@sunshine_eggo Thanks!

Re the DX, I was thinking on going with a RPI4 anyway, as I understand it that makes the DX mute. The RPI4 is kind of home ground for me, these stuff aren’t. ;)

All info on the stacked Multiplus that I can find are about two 120v used to create 240v. But I would get the European version of course that is 240v. What does that really mean, that you always connect them in parallel right and not “split phase”? Or? Is the result basically just something that is twice as good on one phase?

In addition, one benefit with 2 times 48/3000 is also that it’s a lot easier to get three phase in the future. Being able to use the welder etc would be a good benefit.

The larger idle draw is an obvious con of course…

@sunshine_eggo Thanks!

Re the DX, I was thinking on going with a RPI4 anyway, as I understand it that makes the DX mute. The RPI4 is kind of home ground for me, these stuff aren’t. ;)

DX = GX? I don't know what a RPI4 is.

All info on the stacked Multiplus that I can find are about two 120v used to create 240v. But I would get the European version of course that is 240v. What does that really mean, that you always connect them in parallel right and not “split phase”? Or? Is the result basically just something that is twice as good on one phase?

120V units can be stacked to give double power on 120V or 120/240V split phase.

230V units can be stacked to give double power on 230V or stacked to make 3 phase. I don't know for certain, but I think you can do 2X stacked to form 2 of the 3 legs of a 3 phase power, i.e., two separate 230V legs 120° out of phase.

DX = GX? I don't know what a RPI4 is.

120V units can be stacked to give double power on 120V or 120/240V split phase.

230V units can be stacked to give double power on 230V or stacked to make 3 phase. I don't know for certain, but I think you can do 2X stacked to form 2 of the 3 legs of a 3 phase power, i.e., two separate 230V legs 120° out of phase.

Yeah sorry I am real tired, long day at work and it’s over 1am here in Sweden.
DX = GX and 240v=230v lol ?

Theoretically, could I get the third leg for the three phase in the AC in from the inverter?

I'm not sure what you're asking here. Are you referring to three total inverters? If so, yes.

Here's a schematic using Quattros:

Nah, sorry for being unclear, was tired, Multiplus II has two AC outputs. One critical kid and one that only gives power if there is an AC input. My system is off grid, but when I run the AC generator connected to one of the Multiplus I would in fact have three physical AC outputs.

I.E two x AC-OUT-1 and one c AC-OUT-2:
03E2007F-2069-4714-89AC-9EAFEE63F00E.jpeg

Hence I was wondering if those 3 could form a three phase branch m.

2x 3000 is more expensive, but provides redundancy if one fails.

Also, you have more charge current when using grid/generator (2x 50A vs 70A for a single 48/5000)

Availablity is an issue with a lot of products, and prices vary. I do see multiple sellers who have the 48/5000 in stock, at least here in the Netherlands.

Personally, if space isn't an issue, I would consider 2x 3000. More power (6000VA vs 5000), redundancy if one fails, and higher charge current from grid, for only $70 difference as you said.

Nah, sorry for being unclear, was tired, Multiplus II has two AC outputs. One critical kid and one that only gives power if there is an AC input. My system is off grid, but when I run the AC generator connected to one of the Multiplus I would in fact have three physical AC outputs.

I.E two x AC-OUT-1 and one c AC-OUT-2:
View attachment 83990

Hence I was wondering if those 3 could form a three phase branch m.

Ah. AC-2 and AC-1 are the same phase - always. AC-2 is energized by a relay that connects it to AC-1 when AC-in is active, so, no - no additional phase from AC-2.

2x 3000 is more expensive, but provides redundancy if one fails.

Also, you have more charge current when using grid/generator (2x 50A vs 70A for a single 48/5000)

Availablity is an issue with a lot of products, and prices vary. I do see multiple sellers who have the 48/5000 in stock, at least here in the Netherlands.

Personally, if space isn't an issue, I would consider 2x 3000. More power (6000VA vs 5000), redundancy if one fails, and higher charge current from grid, for only $70 difference as you said.

Redundancy is not automatic. If any unit in a parallel system goes down, ALL parallel units go offline. The operable unit would need to be reprogrammed to operate in standalone mode.

Back