diy solar

diy solar

3.2volt 12v 1000ah build charging question

jomac915

Just built a (see post title) 1000ah LiFePo4 battery for my Ford Transit van build. I am using the 500A Daly BMS.
I have a 450W solar set up with MPPT charging along with my DC-DC which I've yet to install.
Question: I would like to set up shore power charging. I'm a noob watching only YouTube videos. Any recommendations on an AC-DC charger? Thx in advance.

(picture is my temporary set up. It'll get cleaned up)

IMG_20211013_165823.jpg

I have had good luck with Magnum Inverter/chargers. Note: you need to get the remote to change and set charge parameters.

I already have a 5000W GIANDEL pure sine inverter. I guess I was thinking I need a separate AC to DC charger. The Victron IP65. Thoughts?

5000W inverter on a 12V system? How do you plan to wire that? You really should be looking at a 48V battery to use a 5000W inverter.

5000 ac watts / .85 conversion factor / 12 volts low cutoff = 490.196078431 service amps
490.196078431 service amps / .8 fuse headroom = 612.745098039 fault amps

5000W inverter on a 12V system? How do you plan to wire that? You really should be looking at a 48V battery to use a 5000W inverter.
Just thought about going with the biggest. I'm running an AC fridge and she wants her 1600W induction cooktop and our 1000W microwave.

Those numbers make my point. For a 5000W inverter and a 12V battery you need wiring that can handle 500A. That’s massive and dangerous. You would need dual 4/0 cables per connection. That’s difficult and expensive. And can the inverter even support such a connection?

Joey can you explain this in layman's term?
Service amps is the maximum draw of the inverter in normal operation.
To avoid nuisance trips we / .8 to add a bit of headroom for the fuse which gives fault amps.
The wire has to be rated for at least fault amps so that the fuse blows before the insulation on the wire melts or burns.
The largest widely available wire suitable for our application is 4/0 awg welding cable.
4/0 awg pure copper wire with insulation rated for 105C is good for ~400 amps.
After 4/0 awg you either have to double the cables or start using cable that is measured in circular mills.
I agree with @rmaddy 2x 4/0 awg is required.
Alternatively 1x 400MCM.

4/0 awg is a pain to work with.
400 MCM is a royal pain in the arse.

Those numbers make my point. For a 5000W inverter and a 12V battery you need wiring that can handle 500A. That’s massive and dangerous. You would need dual 4/0 cables per connection. That’s difficult and expensive. And can the inverter even support such a connection?
Yes, currently the inverter is set up for dual 4/0 cable. It came that way.

Service amps is the maximum draw of the inverter in normal operation.
To avoid nuisance trips we / .8 to add a bit of headroom for the fuse which gives fault amps.
The wire has to be rated for at least fault amps so that the fuse blows before the insulation on the wire melts or burns.
The largest widely available wire suitable for our application is 4/0 awg welding cable.
4/0 awg pure copper wire with insulation rated for 105C is good for ~400 amps.
After 4/0 awg you either have to double the cables or start using cable that is measured in circular mills.
I agree with @rmaddy 2x 4/0 awg is required.
Alternatively 1x 400MCM.
I have access to both. 400MCM and 4/0 with the higher rated insulation.

Back