diy solar

diy solar

3 BMS purchased and all junk!

mciaio

First I bought a Seplos. That showed output short with nothing connected to the output. Then I bought a Daly. That showed 75 amp draw with nothing connected and wouldn't close the discharge MOSFET. Then I bought a JBD and it won't connect to the Bluetooth app. I need a working 14S 150amp BMS! I'm ready to scream!

Take a look at the aftermarket apps for jbd especially carplounge BMS links are on this forum I installed one today it is very good and allows adjustment

Take a look at the aftermarket apps for jbd especially carplounge BMS links are on this forum I installed one today it is very good and allows adjustment
Tried several apps. All the same. It connect but shows nothing and gives an error.

First I bought a Seplos. That showed output short with nothing connected to the output. Then I bought a Daly. That showed 75 amp draw with nothing connected and wouldn't close the discharge MOSFET. Then I bought a JBD and it won't connect to the Bluetooth app. I need a working 14S 150amp BMS! I'm ready to scream!

How can you possible have a current flowing through a BMS when nothing is connected? The BMS sits between B- and main negative. With nothing connected, there is no completed circuit for the BMS MOSFETS to conduct anything. What do you mean with an output short? A BMS doesn't have an input/output, it just sits in series in the circuit: if the BMS is shorted, the only thing you would see is the current going to the load - if there is no load, there can't be a current even if all MOSFETs are shorted.

How can you possible have a current flowing through a BMS when nothing is connected? The BMS sits between B- and main negative. With nothing connected, there is no completed circuit for the BMS MOSFETS to conduct anything. What do you mean with an output short? A BMS doesn't have an input/output, it just sits in series in the circuit: if the BMS is shorted, the only thing you would see is the current going to the load - if there is no load, there can't be a current even if all MOSFETs are shorted.
With all due respect, you are wrong on the Seplos BMS. Both the positive and the negative go through the BMS. I am not making it up, that was the error code on the computer while connected to the BMS. This is why I say it is bad.

With all due respect, you are wrong on the Seplos BMS. Both the positive and the negative go through the BMS. I am not making it up, that was the error code on the computer while connected to the BMS. This is why I say it is bad.

Yeah, you're right. The Seplos does that (even though the B- just goes through a sense resistor)... I was more thinking of the Daly drawing 75A with nothing connected. I mixed that all together in my reply...

Yeah, you're right. The Seplos does that (even though the B- just goes through a sense resistor)... I was more thinking of the Daly drawing 75A with nothing connected. I mixed that all together in my reply...
Yup, the Daly is junk! B- and the sense leads connected, it reads 59 amp draw. The BMS "output", P- or what ever you want to call it is not connected to anything.

Experienced similar current readings with a Daly 4S 200a Smart BMS. Significantly mis-calibrated current will cause readings like this. The BMS protection logic uses this same current data, so erroneous readings here will also cause the charge/discharge mosfets to operate erratically, too.

I don't have personal experience with the 16S Daly, but I do know the Daly 4S 200a Smart BMS's current can be calibrated using Sinowealth (Windows desktop app) via the USB port.

Experienced similar current readings with a Daly 4S 200a Smart BMS. Significantly mis-calibrated current will cause readings like this. The BMS protection logic uses this same current data, so erroneous readings here will also cause the charge/discharge mosfets to operate erratically, too.

I don't have personal experience with the 16S Daly, but I do know the Daly 4S 200a Smart BMS's current can be calibrated using Sinowealth (Windows desktop app) via the USB port.
This BMS uses PC Master and I tried to calibrate, didn't work. See, they are junk!

Here is the screenshot from the JBD junk. Connects by bluetooth but error codes and no values. More junk!

Screenshot_20220405-072800_XiaoXiang20.jpg

It is pretty weird that you have three BMS, which all things considered aren't the best but still have a large group of users, that all three don't work in your case. Where did you get them from? Especially JBD (and also Seplos) are pretty decent BMS for their price.
What version of the app are you using with your JBD? Can you try this one if it's not the same version: https://overkillsolar.com/support-downloads/

It is pretty weird that you have three BMS, which all things considered aren't the best but still have a large group of users, that all three don't work in your case. Where did you get them from? Especially JBD (and also Seplos) are pretty decent BMS for their price.
What version of the app are you using with your JBD? Can you try this one if it's not the same version: https://overkillsolar.com/support-downloads/
They all have different failure your modes. The Seplos was bad right out of the box, I bought it from Seplos on Alibaba. They denied warranty and said I shorted it with no proof. I am still working with Link on that one. I bought the Daly and JBD from Sriko. The DALY connects to the app and shows the info, except have wrong amperage readings and it won't calibrate. Also, the charge and discharge mosfets will not turn on when connected to the inverter. Will turn on when P- is disconnected. The JBD seems to be working, but I have no proof since it won't connect to the app. I have used this app that you have linked, many other APK I have downloaded and some of the others on google play store. I know me and my setup are the common thing in this equation, but I am fairly certain it's not me.

I know that with my Overkill Solar BMS which might be the JBD from what I understand, the app from the Play Store did not work. I had to use the app from Overkill Solar.

Is that the app on an iPhone? I don't have one of those. The app works fine on my Android phone, access both of my BMS (Overkill Solar 4s 120 amp). Maybe try an Android device instead?

Back