diy solar

diy solar

3 Phase grid tie solar system issue

tigerdim

I have just installed a 7.5 kwh solar system in my house.
The house has a 3 phase system.

The technician installed a 3 Phase Sofar inverter. After a few days of use, Im only getting 4kW total per day from the solar system, and still 30kW from the grid. (7 hours of full sunshine)

The technician explained that the way the inverter works is that is always takes the lowest producing phase, and applies this power to the other 3 phases.
So while my AC is consuming 4kWh on Phase 1, the fact that Phase 2 is only pulling 40W, means that the inverter will only produce 40W on each phase.
This seems quite incredible, and can't see why a system would be designed to work like this.

The goal of the solar system was for me to reduce my daily consumption to close to 0.
The technician tells me that the only solution is to replace my inverter by 3x single phase inverters.

Is this the only solution? I must add I'm in Thailand where excess power is supposedly not allowed be sent back to the grid. Excess is simply lost.

Any way to re-balance the loads to avoid pulling all from a single phase?
I assume the inverter is designed to assist with an actual 3-phase load such as a motor pulling equally from each.

Clearly your circuits are not very well balanced.
I would map all circuits and then lay out phase distribution over that. This way you can easily see what is causing imbalance and if it's possible to rewire or not.
If there's one or two large loads on single phase you are out of luck. In this case you could add another inverter just for those loads, or change the existing one to something that can handle phase imbalance (like Deye, Sunsynk...). The issue is that inverters that can handle phase imbalance can do it up to 40-50% of total power, I don't know of one that can do 100% imbalance.

Last edited:
Back