diy solar

diy solar

3 Phase Inverter on a Single phase home supply, On Grid Solar system, Is it possible?

rhoadesme

I have panels along with a 3 phase inverter and power optimizers. However my home is supplied with single phase power. Is a 3 phase inverter compatible with a single phase supply for an on-Grid system? My worry is that it may be possible to use but I may only be able to use one leg of the 3 phase inverter to supply my house. In doing so I'm worried that I would only be utilizing 1/3 the power generated by my array. As I am assuming the inverter evenly distributes the power to the 3 phases/legs (L1, L2 and L3). If my assumptions are correct is there any way to feed full power to the home with the 3 phase inverter. The model numbers of the panels, inverter, and optimizers are listed below. Spec. sheets are also attached. Thanks so much for any assistance.

SolarEdge P600-5NC4ARL Power Optimizers
SolarEdge Inverter SE20K-US248NNU4
Jinko JKM270PP-60 Panels

Attachments

• se-p-series-commercial-add-on-power-optimizer-datasheet-na.pdf
    398.2 KB · Views: 7
  • solaredge-se20k-us248nnu4-catalog-page.pdf
    206.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Eagle_JKM265-285PP-60-V-A2-EN.pdf
    406 KB · Views: 5
The inverter shown is a three phase battery-less GT inverter. It is designed to be fed with a three phase grid.

I am not sure of your question when you say 'supply your house'. There is suppliment house power, supply house power when grid down, and sell power to grid in additional to suppliment house power.

That inverter will not run with only one phase present. Three phase GT inverters do not need the same amount of capacitor storage a single phase GT inverter needs as such will not function on single phase.

You would have to have a three phase battery powered hybrid inverter and run AC coupling. Not impossible but also not practical.

You effectively would be using D.C. as go-between a single phase to three phase system.

When I say "supply my house" I am referring to a GT system is all. Supplement house power with the GT solar system. However by the sounds of it, it is not in my best interest to use this 3ph inverter and power optimizer setup for a single phase grid supplied home. Looks like I may be trying to sell these items as they are still brand new in the box. Thanks so much for the speedy response.

How’d you come across these units? They fall of the truck at a solar farm construction site?

LOL. Oh my goodness no. I purchased them from an auction of a commercial solar supplier that I'm assuming went out of business. The panels will still be good for me (50 Panels) but I will need to sell the other items. Everything is still new, unopened. I have the one inverter and 3 boxes of 10 optimizers. (30 total). You wouldn't be interested in purchasing them would you? Or maybe know someone who would be? I am willing to take a small loss on them in order to recoup some of my expense at least so I am not out the full amount and stuck with unusable items. Thanks again for the help thus far and any further assistance you can provide.

I have no interest but if you reach out to other local installers they might be interested, that or eBay will find a home for them.

Back