diy solar

diy solar

30 amp or 60 amp?

evilroy

Have been running a 30 amp Epever MPPT charge controller on my 600 watt 12 volt solar for several years but see 60 amps is now recommended,
just wondering if the performance or increased output would be worth it?

We need more info. Battery size and the specs of your solar panels would be very helpful.

How many panels wired how?
Mounted tilted or flat?

Do you ever see your SCC putting out the full 30 amps? You're likely not getting a full 30A from your panels. Your array size and controller size ratio is known as 'over-paneling' and it rather common. If your panel current goes over the charger capacity it simply doesn't utilize the excess past the 30A output rating. So you might lose an amp or two at peak.

You are over the upper end of recommended total capacity for your 30A unit, even for a 40A one.

EDIT: I was looking at 24V rating - if you're charging at 12V your 600 watts is probably not being fully utilized.

at6z2n8qt0ta.jpg

Last edited:
Have been running a 30 amp Epever MPPT charge controller on my 600 watt 12 volt solar for several years but see 60 amps is now recommended,
just wondering if the performance or increased output would be worth it?
What do you mean you see it is 'recommended'?
By whom? for what? Its not a recommendation that can be made in the abstract, these are just two different sizes of a thing.

If your system currently meets your needs, and you are not exceeding the safe limits of the controller, no need to change anything. That said it sounds like you may be quite overpaneled with a 30A controller (600W/12V=50A)

Last edited:
Have been running a 30 amp Epever MPPT charge controller on my 600 watt 12 volt solar for several years

If you aren't bumping into the 30A output limit a 60A wouldn't make a meaningful difference. "If it works, don't fix it."

How many panels wired how?
Mounted tilted or flat?

Do you ever see your SCC putting out the full 30 amps? You're likely not getting a full 30A from your panels. Your array size and controller size ratio is known as 'over-paneling' and it rather common. If your panel current goes over the charger capacity it simply doesn't utilize the excess past the 30A output rating. So you might lose an amp or two at peak.

You are over the upper end of recommended total capacity for your 30A unit, even for a 40A one.

EDIT: I was looking at 24V rating - if you're charging at 12V your 600 watts is probably not being fully utilized.

at6z2n8qt0ta.jpg
That is what my understanding is, your table verified it, where did you get the chart...seems my controller is working within perameters then.

That is what my understanding is, your table verified it, where did you get the chart...seems my controller is working within perameters then.
Your setup can be "within parameters" and at the same time still be limited by the charge controller.
Based on that chart (edit: maybe that chart isn't accurate, what model do you have), the 30A controller can handle an input power of up to 1170W, but at the same time will still be a bottleneck if your array is producing more than ~390W. BUT if your current system meets all of your needs and you have an energy surplus, it doesn't much matter if it is a bottleneck or not, upgrading would just give you more of a surplus (which is never a bad thing, but may not be worth the extra $)

Last edited:

That table is likely from an older EPEver charge controller. I apologize for just grabbing one, thinking they're all the same. Below is the one from the current Xtra model, which should be the same for the AN series. Let us know which model you have, or we can see if there's a manual with spec specifically for it.

And now I see I was looking at the wrong column again - there's normal operating, maximum PV array, and for 12 AND 24V.
So yeah, the 3210 is max 580 watts at 12 volts.

Depending on the age of your panels, their orientation, and how you have them wired - series or parallel - and how many, would determine if you're over or not on wattage for your controller. Your controller will only put out up to 30 amps regardless.

Being a little over on watts is fine as long as your voltage does not exceed the specs. A lot of people will 'over-panel' their setup to account for shading, low sun, poor angle, etc. You might loose a little energy production at peak solar gain with an over-paneled system.

Here's the resource link on over-paneling your system: https://diysolarforum.com/resources/overview-of-over-paneling-an-mppt-controller.229/

Just add another 30 amp and you have 780 watts capability then. And if one fails, you have redundancy.

Back