diy solar

diy solar

30 Percent Tax Credit ?

Since you've got solar, you could put an electric fence around your property.
To keep the IRS agents out.
Funny you say that, my electrical inspector made me put a fence around my ground mount, and under the front so no kiddies could crawl in. I used an old chain link fence, then he was happy.

The array is in an active cattle pasture, enclosed by a high tensile steel wires with electric fencer attached to it. If kids get by that, I guess they really want to touch my array.

Is the 30 percent retro active? So those who finished building this year can receive a credit.

Anyone thinking the tax credit is wrong, should think about not writing off interest paid on their home. My house is paid for, why am I helping others pay for theirs? Silly logic I guess. Forget politics, get involved with your local community and life will be better.

Thank you to all who share knowledge on this forum.
Here's an article to help clear that up;

"The tax credit applies to residential adopters of solar technology. If the bill is passed, the 30% credit will be retroactively applied to anyone who installed their system since the beginning of 2022."

Over the years I had two types of agents show up at my business. The one's with guns were auditing a customer who had been paying for his lumber with cash. It turns out he was trying to launder money by doing a major remodel of a home and barn. I few months later I read in the paper he was arrested. I think they had been staking out the home for some time and identified all the material suppliers and probably trades people as well.
I would think strong proponents of the right to bear arms would be happy to see armed IRS agents, the more guns the better
No I didn't just hear it somewhere. It was some federal review group I forget the name of at the moment (way too many beurocracies). I think some (most?) Is not a direct tax, but will have the same effect and jack up everyone's costs more. I mean hello, if you crank the taxes up on a business, do you really think they'll swallow it? No, they'll treat it like any other cost increase and raise the cost of their goods, or they'll cut costs elsewhere and won't hire as many people, or even can projects, or whatever it takes to try to rebalance their books. Or they'll go offshore to someplace else, that will really help out people...
Thanks, like I thought not a tax increase

Wow, this thread has taken something that likely benefits everyone from the US on this forum……

And turns it into a political sh!t show.

I’ll show myself out.
Well when you take $10 outta my pocket and let me have $2 back if I "do the thing" not much benefit IMHO.

Here's an article to help clear that up;

"The tax credit applies to residential adopters of solar technology. If the bill is passed, the 30% credit will be retroactively applied to anyone who installed their system since the beginning of 2022."
Thank you, lots of good questions asked in the discussion below the article.

I really want to buy additional solar panels, but I have enough debt in other areas. I don't know what to do. There is never excess money, and loans never run out. So deciding on another loan is like a direct duty of every citizen who just wants to live well. What do you do when your credit history doesn't allow you to make the desired innovations right now? I've read all the advice on Greedy Rates about credit history, but I'm still embarrassed to involve myself in another expense.
Here you go.

If you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it.

... and neither can the taxpayers already getting gouged out of existence.

Last edited:
You can’t possibly believe that statement.

Bank Customer: "What seems to be the problem?"
Bank: "Mam, your checking account is overdrawn, again."
Bank Customer: "Oh, dear. No problem. Let me write you a check."

Last edited:
Inflation means I could get nearly a 10% raise this year on my S.S. Biggest raise since '81. Good thing I took all that covid money and put it on my roof for a 26% immediate return and charged my EV which nearly completely insulated me from the inflation that caused me to get a raise. The circle of money is a wonderful thing!

With virtually everything else exceeding 10%, your SS raise will not keep up with the losses. Remember, the way inflation rates are calculated now has changed from past years. Many vital daily expenses (food and energy) have been removed from the equation to artificially (read: misrepresent) keep the reported inflation value down. We all are painfully aware of the current cost of food and energy.

Medicare Part B premiums for 2022 jump by 14.5% from this year, far above the estimated rise in cost

Inflation 2022: Here's what's getting more expensive at the grocery store

The cost of eggs has soared 38%, and prices for other goods have also jumped: Flour is up 22.7%, chicken 17.6%, milk 15.6%, ground beef 9.7% and bacon 9.2%. Fruits and vegetables got 9.3% more expensive. (Note: none of these are the reported 8.2% or lower)

Fuel in California is up over 100+%, $6.80/gal locally versus $2.80/gal 22 months ago.

Don't kid yourself, every product and service shipped to you have not been "insulated" from the fuel and shipping increases, thus you are paying for those increases (including the cost of solar products).

Last edited:
With virtually everything else exceeding 10%, your SS raise will not keep up with the losses.
I'm sure that's true for the average recipient even if the raise did end up being 10% but now it's now official, 8.7% is what we're getting. For me that works out to a little more than $225 a month+ the $5 reduction in Medicare premiums.
Inflation is calculated by combining price increases over several different daily expenses. You mentioned eggs. I pay no attention to the price of eggs and eat 2 of them a day. We've been trading with neighbors for several years. Yesterday I bought my first 23 gallons of diesel for my f250 since Russia invaded Ukraine back at the end of Feb. and don't use gasoline in my car. It's full electric and the lease payment is locked in at $298 a month. I don't pay to charge it because I charge it from my solar system. My shack is paid for and I don't pay interest on my credit card. We make our own bread and tortillas with flour from a 100lb. supply. 60% of all of my electric use is covered by my solar system too, not just charging my car.
That $230 raise will darn near make the $298 lease payment on my car.
Not sure why you shared the link to the medicare increase I had last year for Part B? Part B is going down this year by a little over $5.
Please tell me how I'm falling behind? I'll hurry up and correct the deficiency.
I was not prepared back in '78 as inflation began to run out of control but got lucky and bought my 1st house before interest rates broke over 7.5%. When I sold it the buyer took a 12% loan. The years that followed were brutal for a young father of 2 but I managed somehow. By 1984 nobody in this country were getting raises except those on Social Security. Us blue collar workers were taking pay cuts. Electricians got hit especially hard losing $10,000 a year off the check. That was hard shit right there. It took us 10 years to get back to the wage level we enjoyed in '83.
Like I said, I'm coming into this eyes wide open and well prepared. I suggest everyone look hard at their own shit right now because you are right, as for the average American.
Lots and lots of Americans are going to get beat up financially over the next 2 years or so even if the war doesn't widen or persist through the winter. Too much damage has already been done.
Tomorrow we will can the last of the salsa for the year.
I hope you've been preparing as well.

Last edited:

With virtually everything else exceeding 10%, your SS raise will not keep up with the losses. Remember, the way inflation rates are calculated now has changed from past years. Many vital daily expenses (food and energy) have been removed from the equation to artificially (read: misrepresent) keep the reported inflation value down. We all are painfully aware of the current cost of food and energy.

Medicare Part B premiums for 2022 jump by 14.5% from this year, far above the estimated rise in cost

Inflation 2022: Here's what's getting more expensive at the grocery store

The cost of eggs has soared 38%, and prices for other goods have also jumped: Flour is up 22.7%, chicken 17.6%, milk 15.6%, ground beef 9.7% and bacon 9.2%. Fruits and vegetables got 9.3% more expensive. (Note: none of these are the reported 8.2% or lower)

Fuel in California is up over 100+%, $6.80/gal locally versus $2.80/gal 22 months ago.

Don't kid yourself, every product and service shipped to you have not been "insulated" from the fuel and shipping increases, thus you are paying for those increases (including the cost of solar products).
Good story except the SS COLA is based on a measure of inflation that includes energy and food costs, to be specific they use the CPI-W. So does the government published CPI number most commonly used, the most recent being a 0.4% MoM for Sep 2022, called the CPI-U. The index that excludes food and energy rose 0.6% MoM in Sept 2022.

Energy declined 2.2% MoM in Sept 2022 which is why the inflation measure without food/energy rose less than the CPI-U

I'm sure that's true for the average recipient even if the raise did end up being 10% but now it's now official, 8.7% is what we're getting. For me that works out to a little more than $225 a month+ the $5 reduction in Medicare premiums.
Inflation is calculated by combining price increases over several different daily expenses. You mentioned eggs. I pay no attention to the price of eggs and eat 2 of them a day. We've been trading with neighbors for several years. I bought my first 23 gallons of diesel for my f250 since Russia invaded Ukraine back at the end of Feb. and don't use gasoline in my car. It's full electric and the lease payment is locked in at $298 a month. I don't pay to charge it because I charge it from my solar system. My shack is paid for and I don't pay interest on my credit card. We make our own bread and tortillas with flour from a 100lb. supply. 60% of all of my electric use is covered by my solar system too, not just charging my car.
That $230 raise will darn near make the $298 lease payment on my car.
Not sure why you shared the link to the medicare increase I had last year for Part B? Part B is going down this year by a little over $5.
Please tell me how I'm falling behind? I'll hurry up and correct the deficiency.
I was not prepared back in '78 as inflation began to run out of control but got lucky and bought my 1st house before interest rates broke over 7.5%. When I sold it the buyer took a 12% loan. The years that followed were brutal for a young father of 2 but I managed somehow. By 1984 nobody in this country were getting raises except those on Social Security. Us blue collar workers were taking pay cuts. Electricians got hit especially hard losing $10,000 a year off the check. That was hard shit right there. It took us 10 years to get back to the wage level we enjoyed in '83.
Like I said, I'm coming into this eyes wide open and well prepared. I suggest everyone look hard at their own shit right now because you are right, as for the average American.
Lots and lots of Americans are going to get beat up financially over the next 2 years or so even if the war doesn't widen or persist through the winter. Too much damage has already been done.
Tomorrow we will can the last of the salsa for the year.
I hope you've been preparing as well.
The reason why I added the 14.5% increase is because the increase already happened and if you are on medicare, you are already paying for it before the 8.7% raise including all of the increases prior to that. Is 8.7% greater than 14.5% minus $5 ???

I used to work in a jewelry store when young. They would raise prices 300% and then advertise a 25% off sale. Many customers thought they were getting a bargain.

A local grocery store would normally sell individual hostess fruit pies for $25 each. When the sale ads for 3/$1 went out, they sold out of them. It's all in the marketing.

My smarmy dentist gave me a 10% cash discount so he wouldn't have to pay his office staff to deal with insurance companies. He then tried tacking on a 50% surcharge after the procedure was completed. Much to his dismay, not all of his customers are that gullible.

This is exactly the the game you are being sold. Citizens are paying those price increases even if they are lead to believe otherwise. You say you bake/cook your own food, but you still are buying the raw materials (if you aren't growing them). If you are growing them, your ag costs have gone up. Fertilizer is up 30% YTD. I don't see too many solar tractors and combines in use. California's average diesel prices are $6.68/gal and there isn't enough water to grow your own garden here without being fined.

FWIW, I have done everything I can to prepare including saving, buying bulk sales and being debt free for decades expecting SS to be just a faint distant memory by the time I am allowed to collect my own maxed out cash contributions. We pay no DIRECT interest charges on anything (loans, leases, mortgages, credit cards, "same as cash scams", etc.) but still realize we are paying the interest and bad debt incurred by others and then passed onto taxpayers and customers (higher banking fees, student loan debt, etc). That still hasn't prevented my expenses from increasing @ $10K/year this year for food, utilities, energy, taxes and insurance even though we have consumed less.

Speaking of which, since we buy in bulk on sale, we notice "shrinkflation" between our new and old stock when rotating the shelves. Not only are prices increasing, but quantity is decreasing simultaneously.

The phrase "It won't cost you one thin dime", while technically accurate, has cost us tens of thousands of $$$. It cost us double overnight, then triple and then quadruple, none of which was technically "not one thin dime" yet millions still believe claim while quality of care has gone down.

Last edited:
I don't wear jewelry or eat sugar filled fruit pies. I sold my California farm 30 years ago so like I told you I don't buy gas at $6.68 a gallon or any other price either.
If it makes you feel better I did pay $4.69 for my diesel fuel the other day. That should get me down the road to a time after oil collapses to $60 and global recession sets in.

I don't wear jewelry or eat sugar filled fruit pies.

I think you completely missed the analogy.

I sold my California farm 30 years ago so like I told you I don't buy gas at $6.68 a gallon or any other price either.
If it makes you feel better I did pay $4.69 for my diesel fuel the other day. That should get me down the road to a time after oil collapses to $60 and global recession sets in.

Escaping California would temporarily alleviate a few things until their policies are more fully implemented nationwide. If you haven't noticed, Sacramento is entrenched in and has a firm grip on DC now. It is just a matter of time.

Right. As goes California so goes the nation. Whoopie. I'll sell ya some Arkansas acreage when ya get here...and a natural bridge...at a discount.

Here you go.

If you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it.

... and neither can the taxpayers already getting gouged out of existence.
I don’t agree , if a solution makes good financial sense , borrowing is merely a “ cost of funds “. Tax credits , grants , ais , feed in tariffs are merely a form of subsidy usually as a result of strategic Gov decision to incentivise one course of action over another. These incentives along with the cost of funds are merely entries in your financial calculation

Back