diy solar

diy solar

300!

Just want to give a quick update on my progress.

The printed parts (4 cell sections, 2 end caps, 1 top cover and 4 mounting feet) are completed, with 4 3/8" steel rods the case is very strong. The 4mm wall thickness seems to be a bit overkill, 3mm probably is enough. So the overall design is sound. I was surprised how accurate the parts fit together, the 8 screw holes on top cover are in dead on alignment with the holes on cell sections firewall support.
Recents - 1 of 1.jpeg

However I underestimated the stiffness of 1 awg wire that I plan to use to connect terminal to cell stud and bms (see green and red circle).
I can't get them to bend to a smaller radius to fit under the top cover. so I will have to rethink how to do terminals. (braided busbars are not option for me as they are too expensive to make sense in a DIY project like this.

I am going to try to things
First I will strip the wire jacket off at the section that I need small radius bend.
If that doesn't work then I will model 2 round holes on front end cap, and use 2 1-awg wires as terminal. Will have to re-print the top cover.

Will make another post when progress is made.

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2021-12-22 at 7.54.51 PM.png

I wish i had your skills an d a 3D printer, this is the best looking DIY case i've seen.

Im a cabinetmaker by trade and can appreciate good design, this is just pure class

could you look at these as a option for your terminals, along with some silicone cabling

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001149650455.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.4a593c00zqMWih&mp=1
Thank you @bryn for liking my design and the suggestion! The challenge I am facing is not the terminals themselves, but how to connect them to cell stud and bms negative in a very tight space. Also I do not want to bolt the terminal directly onto the cell stud as it would damage the cell in the event that the terminal takes an accidental impact.

BTW, a decent 3D printer can be had around $200 (Creality Ender 3 V2, to name one), if you are interested in getting into this hobby.

I see the issue now, the risk of an accidental impact must be low, but never less its a concern.

I have been looking at getting 3D printer for a while, i like the Prusa i3 M3+, but the reality is that i can't see myself using it much, i have an industrial woodworking workshop that doesn't need more equipment in it, plus dust is an issue, it gets everywhere

I did download the Fusion 360, as i had an educational account when i was studying architecture and had to learn Autocad, Revit and 3DS max

While it wouldn't take to much time to work it out, i've got enough on my plate at the moment, i'll just be building a lightweight ply enclosure or i'll tig weld up a steel enclosure.

That looks damn nice!

I'm only worried about the 'feed'. Seems pretty small and fragile to handle 25kg of weight or so.

I would prefer a bracket covering the whole length of the both sides.

Having a 15mm width/heigh bracket or soat a 45 degree angle with some holes for the screws

Would provide sufficient grip to prevent any breaking and 2-3 holes allow to use decent screws, still having 5mm underneath the screw
Something like this

1640253912574.png

Any updates on this? I’m going to be looking for some 3D printing projects. Very nice design.

Any updates on this? I’m going to be looking for some 3D printing projects. Very nice design.

Im surprised Sunrise hasn't update his thread, no doubt he is busy.

I've seen the finished results and its just amazing, its a functional design with a great form

we see a lot of DIY efforts that are functional, but lack the form factor, due to what materials we are use to working with.

After dipping my toes in Fusion, i can see a lot of hours when into this design, i can also see myself working for months on my design, as i need to get to grips with the design software.

I have access to woodworking and steel working machines in my workshop, but the design factor and lightweight materials from 3D printing has opened my mind.

See this post for link to the project's github page

Thank you all for being very patient with this

Aww crap, maybe I will give the ender another look... way more professional than a wood case... not sure if the ender can print big enough for a 4p4s setup of 304eh eves

Beautiful work! Once again I find myself wanting a 3d printer that would likely gather dust :D. Just got my Eve LF280K cells after much waiting and looking for inspiration. :D.

Back