diy solar

diy solar

3000TL LVM -24P and 4 Battle Born Batteries

Skinny76

Was going to wait until I bought my house with a solar shed, but I couldn't stand it. Been installing this in my 18 ft travel trailer. Batteries are ready to go, but Growatt is not wall mounted yet.

I have just tested plugging the 30 amp shore power directly into the Growatt with an adapter. I flipped the breaker to the converter since I still have the 12 volt appliances running off a 200ah Renogy AGM and dont want batteries charging batteries. It works well. Tested the 8,000 BTU ac and it ran fine. Then tested the microwave and it ran it fine, though not attempting to run ac and microwave at the same time.

The batteries just barely fit under the dinette seat which houses the shore power cable. However, snug is a good thing. They are not moving.

I'll attach pics, but note the extension cord I spliced in is being replaced with a 10 guage generator cord as this is only 16 guage in the picture. I'm mounting the Growatt on the wall behind the dinette bench even though it can make some noise when under a good load. I like background noise when I sleep.

*Learning experience-----do not set the power saving mode to SEN. You think it is good to do that, but the entire trailer blinks on and off unless you have a good load on the inverter. A fan and a small fridge didnt pull enough to keep the inverter on. Once I set back to SdS, it fixed the issue. I thought I had a bad unit for a while.

Once all completed, I'll add some more pictures.

Thanks to Will as I would not have thought this up on my own.

Attachments

• 20201118_155431.jpg
    20201118_155431.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 37
  • 20201111_191923.jpg
    20201111_191923.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 36
I'm curious. With 4 12v 100 ah Battle Born batteries wired in a 2s 2p configuration, what is the safe charging maximum? I have it set at 50 amps, but was not sure if it can safely be more at the above configuration. Should it be less?

Final picture less the cable clamps. My screws were to small. Not super pretty, but it works!! Just need to wire my monitors from the house battery to the Battle Borns.

Attachments

• 20201125_120724.jpg
    20201125_120724.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20201125_132423.jpg
    20201125_132423.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 17
I'm curious. With 4 12v 100 ah Battle Born batteries wired in a 2s 2p configuration, what is the safe charging maximum? I have it set at 50 amps, but was not sure if it can safely be more at the above configuration. Should it be less?
I called Battle Born. Answered on the 2nd ring the day after Thanksgiving and they stated 100 amps is perfect at this configuration.

Not a lot of interest in this thread. Should I move it to another thread? Not a learned person on forums and such as I avoid posting on social media and forums (except for this one and a motorcycle forum 20 years ago). Maybe I'm not really adding value, which I totally understand.

Show and tell is for just that... not necessarily for asking.

If you have a question, best to ask in a new thread in the appropriate forum with a link back to this page as needed.

do you have it up and running. I would find the fan noise a bit to loud if it was in the regular seating area of the RV

do you have it up and running. I would find the fan noise a bit to loud if it was in the regular seating area of the RV
It can be loud when charging or running a fairly heavy load. This travel trailer has a window type AC that is incredibly loud, so I'm very used to the noise. I have to sleep with a fan on since I'm a light sleeper, so for me it is not bad. If someone likes quiet when sleeping, I wouldn't attempt to power larger loads or charge the batteries.

So here is my experience with Growatt. You set a float, FU. I wanted to use it as a UPS for a travel trailer. I'm in a remote area and power goes out often. Wanted to use it to keep my fridge going so when I come back my food is still good. It ignores float. Runs batteries down to 25+- volts. Tried different settings. It will only charge if I disconnect altogether from grid then reconnect with the inverter cut off. Even then, I have the charge rate at 55 amps (UTI) for utility and if I get 30 amps, I'm lucky. Talked with Ian from Watts247 and was told to set at user2. Max charge is 20 amps (locked setting) and float is still a suggestion as it still seems to ignore that setting. If I'm doing something wrong, please let me know. At this point I'm thinking the people in the "know" on this forum are correct to not waste your money and build with Victron. I'm starting to see the light now. It is just irritating that the Growatt ignores my settings. Crappy software? I'm dumb? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, based on my Victron smart shunt, I have about a 39 watts draw off the battery even on grid.

Back