diy solar

diy solar

304ah cells. Ordered Monday arrived Friday

nebulight

Solar Enthusiast
Just want to share my thoughts on Emily from Basen. Super quick turn around on questions and shipping was FAST! UPS showed up today and I was confused when he said 8 heavy boxes. I walked out to the truck to see the basen logo and was giddy.

For everyone in the US looking for quick turn around on cells check out Basen. Some quick box photos and them in their waiting place until my Van gets delivered. Now comes the chore of capacity testing these cells. I'll report back in a month LOL

IMG_0214.JPG

IMG_0215.JPG

Cost almost the same as the LF280K EVE batteries from Docan (after fee).

This is real?

Did they ship from US stock? Sorry for assuming your in the US, if not.

Where is their warehouse?

Did they ship from US stock? Sorry for assuming your in the US, if not.

Where is their warehouse?
I used the link given (basengreen.com) to check a couple days ago. The domain is owned by "Alibaba cloud computing".. There is heading at top to choose what warehouse to ship from. There is one for "USA warehouse" and the price increased to $150+ so definitely indicated it was shipped from somewhere in the USA.

I ordered some cells from them before so I knew the quality would be good. I talked with emily on Alibaba via this link: https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...?spm=a2700.shop_plser.41413.14.7bcc43a5rGMZvE

But she informed me that alibaba is charging sales tax now for US customers. She pointed me to the website so I ordered from there and I didn't have to pay tax.

Here are my capacity test settings. I'm going to discharge at 40 amps first, then charge back up, then discharge to around 50% for storage as I'm still waiting on my van. I'm only going to 2.8v per cell as I don't want to go down to 2.5. I'm sure that could squeak out a few more ah, but for my install it's not worth it. I'll update this thread once I get the first test done (probably tomorrow).

1650727918066.png

I wasn't expecting the cells so quickly and I had plans yesterday and part of today. I'm going to get them tested but just took some quick pics for the forum:

IMG_0218.JPG

IMG_0219.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

:oops:

I thought Basen had a warehouse in CA, and Docan was in Texas. Now I'm confused.
I could be wrong on this. I thought I read that somewhere. I did check the shipping label and UPS doesn't have the full tracking. Maybe they have a warehouse in Las Vegas ;) Though if the label was created on 4/21 and it arrived in Las Vegas on 4/22 it would make sense that it's california and not Texas.

1650730350125.png

First cell test complete. I only discharged it down to 2.8v instead of 2.5v then charged it back up. Ignore the fact that it only discharged 44.43ah. My computer crashed during the first cycle and it was already at the recharge phase when I started the test over (discharged again). I yielded 311.2ah charging to 3.65v and cut off charging when the charge current was 20amps. Similar to what @Off-Grid-Garage Andy got.

However when I got to 3.65v with zero absorption I yielded 304.9ah. I also took note of when it was at 3.5v as I only plan to charge to 14v and it was 295.1ah. So far I'm very impressed with these cells. With an absorption time of only a few minutes at 3.5v per cell, I'll still be at the 300ah mark I'm sure.

Very impressed with these cells so far. I'll be doing tests with the rest of the cells in the next few weeks as you can see this test took 9 hours. I still would like to discharge this cell to 50% for storage too and that will take another 4 hours to discharge.

1650772329105.png

First cell test complete. I only discharged it down to 2.8v instead of 2.5v then charged it back up. Ignore the fact that it only discharged 44.43ah. My computer crashed during the first cycle and it was already at the recharge phase when I started the test over (discharged again). I yielded 311.2ah charging to 3.65v and cut off charging when the charge current was 20amps. Similar to what @Off-Grid-Garage Andy got.

However when I got to 3.65v with zero absorption I yielded 304.9ah. I also took note of when it was at 3.5v as I only plan to charge to 14v and it was 295.1ah. So far I'm very impressed with these cells. With an absorption time of only a few minutes at 3.5v per cell, I'll still be at the 300ah mark I'm sure.

Very impressed with these cells so far. I'll be doing tests with the rest of the cells in the next few weeks as you can see this test took 9 hours. I still would like to discharge this cell to 50% for storage too and that will take another 4 hours to discharge.

View attachment 92352
The 311.2Ah in the picture is only how much went into the cell. That's not really the capacity test. It is the discharge that is important, although these cells should be in the high 90's in terms of percentage efficiency.

I also use an EBC-A40 for my capacity tests. I don't think I understand what step 5 is in you cycle test program. Looks like discharge at a constant current of 1A?

Charging to 3.5V (which is also what I do) still can get to 100% SoC, and so can yield the full capacity. However, you need to allow the absorption time. Sounds like you stopped when it got to 3.5V. If you leave it at 3.5V until the current drops down to something around 1-2% C (so 3-4.5A in your case) then try a discharge test, you should see over 300Ah capacity.

The 311.2Ah in the picture is only how much went into the cell. That's not really the capacity test. It is the discharge that is important, although these cells should be in the high 90's in terms of percentage efficiency.

I also use an EBC-A40 for my capacity tests. I don't think I understand what step 5 is in you cycle test program. Looks like discharge at a constant current of 1A?

Charging to 3.5V (which is also what I do) still can get to 100% SoC, and so can yield the full capacity. However, you need to allow the absorption time. Sounds like you stopped when it got to 3.5V. If you leave it at 3.5V until the current drops down to something around 1-2% C (so 3-4.5A in your case) then try a discharge test, you should see over 300Ah capacity.
lifepo4 is over 99% efficient so a charge vs discharge doesn't really matter. I'm doing these capacity tests to make sure all my cells are good. I'd rather not fully charge which will take about 6 hours, then discharge which will take more than 8 hours each cell, then to charge back up to 50% for storage. A quick discharge from 25-30 soc then a charge back up is quicker to test each cell. I can knock out one cell per day this way.

Step 5 is discharging back down to 50% soc however in that screen shot I posted, it had the wrong parameters which is why I didn't do step 5. It's supposed to be a discharge for 228 minutes at 40 amps which will take roughly 50% capacity from the battery. I'm waiting on my camper van so these will site for about 6-8 months and don't want to store them at 100% SOC with no load.

I just checked the Basen website to check on my order. I got an email yesterday confirming my order and price and now the price to purchase the same cells has gone up to 175.00 . I sure hope they don’t cancel my order.

Has anyone tried shipping to canada from this site? The shipping doesn't seem outrageous at all.

Back