diy solar

diy solar

310 ah LifePO4 from Aliexpress take 1

Northernchateau

Solar Enthusiast
I received 8pc PWOD CATL 3.2V 310Ah grade A lifepo4 batteries from Aliexpress a few days ago.
I placed the order April 13th. They showed up 1 month late but they got here.
From the pics below you can see the box/packaging was in great shape.
The batteries were packed individually. and I have no complaints there.
I inspected each battery and all the cases are very good with no scratches or blems.
Both sides are flat and all batteries tested 3.28 volts.
As you can see these have threaded stud posts vs a tapped hole that I have seen on others.
I presently have 1 battery top balacing so I can load test it to see if I actually received a 310 ah battery and will post a report when I am done.
IMG_20210707_114654497_HDR.jpgIMG_20210707_114820162_HDR.jpgIMG_20210707_115359678_HDR.jpgIMG_20210707_114828933.jpg

I top balanced and load tested 1 battery so I could see if I got what I ordered.
I top balanced 1 battery to 3.60 volts and load tested it down to 2.60 volts.
It regestered 298 Ah on my load tester.
298 ah out of 310 ah works for me.
At this point I don't think begers can be choosers. I have another 8 pcs from a different vendor and like the set I have they are running 1 month late.

You are lucky compared to this guy:
I measured all mine this morning and the side bulge goes from 1/32" to 3/32" on the worse one.
What I found is with light pressure you can flatten them pretty good. I will be stacking 8 together and putting them in compression with a 1/8" pc of dense closed cell foam in between so I am not worried.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_073255018.jpg
    IMG_20210715_073255018.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 10
I measured all mine this morning and the side bulge goes from 1/32" to 3/32" on the worse one.
What I found is with light pressure you can flatten them pretty good. I will be stacking 8 together and putting them in compression with a 1/8" pc of dense closed cell foam in between so I am not worried.

After 115 days since payment !!!!

i paid and received from PWOD the same type of batteries but 144 pcs in EU, but all are so bumped that I can’t even put the bus bars !
The connectors look the same old as they are for me ? That is not a new battery that is so good for rusted.

Also check the original QR code that is in the middle and it is covered by a fake QR code on the side , that is not how original CATL bath has the QR positioned.

I will contact CATL to get the status of the batteries that I received. I paid $18000 , wtf ?!

how can we measure and quantify the amount of damage ?

Any linear deterioration that can be measured by capacity test (capacity linearly decrease on each cycle so we can know where we are in the line ..) or also load test with voltage drop ( if cell can’t sustain a load of 0.2C without voltage to drop under 3V ?)

61A9CF74-928B-4568-B633-0FBB85986043.jpeg

A9785248-4EFB-4B0F-98AF-86FBADCABE96.jpeg

32D5A13A-D9D7-46C9-9C50-66E3A203DAB8.jpeg

between 5mm and 10mm bumps on all my 144 PWOD batteries . Not something you can ignore !

7FCEEF50-FCF1-458B-91CA-FE1EF8EE3F54.jpeg

between 5mm and 10mm bumps on all my 144 PWOD batteries . Not something you can ignore !
I agree with you, that's way too much.
As a side note, I ordered my batteries April 6th and did not get then till July 6th.
Just to be covered I ordered a 2nd set from a different vendor on Aliexpress and when I check I was told they will be 25 days late.

Maybe someone else got the same batteries you and I ordered from PWOD and can post a pic or let the group know what they found.
Below as a point of reference I took a pic of mine without compression plates.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_191619684.jpg
    IMG_20210715_191619684.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 25
I wonder if he can do experiment by making compression plate fixtures and see if he can compress the cell back into shape or not.
At this point I do not believe that PWOD will do anything to fix the issue.

I agree with you, that's way too much.
As a side note, I ordered my batteries April 6th and did not get then till July 6th.
Just to be covered I ordered a 2nd set from a different vendor on Aliexpress and when I check I was told they will be 25 days late.

Maybe someone else got the same batteries you and I ordered from PWOD and can post a pic or let the group know what they found.
Below as a point of reference I took a pic of mine without compression plates.

i ordered them in March to arrive to EUROPEAN Union. The boxes waited for 30 days in Shenzhen , than spent another 60 days on train in desert heat of above 100C inside the black metal container that was not ventilated and the electrolyte boiled inside the cells .

cells was shipped without the UN3481 so it was an illegal transport from PWOD to EU.

What do you think ? Other shipping with UN3481 rules respected form a different seller arrived all in perfect shape and also in 50 days to EU.

Have you tried mild compression? Most people are doing this on good cells.
Put 4-8-16 in a stack and see what goes. They are not going to just suck back in.

Dude. You have been given many suggestions
I realize that you have some serious coin laid out and its stressful.
Call your credit card companies and tell them the story and get a charge back.

Have you tried mild compression? Most people are doing this on good cells.
Put 4-8-16 in a stack and see what goes. They are not going to just suck back in.

There is already high pressure inside the cells and pressure valve is at maximum and rounded to outside and ready to crack, what you suggest is dangerous and will explode the valve and release toxic gas . Open the image and see the pressure valve is about to crack without any compression !

951B0277-77EA-4893-BB00-4D5CDC407582.jpeg

There is already high pressure inside the cells and pressure valve is at maximum and rounded to outside and ready to crack, what you suggest is dangerous and will explode the valve and release toxic gas . Open the image and see the pressure valve is about to crack without any compression !
Personally I am wondering why you insist spamming the forum with your problem and disrupting other peoples threads? No one can help you except you and you have been given many suggestions, the best one IMO is dispute the charges with your credit card company.

Bud Martin linked to the thread you started relating to your problem, and that thread is where your problem should stay. You come into other peoples threads posting the same thing and photos over and over. Please stop. This thread and others are not about you. They are about whoever started the thread and in this case it was Northernchateau.

On the subject of compression. I have aluminum plates water jet cut along with threaded rod and springs on order to compress my set.
I sent PWOD Official Store a message
Me: "Can you tell me what the recommending compression is for the batteries I purchased?"
PWOD: "Do you mean you need a BMS or a balancer?"
Me: "No. I have read that batteries clamped together and put in compression yield better cycle life. Please check with the manufacturer on this."
PWOD: "Dear friends, 1. Bundle the batteries together to make the battery pack stronger without increasing the cycle life of the battery. 2. What affects the battery life is the overcharge and overdischarge of the battery, which causes the battery to be exposed to the sun and rain for a long time, and the surrounding environment affects the battery life."

On the subject of compression. I have aluminum plates water jet cut along with threaded rod and springs on order to compress my set.
I sent PWOD Official Store a message
Me: "Can you tell me what the recommending compression is for the batteries I purchased?"
PWOD: "Do you mean you need a BMS or a balancer?"
Me: "No. I have read that batteries clamped together and put in compression yield better cycle life. Please check with the manufacturer on this."
PWOD: "Dear friends, 1. Bundle the batteries together to make the battery pack stronger without increasing the cycle life of the battery. 2. What affects the battery life is the overcharge and overdischarge of the battery, which causes the battery to be exposed to the sun and rain for a long time, and the surrounding environment affects the battery life."
That's an amusing reply :) Short of contacting CATL directly and asking I would follow EVE's guide for compression for these large cells.

Side note: It's highly advisable to use insulators between the cells. If mounted in a metal case then use insulators all the way around and between the cells. Check this out.

Back