diy solar

diy solar

310Ah Cells

HighTechLab

AKA Dexter - CTO of Current Connected, LLC
Taking my first dive with these very large aluminum case cells everyone is looking into. I have a few thoughts, but by no means am I claiming tested and proven facts.

Just ordered 100pcs of CATL 310Ah cells from China, through a vendor I have worked with since 2018...They are advertised as grade "A" but they are not grade A++. The vendor clearly indicated that the QR codes are removed from the cells and they are unobtainable with QR codes in tact (more on this later. According to the vendor, the reason for not being A++ are potentially minor blemishes, but the cells still pull 300-310ah, absolutely guaranteed over 300ah. The price point for this size cell matches a commodity grade cell price as seen elsewhere on these forums.

I was told, but have not proven, that CATL does NOT sell their "cream of the crop" cells other than to EV manufacturers and other similar companies in CHINA ONLY. I was also told, but have not proven, that getting cells that are advertised as "brand new" and "Grade a++" likely are the same cells as I ordered, just with misleading or falsified advertising. I know there have been quite a few threads here on the forum that agree with this statement...where members have bought cells that were supposed to have QR codes arrived without QR codes...But correlation is not confirmation.

My question is, we know the QR code is used for tracking purposes in the factory, but since the price is a good price, what does it really matter? It's not like we can realistically look up this QR code and get any meaningful data out of it? My feeling is that it's just an indication if things have been tampered with, or if there is something to be hidden.

Even if the cells only come in at 300ah, it's still a damn good price point for the capacity. Who cares if the bank is limited to 300ah by one weak cell? This is still 96% capacity of nameplate, and still cheaper than grade A++ 272ah Lishen cells.

My predicted use case scenario really does not make a difference if capacity is a little lower. These would be getting used for stationary storage, such as off-grid power systems, or possibly in an RV where they would be replacing something like a group 8D battery. In this use case application size/weight per AH is not a critical factor.

My vendor is offering a warranty for 5 years on them, and I throw so much business their way that they would be making a big mistake to screw me on a warranty.

1618716541393.png

Last edited:
My understanding is that it is a new product for most of us and still besides guessings an rumours we almost know nothing about those cells. Only few minor tests have been made. Probably same was with eve and lishen some time ago.
Im still waiting for my 310A cells, they are at Horgos customs. Initially wanted eve 280 but they were out of stock and seller sent video with those CATL, I agreed.

By the way, there are 2 versions of CATL specs curculating on this forum 302, and 310 with slightly different dimensions. Did your seller mentioned something and which type he shipped?

Taking my first dive with these very large aluminum case cells everyone is looking into. I have a few thoughts, but by no means am I claiming tested and proven facts.

Just ordered 100pcs of CATL 310Ah cells from China, through a vendor I have worked with since 2018...They are advertised as grade "A" but they are not grade A++. The vendor clearly indicated that the QR codes are removed from the cells and they are unobtainable with QR codes in tact (more on this later. According to the vendor, the reason for not being A++ are potentially minor blemishes, but the cells still pull 300-310ah, absolutely guaranteed over 300ah. The price point for this size cell matches a commodity grade cell price as seen elsewhere on these forums.

I was told, but have not proven, that CATL does NOT sell their "cream of the crop" cells other than to EV manufacturers and other similar companies in CHINA ONLY. I was also told, but have not proven, that getting cells that are advertised as "brand new" and "Grade a++" likely are the same cells as I ordered, just with misleading or falsified advertising. I know there have been quite a few threads here on the forum that agree with this statement...where members have bought cells that were supposed to have QR codes arrived without QR codes...But correlation is not confirmation.

My question is, we know the QR code is used for tracking purposes in the factory, but since the price is a good price, what does it really matter? It's not like we can realistically look up this QR code and get any meaningful data out of it? My feeling is that it's just an indication if things have been tampered with, or if there is something to be hidden.

Even if the cells only come in at 300ah, it's still a damn good price point for the capacity. Who cares if the bank is limited to 300ah by one weak cell? This is still 96% capacity of nameplate, and still cheaper than grade A++ 272ah Lishen cells.

My predicted use case scenario really does make a difference if capacity is a little lower. These would be getting used for stationary storage, such as off-grid power systems, or possibly in an RV where they would be replacing something like a group 8D battery. In this use case application size/weight per AH is not a critical factor.

My vendor is offering a warranty for 5 years on them, and I throw so much business their way that they would be making a big mistake to screw me on a warranty.

View attachment 45598
Yes it matters, if they are advertised as new cells they should be new cells, and to the manufacturers specification, it's a slippery slope. Otherwise It's pretty much a green light for Amazon, Ebay and Aliexpress to continue selling faulty and second hand goods as new at the customers expense. A guarantee in China is pretty much worthless in a practical sense even when honored, as your system is likely down for 2 months while waiting for a replacement to arrive.

My predicted use case scenario really does not make a difference if capacity is a little lower. These would be getting used for stationary storage, such as off-grid power systems, or possibly in an RV where they would be replacing something like a group 8D battery. In this use case application size/weight per AH is not a critical factor.

View attachment 45598
Any chance you can share the vendor and price point? Thanks!

I enjoyed reading your post and agree with you. The 1 comment i wanted to share is about the RV use. Eighteen months ago when i was looking to buy cells for my RV many of the china vendors pushed me away from the 200+ cells and back to the 100ah due to the vibration / terminal getting damaged. In the end i elected to go with Battleborns because i didnt want to have an off-road incident with them. This year im adding 8-200AH cells to that BBB bank test out their concern. I will certainly post up my results around June timeframe but also interested in what your results are if you go that route.

Last edited:
cool, thanks for investigating the 310Ah capacity point.

given that specific statistical distribution of cell capacities is considered by many to be “trade secret”, if you share that information, it would help the community a lot.

and encourage people to make like fry and shake their fist full of cash at you ?

Back