diy solar

diy solar

320ah 24v battery setup (need advice)

Cmorar

I’m thinking about making a 24v battery using kpay San-320ah battery packs. I was planning on doing 8 in series to get to a 24v pack and using an overkill 24v bms. But I realized that the overkill is rated at 100a I/o, way less than the 320a output. Do I need to find another bms? Should I size down my batteries? Will the overkill work? Looking for advice from more knowledgeable people than me.

What do you plan on having for a load? The amps you need for the load ... not the battery AH .... is what you need to know to size a BMS.

What do you plan on having for a load? The amps you need for the load ... not the battery AH .... is what you need to know to size a BMS.
Where would I determine what the load would be ?

320AH is the capacity.
You size the BMS for you max charge current or max load (usually your inverter).
Could you elaborate on that a little? I’m looking at the data sheets for the batteries and AIO inverter I’m planning on using but can’t find where I’d find those numbers at

Where would I determine what the load would be ?
The load is the power you use. Have you done an energy audit to see how much power you use daily? Or how much power you use at any moment?
If you are planning on getting an inverter (to run AC appliances for example), do you know how big it will be?

Lets say you're getting a 3000w inverter. When used at capacity (3000w, like 2 hair driers at the same time)
will be:
3000W / 25.6V = 117A

In this case, a 120A BMS would be sufficient. A cheap BMS would likely need to be "rated" at 200A to work in the real world. A quality BMS like Overkill/JBD, Battrium, ... would work as specified in my opinion.

Similarly, if you had a 200A battery charger, your BMS would need to handle this but its more likely your inverter load will be higher than your charging amps. The BMS monitors the maximum current flows in and out of your battery. When this current is exceeded, it cuts off and "protects" your battery.

Make sense?

The load is the power you use. Have you done an energy audit to see how much power you use daily? Or how much power you use at any moment?
If you are planning on getting an inverter (to run AC appliances for example), do you know how big it will be?

Lets say you're getting a 3000w inverter. When used at capacity (3000w, like 2 hair driers at the same time)
will be:
3000W / 25.6V = 117A

In this case, a 120A BMS would be sufficient. A cheap BMS would likely need to be "rated" at 200A to work in the real world. A quality BMS like Overkill/JBD, Battrium, ... would work as specified in my opinion.

Similarly, if you had a 200A battery charger, your BMS would need to handle this but its more likely your inverter load will be higher than your charging amps. The BMS monitors the maximum current flows in and out of your battery. When this current is exceeded, it cuts off and "protects" your battery.

Make sense?
That definitely makes more sense, thank you!

Back