diy solar

diy solar

32650 Lifepo4 "cell level fusing?"

orangezero

Just a little background. I have been using around 5.2kw of 32650 cells premade into 20 cell packs which came pre-spot welded with nickel strips (battery hookup) and terminating in ring terminals and 1/4in screws and bolts. Works fine.

Then I just bought another 20kw or so of additional 32650 cells and I got such a good deal I bought them as bare cells. Fine, I can get some nickel strips and solder and wire and all just fine. But should I? It seems like "cell level fusing" with a tiny fuse wire isn't really needed in this case. These are new, lifepo4 cylindrical cells instead of thousands of old laptop batteries. I've seen a few designs on youtube with a large twisted copper wire and small fuse wires. It really seems necessary with li Ion cells, especially various varieties of used cells.

So, not necessary to cell fuse with lifepo4? I know the 21700 cells in tesla model 3 are each connected with a fuse wire (but also, different li ion cells).

Are there better alternatives to nickel strips? I will have quite a few to do, and realize it will be a project. I also can see how just buying a really long reel of nickel strip and an inexpensive spot welder isn't too difficult to acquire.

Thanks for any insight.

Back