diy solar

diy solar

32x 280ah EVE cells (560ah pack) - best setup?

mlebs

What is the best way to setup 32x 280ah eve cells to create a 560ah battery bank? I was originally going to set them up as 2 packs with a 16s BMS for each pack then connect those packs together in series (picture #1). Then I came across another setup, see picture #2. I am confused how to attached my 2x 16s BMS's given setup #2. Is one setup better than the other?

Attachments

• 32 cell type 1.png
    32 cell type 1.png
    214.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 32 cell type 2.png
    32 cell type 2.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 125
What is the best way to setup 32x 280ah eve cells to create a 560ah battery bank? I was originally going to set them up as 2 packs with a 16s BMS for each pack then connect those packs together in series (picture #1). Then I came across another setup, see picture #2. I am confused how to attached my 2x 16s BMS's given setup #2. Is one setup better than the other?
I currently have photo 1 with 3 of those packs. I've had no issues and very pleased. I'd like to know the pros and cons for photo 2. I like photo one for maintance issues. Your system wouldn't need to be complete down for a repair.

I prefer cells in parallel first, then series. If you need redundancy - build two separate systems.

If you are using cheap BMS - then series first and two packs is one way of keeping the BMS current in range. (ie each BMS only sees half the current)

I prefer cells in parallel first, then series. If you need redundancy - build two separate systems.

If you are using cheap BMS - then series first and two packs is one way of keeping the BMS current in range. (ie each BMS only sees half the current)
Good point, thanks for the info. I may just stick with my original idea with 2 packs.

The second one is a 2p16s configuration, only one Bms needed. I have my bank in a 2p16s using a JK bms and haven't had any issues.

Attachments

• 1634516619156.jpg
    1634516619156.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 117

Can you expand on this? I know parallel first or series first is a religious debate. My understanding is also that doing series first allows better monitoring of each cell by the BMS?

I prefer parallel batteries, not parallel cells. I started down the parallel cells path but listened to the eggheads here on the forum and switched to parallel batteries. The redundancy of two distinct batteries is appropriate for my situation. I don't want to go home because a single BMS went south.

In my RV, it was easier to find room for two 4s batteries than a 2p4s battery. I build the battery to be a self contained unit so I can pull it out if necessary. A single 2p4s battery would have been quite heavy.

I think I would prefer 2 parallel batteries as well so you can monitor each cell individually but, I assume the battery with the lowest internal resistance will supply more power than the other leading to a diverging state of charge between the 2 right?
Is there a way to avoid this?
Using 32x 280ah celles as 2 parallel batteries of 16 cells in series each, can the BMS of the battery with a lower state of charge limit its power output or is there another way to keep the SOC of both batteries in balance?

I think I would prefer 2 parallel batteries as well so you can monitor each cell individually but, I assume the battery with the lowest internal resistance will supply more power than the other leading to a diverging state of charge between the 2 right?
Is there a way to avoid this?
Using 32x 280ah celles as 2 parallel batteries of 16 cells in series each, can the BMS of the battery with a lower state of charge limit its power output or is there another way to keep the SOC of both batteries in balance?

The higher quality cells you buy, the more likely they are to have identical IR.

So far, my two batteries are staying in sync. The BMS cannot limit amperage. Discharge is either on or off. There are battery balancers you can install.

Can you expand on this? I know parallel first or series first is a religious debate. My understanding is also that doing series first allows better monitoring of each cell by the BMS?

If i buy a single 1000ah cell, or parallel 5 - 200ah cells, the result is the same.

You treat the parallel cells as one cell.

The main advantage is simplicity and reliability.

Redundancy is a red herring, if you want redundancy you need to run completely independent systems. Your 5 BMS’ will not help when your inverter fails.

My system will remain 12v unless/until my 12v 2kw inverter fails, so I built four packs of 4s. Later, I may reconfigure for 48v, but my bank needs to remain portable, and I don't relish hauling a 220lb pack around. When I put two packs in parallel, it doubles the amperage output allowed by the BMSs. I was uncomfortable with using a four cell BMS to monitor 8 cells, although most opinions are that it would be acceptable. It seems like two BMSs@100 amps are less expensive than one@200 amps.

My 2p16s 560ah battery has been working since October 2021 with zero issues. I'm off-grid in Northern Alberta Canada and only had to run my generator for about 14hrs so far this winter, I have used a minimum of 200L less/month of fuel compared to my 830ah AGMs I ran for the previous 6years.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220308-162334.png
    Screenshot_20220308-162334.png
    111.9 KB · Views: 45
  • 1634516619156.jpg
    1634516619156.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 47
My 2p16s 560ah battery has been working since October 2021 with zero issues. I'm off-grid in Northern Alberta Canada and only had to run my generator for about 14hrs so far this winter, I have used a minimum of 200L less/month of fuel compared to my 830ah AGMs I ran for the previous 6years.
Hey, can you show your battery completely? It's difficult to see what you did on the bottom. Or can someone plane me a 32x280Ah Batterie that is 2s16p but with 4 batteries in a row and 8 in column

This list the video where I got the idea on how to configure my battery.

It's the same configuration as this video except mine is 2p16s not 3p16s and mine is not vertically stacked.

Back