diy solar

diy solar

3500W powered Inverter to new Main Breaker Box work?

YooDoTan

I just built a 18 Solar paneled carport for my dad. The wiring is all setup to lead to the control box, batteries and inverter placed in my Dad's home approx 10 ft from the home's main breaker box. I made everything assuming it would be simple to connect to the home's main breaker box.

The main line from SoCal Edison is coming into a double pole breaker switch that can be turned on and off and the system has only one MAIN line in. I thought there might be more than one main line available but the product manual i found says there in only 1 main in line.

Therefore, unless someone can instruct me correctly, I will have to find an licensed electrician who will make another Breaker Box or reconstruct the current one to allow 2 Main IN-Lines I can switch between.

I believe I need a licensed electrician at this point unless I can be advised and instructed to do it properly on my own in the next couple days.

I think I will need approx 16 ft of properly gauged wire from inverter to a new breaker box allowing me to switch between main lines in. The Inverter and batteries will be need new addition MAIN line in box inverter.

MY INVERTER:

SolarCaport.jpg3500KWInverter.jpg

It seems from page 53 of this breaker box specifications there is only 1 space for a MAIN line in. I imagine a will have to hire an electrician to maybe create another panel box? Not really sure what to do now. . .

Can anyone suggest a qualified electrician I can hire in the Palmdale California area?

I am trying to connect a 1.8W 18 panel system with a single phase Pure Sine Wave Inverter of 3500W to the home's main line with the main break pictured. I need someone to connect the Inverter through the Main Box to power the home electronic sockets.

MainBreaker.jpgBreakerBox Panel.jpg

Attachments

• BreakerPanelSpecifications.pdf
    5.8 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
I think you mean 3.5 kilowatts not 3.5 megawatts.
Is your inverter 120/240 or just 120volts.
Actually please provide a product link for your inverter so that we can better advise.

One possible solution is called a generator interlock.
Here is an example.
There may be a kit for your panel.

Actually please provide a product link for your inverter so that we can better advise.

Here is an example.
Any suggestion where and how i can place this on my no panel breaker box?

Last edited:

Here is an example.

Last edited:

Here is an example.

Last edited:
Thank you i will look into this. . . and it says this is a: 24v DC/110v AC peak:7000W frequency:60hz
That is a single phase inverter.
You might be able to use an interlock kit.
Usually you wire the inverter to an appropriately sized branch breaker with appropriately sized wire and the interlock kit physically ensures that if that inverter branch breaker is on the master breaker must be off and vice versa.
If this is the service entrance panel then neutral and ground will be bonded at the panel(usually by a green screw) so they should not be bonded at the inverter.

The cables that ship with it look like crap, please use proper ones with proper lugs.

I can help you determine the wire sizes and fusing if required.

I just saw the picture of your panel and its not like any service entrance panel I have ever seen.
You can power 1 phase with that inverter if you can find an interlok, which could be difficult.

Last edited:
That is a single phase inverter.
You might be able to use an interlock kit.
Usually you wire the inverter to an appropriately sized branch breaker with appropriately sized wire and the interlock kit physically ensures that if that inverter branch breaker is on the master breaker must be off and vice versa.
If this is the service entrance panel then neutral and ground will be bonded at the panel(usually by a green screw) so they should not be bonded at the inverter.

The cables that ship with it look like crap, please use proper ones with proper lugs.

I can help you determine the wire sizes and fusing if required.
Yes, I need the properly lugged and sized cable from a 3500W system to the Breaker Box. I'm hoping to find the same type of Dual Post Breaker too if you have in stock. I will need +/- N wire 20 ft each to be safe please. you can always email an quote to my email yoodotan333@gmail.com

Any suggestion where and how i can place this on my no panel breaker box?
interlock kits are specific to a panel make and model so I can't tell you because I don't know your panel make and model.
If I did I would just google $panel_make $panel_model and see what pops up.

Yes, I need the properly lugged and sized cable from a 3500W system to the Breaker Box. I'm hoping to find the same type of Dual Post Breaker too if you have in stock. I will need +/- N wire 20 ft each to be safe please. you can always email an quote to my email yoodotan333@gmail.com
No I meant the dc cables that it comes with suck.
It doesn't come with wire for the ac side.
I'm don't have any stock, this is my hobby.

Mighty kind of you brother. . . i just posted the serial number pics and I think it is a MBE1224B1?????

From the pic that looks more like a sun panel more than the main feed.

you have a picture more zoomed out showing the entire panel?

As for AWG for Ac line from inverter to breaker panel, just look up the
ampacity rating for single phase, you’d prob be fine with 10gauge, but 16’ is short go with 8Awg. Toss in a 50amp double pole breaker but only wire one pole, and half your sub panel will be energized.

You have zero interest in back feeding the grid right!

Back