diy solar

diy solar

36 volt (2 18v banks) HD/AMG old golf cart

parkswithpoints

Got a project I could use some ideas on.

I have a Harley Davidson 36v golfcard that's realistically just an AMF. Thought I would just drop in a new 36volt battery like I see on all the YT videos (and other posts in this forum) but then I pulled them all out I realized I actually have 2 banks of 18v and it's a bit strange. Per a nice guy that works on old golf cart it actually has 4 setting so the petal just pick one of the 4 options that he thought might even send different voltage to the motor. Attached is someone else who was nice and put up a diagram.

So, I got a 36v bms and two 18volt batteries (from a EV car I think) but really it sometime runs only in 18 volt sometime maybe??? So, beginner me was thinking I would wire it up in two 18 volt banks direct to the battery like it was originally and connect the 36vt BMS on top of the direct connections that really only charger the batteries and who knows how out of balance they are going to get. I realize the cart electric pull wouldn't through the BMS so would it kill the BMS when it switched to 18v mode? I don't want to let that expensive smoke out.

Maybe I don't use the big 36v BMS and look for 2 18v BMS and find a 18v charger but 18v isn't popular so tuning this fun over to the community for advise.

I case it matters per the vin it's from 1979 - 1982 model 8D MGIV

Attachments

• HD72_75DE&DE4HEAVYCABLEwiringdi.jpg
    HD72_75DE&DE4HEAVYCABLEwiringdi.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 5
I’m no expert, but it looks to me like the relays control when and if 36V is ever detected…

I would build two 18V (22-24V) packs, and wire it like original… each battery having its own BMS…

Back