diy solar

diy solar

36 volt dc solar charge controller

MonthlyfeefreeAU

G'day,

I was interested in a 36 volt off grid system but couldn't see any options for a 36 volt off grid solar charge controller.
But it turns out Victron have a unit that will get the job done.

It's the Victron smart off grid solar charge controller 100 v / 20 a - 48 v

It can charge a 12 / 24 / 36 or 48 volt battery pack

All Victron gear comes with a 5 year warranty
This unit comes with Bluetooth built it so you don't need to go crazy looking at an LED trying to guess if it's showing a green light which means everything is fine, or a green y blue light, which means fire immanent.

Anybody running a 36 volt off grid solar system?

Last edited:
Very old systems were 32 or 36 volts as well as 40-65 foot fishing boats in the 30’s thru the 50’s but long since abandoned

The large Jacobs DC Wind Generators were 36 volts, 1500 & 3000 watts, 1930‘s thru 1950’s

Outback still has 32-36 volt inverters in their product line

Pretty darn obsolete

Very old systems were 32 or 36 volts as well as 40-65 foot fishing boats in the 30’s thru the 50’s but long since abandoned

The large Jacobs DC Wind Generators were 36 volts, 1500 & 3000 watts, 1930‘s thru 1950’s

Outback still has 32-36 volt inverters in their product line

Pretty darn obsolete
I like to think of it as better than 24 volt, but not as expensive as 48 volt, more watts though the same copper wire?

G'day,

I was interested in a 36 volt off grid system but couldn't see any options for a 36 volt off grid solar charge controller.

Mostly no, because its an oddball voltage today and your options to support it are likely extreamly limited and therefore likely very expensive compaired to standard 24v (For low wattage) or 48v for high wattage systems.

G'day,

But it turns out Victron have a unit that will get the job done.

It's the Victron smart off grid solar charge controller 100 v / 20 a - 48 v

It can charge a 12 / 24 / 36 or 48 volt battery pack

All Victron gear comes with a 5 year warranty
This unit comes with Bluetooth built it so you don't need to go crazy looking at an LED trying to guess if it's showing a green light which means everything is fine, or a green y blue light, which means fire immanent.

You will find 36 volt golf carts, some fork trucks, military, mining gear, etc that are 36 volt. But as others have said, it is few and far between. The few 36 volt, high quality inverters and chargers are very expensive.

People often get interested in 36 volts when they see super good deals on big batteries....I know, I did too. But it just doesn't pan out. If you can re-configure 36 volt batteries it can work, or if you have the intention to go higher voltage it might work out. Generally not.

I like to think of it as better than 24 volt, but not as expensive as 48 volt, more watts though the same copper wire?
All the Midnight charge controllers have default charging settings for batteries from 12V to 72V. They can additionally be altered in the custom settings section to charge/float/equalize whatever you want, to a tenth of a volt. So, Midnight can do it.

That being said, as others above say, 36V (and 32V) is now considered an oddball by all the major manufacturers except Outback, and is fading into obsolescence. Yes, your premise is correct, and you would save a few $ in copper wire, but in reality, you'll save far more money in the long-run sticking with mainstream, standardized components.

Back