diy solar

diy solar

$279 HQST 100ah Lifepo4... 4S4P Now!

Bigbillsd

12 Volts 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery for RV, Solar Marine and Off-grid Applications​

Has anyone bought one of these or has Will tore one apart?

I finally found the link again to this battery. I saw it last week and couldn't find it again...

HQST

HQST 12 Volts 100Ah Lithium Battery​

• Nominal Voltage: 12.8V
  • Energy Density: 126.7Wh/L
  • Rated Capacity (0.2C): 100Ah
  • Minimal Rated Capacity (0.2C): 95Ah
  • Internal Resistance:≤10mΩ
  • Cycle Life (0.2C, 20±5℃): 80% DOD 2000 cycles
  • Energy: 1280Wh
  • Specific Energy: 100.4Wh/kg
  • Charge Voltage: 14.4 ± 0.2V
  • Maximum Charge Current: 50A
  • Charge Cut-off Voltage: 14.6V
  • Charge High Temperature Protection: 140℉ / 60℃
  • Charge Low Temperature Protection: 32℉ / 0℃
  • Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 100A
  • Discharge Cut-off Voltage: ≥8V(1S)
  • Over-Discharge Recovery Voltage: 9.6V ± 0.2V
  • Discharge High Temperature Protection: 149℉ / 65℃
  • Discharge Low Temperature Protection: -4℉ / -20℃
  • Charge:32~113℉ / 0~45℃
  • Discharge:-4~140℉ / -20~60℃
  • Recommended:73.4 ± 9℉ / 23 ± 5℃
  • Weight: 27 lbs
  • Dimensions:10.2 x 6.2 x 9.7 inches

Warranty Information​

• 2-year material and workmanship warranty

12 Volts 100Ah LiFePO4 Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery for RV, Solar Marine and Off-grid Applications​

Has anyone bought one of these or has Will tore one apart?

I finally found the link again to this battery. I saw it last week and couldn't find it again...

HQST

HQST 12 Volts 100Ah Lithium Battery​

• Nominal Voltage: 12.8V
  • Energy Density: 126.7Wh/L
  • Rated Capacity (0.2C): 100Ah
  • Minimal Rated Capacity (0.2C): 95Ah
  • Internal Resistance:≤10mΩ
  • Cycle Life (0.2C, 20±5℃): 80% DOD 2000 cycles
  • Energy: 1280Wh
  • Specific Energy: 100.4Wh/kg
  • Charge Voltage: 14.4 ± 0.2V
  • Maximum Charge Current: 50A
  • Charge Cut-off Voltage: 14.6V
  • Charge High Temperature Protection: 140℉ / 60℃
  • Charge Low Temperature Protection: 32℉ / 0℃
  • Maximum Continuous Discharge Current: 100A
  • Discharge Cut-off Voltage: ≥8V(1S)
  • Over-Discharge Recovery Voltage: 9.6V ± 0.2V
  • Discharge High Temperature Protection: 149℉ / 65℃
  • Discharge Low Temperature Protection: -4℉ / -20℃
  • Charge:32~113℉ / 0~45℃
  • Discharge:-4~140℉ / -20~60℃
  • Recommended:73.4 ± 9℉ / 23 ± 5℃
  • Weight: 27 lbs
  • Dimensions:10.2 x 6.2 x 9.7 inches

Warranty Information​

• 2-year material and workmanship warranty
It's interesting that the page for that says "DO NOT string this battery in series. It is made ONLY for parallel connections using identical batteries" while the one for the similarly priced Docan battery says series only, not parallel.

Why would some support series only while others support parallel only?

Series only is probably a mistake. Parallel only because the FETs in the BMS can not handle the higher voltage.

I think the HQST battery is the same as the older non smart Renogy battery (HQST is owned by Renogy)

This may be the same battery

I think the HQST battery is the same as the older non smart Renogy battery (HQST is owned by Renogy)

This may be the same battery
The HQST battery has low temp protection so at a minimum you know it’s got a different BMS. I bought HQST panels and have been impressed. They seem to be a good company.

I went with the parallel only ones from Renogy a couple years back. Had looked at converting to 24v but too many little gotcha's on an RV setup for 12v power. I would definatly do 24, 36 or 48 if I was building a system from scratch and it wasn't in an RV that needs to be able to start my diesel genny. I was at the Victron Training last week, their own rig was 24v, when I asked about starting amps via a buck boost they pointed out their extra 12v battery used just for that.

This guy did a review on the battery and couldn't get the low temp protection to kick in. It's possible the cells didn't get cold enough though. The review is generally positive.

I need/want 4x 100ah batteries... Would love to see a teardown of this!

This is supposed to be the same as the Renogy and I thought Will tore one apart last year. I read somewhere that hqst and renogy are the same company, but I don't know if that is true.

I just bought one of these. Registered 13.1V warm, 9.7V after 8hours in the freezer. The low temp discharge cutoff is -4F, so it certainly didn't get cold enough. Freezer can def get it below the charge cutoff tho. I'm pretty new to all this - is there any way for me to check charge protection without a dedicated charger? Don't have my solar panel yet

I just purchased this battery, I couldnt resist the price for my needs.

Couple things to confirm, like others have but want to reiterate. It can only do parallel, and only 4 batteries. So no serial connections at all, says so on the documentation as well.

I received my batteries today and they are in fact rebranded Renogy batteries, they were drop shipped from RNG International Inc. in TX.
Here is a spec sheet from Renogy on them, https://cdn.enfsolar.com/Product/pdf/storage_system/5cb7f967ca935.pdf

I will not be tearing one down but it does have low temp shutoff, I did confirm this with both HQST and Renogy. It is the same size as a Lion Energy battery. Seems well built, as much as any others including major brands and it is even UL certified/listed. I do have a question out to Renogy about the type of cells but pretty sure they are prismatic. Others have tested amp hours to be true. Seems like a good deal as they are currently $379.

Series only is probably a mistake. Parallel only because the FETs in the BMS can not handle the higher voltage.
Bought this battery before I learned about this forum and the knowledge gems herein. Am slightly annoyed at the parallel-only limitation, thus have relegated this battery to full-time 12v trolling motor duty. Photos of mine can be gleamed here.

I followed the original link I posted (first post in this thread) The battery is now $339, and it can now be connected 4S4P for 20KWH. WOW! This is a lot cheaper than the SOK's At that price it would be interesting to see Will do a tear down.

AGM battery manufacturers must be shacking in their boots!

I posted in another thread, I bought two of these for our Airstream Bambi last year. One failed (bad), and after some back and forth HQST replaced it at no charge (good). We've since sold the Bambi and I didn't get to test the new one out very much. The new battery is a larger format and their website says it was redesigned so hopefully for the better.

While we're on the topic, we bought a new Airstream and I'm in the process of deciding what lithium batteries to install. (You'd think if we can afford an Airstream, it should be top of the line all the way, but it's a financial stretch so we're very budget conscious.) I'm having trouble seeing the value in $900 Battleborns especially since they will be used maybe 4 months out of the year. SOKs seem to have a good reputation as well but then they are $570. So, I'm leaning towards the $279 HQST, they also have a 10-year warranty (assuming they are around in 10 years). For the price of the expensive batteries, I can get 3 or 4 HQST which greatly enhances our boondocking capabilities. You get what you pay for, so it's somewhat of a gamble, but they do stand behind their product. Any other considerations?

Since HQST and Dr. Prepare are both Renogy brands, it appears this is probably the same battery as the HQST. The cases are certainly identical and a bit different from the typical Chins/AmpereTime clones. Dr. Prepare also sells this version and you can find a teardown toward the end of the UL listing document on Dr. Prepare's website. I would not be at all surprised if all three had the same internals, though the Dr. Prepare that Will tore down back in 2021 is much different internally and even uses prismatic cells instead of cylindrical. Certainly not a lot of consistency in the design and I'll let people draw their own conclusions about whether this build quality is adequate for their needs.

I ended up buying the HQST. With coupons they came out to $250/each; shipping was fast and they got here in a few days. I'm not too at ease with putting bargain-basement batteries in our billion-dollar camper, but if we get several years of use, that will make them worthwhile. I got them installed and nothing bad happened on our maiden voyage last weekend.

Their latest battery has a different case than the Renogy and Dr. Prepare. (I almost bought the name brand Renogy Bluetooth battery but it only has a 3-year warranty). The HQST manual says 5 years but their website says 10 years. I contacted them and they said the manual is in error, they will correct it, and "don't worry we have a 10-year warranty". As I said I'm not sure they will be around or what it covers but they seem to have confidence in their product. Their support is also very responsive. I also asked about their relationship with Renogy and they said:

HQST and Renogy are not the same company. RENOGY is a well-known brand in the U.S. In order to provide customers with cost-effective products, we are trying to follow the footsteps of those leading brands in the industry, and learn from their success. We use the same warehouse, so the address is same.

Attachments

• IMG_6852 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_6852 (Medium).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 70456818964__4E03B7F9-2746-4C9A-AF90-EB80F05395F7 (Medium).jpg
    70456818964__4E03B7F9-2746-4C9A-AF90-EB80F05395F7 (Medium).jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 12
Back