diy solar

diy solar

36V Li-ion Scooter Packs

jcoz

Not sure if this thread should be here or in the second life battery sub-forum...

Inspired by Jehu's UPS conversion video, I'd like to build one myself in order to support my small home office for an entire working day should the power go out. Of course, I'd also like to attach solar panels for recharging / running my office from solar. I'm still weighing the pros and cons of something like this conversion vs. a more general purpose build like Will describes, but I hope to learn more in this thread about the battery source I would use specifically for the conversion: the 36V reclaimed scooter packs at bigbattery dot com.

I've tried to search around, but I don't see anyone using these packs in builds yet (or I'm not searching for the right thing). I'm sure people used the hoverboard batteries extensively. From the description they seem perfectly fine to use, and worse comes to worse, you can reclaim the individual cells and BMS. The key in the conversion is choosing a UPS with a 36V battery, which is straightforward enough if you can lurk ebay and read spec sheets.

For use in my project, I would also need to find a nice way to connect these packs together. I'm not sure what the connector looks like on these packs, but I imagine attaching XT60 connectors would be relatively trivial? I guess that's not exactly plug-n-play, though!

Have you seen anyone using these packs as-is? Would you do a UPS conversion or start from scratch if you were powering a small home office? Thanks for your input!

Back