diy solar

diy solar

36v Solar Controller to charge some Prius cells for my ebike

SolarCanadian

Hey Gang,

just want to float an idea thats been in my head....

I want to use some gen2/3 Prius cells for my ebike in 36v. I think they are 7.2V floating voltage, max 8.2 --- was wondering if i put 5 in series if that would make an ok ebike battery... also what kind of voltage my panels would have to draw in for a 36v charge controller? would i wire the panels in series at all?

also, having a difficult time finding a 36v solar charge controller that isn't crazy expensive... Does anyone have a 36v system for their ebike or any suggestions what else i could do with it?

Probably missing something so here I am.

Thanks a lot William for this great resource!

Yeh well first got to find a charger then find its max and min PV voltage limits and attach panels that fall into that range of voltage. You can series two panels to double the voltage if that suits the charger.

Another way might be to get a 48Volt set up and use a dc to dc converter to get to 36V or a buck converter to get 24 volt up to 36. The charger has got to charge your battery in a reasonable time .

What happens if you feed 48Volts into the ebike motor? If I feed 24 V into a 12V drill it works great.

Back