diy solar

diy solar

36v to 12v

Kamaleon91

Hi I've been having an issue with my diy solar generator. I can't seem to get the 12v buck converter to hold 12v it keeps dropping to around 9v I've already changed the buck converter to a new 30amp one and still not working properly any help would greatly be appreciated.

Hi I've been having an issue with my diy solar generator. I can't seem to get the 12v buck converter to hold 12v it keeps dropping to around 9v I've already changed the buck converter to a new 30amp one and still not working properly any help would greatly be appreciated.
Make, model, brand, spec, link to this buck converter?
What is battery measured Voltage feeding the buck converter with and without load?

The battery is 36v so it's 12 30 cell scooter packs there is enough power going into the buck converter as to not drop bellow the 12v but yet it drops to around 9v with the load. Like I said I'm new to this I was thinking about buying an adjustable buck converter but not sure which one to purchase or if it will even help.

Did you measure the converter input voltage with the load on? Measure next to the converter?

Have you tried a smaller load? (Vehicle stop lamp) Same effect?

How big is the load? What current does it draw from a 12V vehicle battery?

It's a Chinese diesel heater and a iceco vl75 pro fridge not running both at the same time but would like to I'm able to run the fridge on eco which draws less power I've ran a few 12v led lights with no issues but for the amount of money I've put into this project I should be able to run as good or much better than a store bought unit

Any idea how much the diesel heater uses?
When starting up mine regularly hit 13a between the fan, pump, and glow plug. Once the glow plug turns off it drops back down to the 3-4a range. That glow plug is gonna be a problem. Many premade solar generators have issues getting enough amperage out of their 12v plugs to reliably fire those up.

I have 2 of the 5kw units and an 8k, they both start up at about the same draw.

Last edited:
I'd really like to see some photos of the batteries and the wiring arrangements and see what the actual input voltage to the converter is with the load on.

I suspect significant volt-drop on load but we have no info :(

I just had the iceco plugged in and it started at about 1.3A and then it went upto 2.0A it lasted on for about 10 minutes then it

Went to an error code

No it's just giving me 12v i just need a way around it I really don't know how the heater could be ran of a regular 12v led acid battery with no issues

The battery is 36v so it's 12 30 cell scooter packs there is enough power going into the buck converter as to not drop bellow the 12v but yet it drops to around 9v with the load. Like I said I'm new to this I was thinking about buying an adjustable buck converter but not sure which one to purchase or if it will even help.
We need to see the spec of this battery pack. I like to know what kind of battery cell being used.
Pictures?

I just tested the voltage just after the buck converter under load with the diesel heater and it was holding a constant 12.23v but the heater still drops out in a few minutes in

Back