diy solar

diy solar

36v trolling motor battery

Seems you need a special BMS for 12v builds that will be put in series. That's what a rep at Daly told me recently. Might just go with 12S 36v even though that's not what i wanted to do.
a 36 volt battery? I have this thunderstruck BMS VC1 that i've spend lots of time learning how a relay works to hook this up and it's not easy. im going to return this and go buy something else and get this done.

Yeah. Looking at using 12 x 202 AH Prismatic Cells with a daly BMS 150A 12V 36S. Will be much cheaper than 3 Valence and a lot more capacity.

I fitted a 36v Motorguide a year back...I made up a battery from these....

https://www.evworks.com.au/calb-ca100

Fitted this battery monitor and 50 amp circuit breaker...

BMV-712 Smart - Victron Energy

We often use it for 2-3 day trips and the most I have ever used is 52 amps....barely dropped an anchor in 15 months except when sleeping and its opened up all new deep water fishing grounds for us...gamechanger..

117758306_10220902499930328_3096938424517958894_o.jpg

Nice fish! I'd like to do this, but it looks like you spent near $3000 for that battery (16 cells X $180).....??

I'm using 110 Ah, Group 31 AGM batteries that I buy from Sam's Club for $189 each.......They last me about 5 years.

I understand that Li batteries charge faster and can be discharged lower and might save a few pounds, but yikes, that's a lot of cash......

Maths is obviously not your strong suit Rbertalotto so I'll break it down for you...

There are 12 x 3.2v cells in 36v and the money is aussie dollars...AGM shouldnt be discharged below 50% while these LiFeo4 have 100 useable amp hours and the whole 36v battery weighs less then 40kg and was able to be configured to fit the space I had available.....i also bought them before covid when they were Aus $160..so they worked out at about US$1500 for 36v for basically twice the capacity of those nasty heavy lead acid batteries you are lugging around...plus all the other advantages that LiFePo4 batteries have...considering we often do 2-3 day trips and travel 200 plus Km's to our fishing grounds and back in a trailerboat both weight and battery capacity are important in our instance..I have 6 x12v batteries on board a 6.5m plate ally boat..

English and punctuation are not my strong suit but hopefully you get the drift...

Hinchi boat.jpg

Nice boat! Hard to believe I actually majored in math?.....Civil Engineering. Sure wish these Li costs would come down. I appreciate all the advantages. Good luck....."Tight Lines!"

A civil engineer huh.. :)

If you shop around you can already find them as cheap as AGM's...surely in the ole US of A you might get them even cheaper then poor us in Australia who pay more for everything boating and fishing then you guys..

I saw these on a "Black friday" special last weekend..if you do the currency exchange and take into account the usable amp hours they come in about the same or maybe even a fraction cheaper then what you paid for your AGM's..

Big wei.jpg

A friend also bought 3 of these Voltax 12v 100Ah batteries on special for $AU329 each this week..this is significantly cheaper then what you paid for your AGMs on a usable Ah basis...

VoltaX 12V 100Ah Lithium Battery LiFePO4 Iron Phosphate Rechargeable 4WD RV for sale online | eBay

Last edited:
I spent a month in Australia a couple years ago. In the Blue Mountain area. I was shocked how expensive everything was there. Food, fuel, etc. And then I was told about the taxes. Yikes. Beautiful country, but you need to make a good living to live there.

A civil engineer huh.. :)

If you shop around you can already find them as cheap as AGM's...surely in the ole US of A you might get them even cheaper then than poor us in Australia who pay more for everything boating and fishing then than you guys..

I saw these on a "Black friday" special last weekend..if you do the currency exchange and take into account the usable amp hours they come in about the same or maybe even a fraction cheaper then than what you paid for your AGM's..

A friend also bought 3 of these Voltax 12v 100Ah batteries on special for $AU329 each this week..this is significantly cheaper then than what you paid for your AGMs on a usable Ah basis...

VoltaX 12V 100Ah Lithium Battery LiFePO4 Iron Phosphate Rechargeable 4WD RV for sale online | eBay
Please forgive me... the words then and than are not interchangeable. https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/when-to-use-then-and-than. I know I sound like an ass but my intention is to help.

I spent a month in Australia a couple years ago. In the Blue Mountain area. I was shocked how expensive everything was there. Food, fuel, etc. And then I was told about the taxes. Yikes. Beautiful country, but you need to make a good living to live there.
Yes it is expensive here and I have imported goods such as fishing reels,lures a downrigger and various GPS and sonar units from retail outlets in the USA and even paying international delivery with USPS they have often worked out substantially cheaper then purchasing here...

I guess the fact that our minimum casual wage rate of AU$24.80 hr (US$18) makes it all relative and our social services and health systems are streets ahead of yours over there...

I even imported my wife from the USA many years back...USPS wouldnt take her unfortunately so in that instance delivery was quite expensive..?

Back