diy solar

diy solar

38 SEER! $1300 WOW

Always great to see a Poz video.

I made a few comments in the video on his install. Overall nicely done.

When do you folks have time to watch hour-long utube videos? I'm retired and my outdoor activity lately is limited by a back injury and still ... no way. I can't find the time.

How about a link to the product? Or a spec sheet?

Here ya go.
His video actually takes you through the entire installation. He makes a few minor mistakes, but overall a decent diy minisplit install.

Wow 15 HSPF for you cold climate guys like me. 4.5 times more heat, when it's not real cold out, than just plugging in the electric heater.
Dog, I run the videos @200%. You get use to it and can always slow it down if you hear something useful (seldom).

That seems way to good to be true!

I have (3) of the 33 SEER Mitsubishi units and they so far have been fantastic.
Mitsubishi is indeed a fantastic setup, gree makes bargain units for most manufacturers, Daiken makes the more robust units that aren’t finikey or problematic to service. Fujitsu and others are a bit quirky for me.
if a customer wants the best, they get Mitsubishi, durable, they get Daiken, cheap, they get gree.

Only showed vacuuming lowside line with precharge valves shut off so no pressure equalization through compressor. It is a little iffy that full amount of vacuum made it pass inside unit expansion valve to pull air from highside line.

Normally you would hook red hose to highside port, blue to lowside port, and yellow line to vacuum pump with both gauge valves open to ensure vacuum pull on both lines. Maybe he did this off camera after discovering mistake on red - yellow hose reversal.

Some A/C guys use inline Schrader valve pullers on port to reduce the resistance to water vapor flow during evacuation. This is a bit of extra hassle. I just run vacuum pump longer to allow more time to pull water vapor molecules out of system.

Only showed vacuuming lowside line with precharge valves shut off so no pressure equalization through compressor. It is a little iffy that full amount of vacuum made it pass inside unit expansion valve to pull air from highside line.

Normally you would hook red hose to highside port, blue to lowside port, and yellow line to vacuum pump with both gauge valves open to ensure vacuum pull on both lines. Maybe he did this off camera after discovering mistake on red - yellow hose reversal.

Some A/C guys use inline Schrader valve pullers on port to reduce the resistance to water vapor flow during evacuation. This is a bit of extra hassle. I just run vacuum pump longer to allow more time to pull water vapor molecules out of system.
Minisplit units ONLY have a low side gauge port… look in my comments in the video, I offer a better way to purge the lines.

When do you folks have time to watch hour-long utube videos? I'm retired and my outdoor activity lately is limited by a back injury and still ... no way. I can't find the time.

How about a link to the product? Or a spec sheet?

The video has that information in the more section below the video when you view it on youtube. It has links for where to buy.

Myself I will view an hour video when it shows me a way to cut my AC bill in 1/2 he is running this setup on solar so he is off grid with this well worth my time.

I agree, the real question is will it last 5 years? Cheap could cost more in the long haul. But the real kicker for me was it was running on straight 240 V ( no neutral )

That seems way to good to be true!

I have (3) of the 33 SEER Mitsubishi units and they so far have been fantastic.
I appreciate your feedback on the Mitsubishi units. I've been agonizing over which mini split unit to buy. Ideally, I'd like to buy one outdoor unit that works with 3 air handlers, but it seems like my options are limited and the 1st choice, Mr Cool, is now off the radar since I've heard some less than favorable reviews. I'll look into Mitsubishi to see if they have a multi-zone unit. My 100% off-grid house is about 80% done so I really need to nail down my choice soon. Again, thanks for your comment. george

Mitsubishi is indeed a fantastic setup, gree makes bargain units for most manufacturers, Daiken makes the more robust units that aren’t finikey or problematic to service. Fujitsu and others are a bit quirky for me.
if a customer wants the best, they get Mitsubishi, durable, they get Daiken, cheap, they get gree.
What's your take on Mitsubishi Heavy Industries vs. Mitsubishi Electric?

At least around here we have two distinct product lines. MHI is the workhorse and M-E has all the fancy bells and whistles.

Here ya go.
His video actually takes you through the entire installation. He makes a few minor mistakes, but overall a decent diy minisplit install.
First, thanks for the link. I saved it ages ago.

I had a look at this again and I noticed it says 9000btu minimum.

This might actually be a problem for some folks as, if that is the case, it means the minimum power consumption is significantly higher than the fabled Mitsubishi unit which gets as low as 1700 btu I believe.

Of course for home use and many larger RVs this is fantastic but if people are looking at this for smaller mobile use they might need to reconsider.

I watched this thread to come back to it and after noticing that detail it will not work for my specific application because the space will simply be way too small for 9k btu.

This isn't an issue on its own, as power consumption will average out if the insulation is good, however it means the minimum power consumption is much higher.

I'd rather have the much reduced minimum power consumption instead of it cycling on and off, allowing me to have more inverter overhead for an induction plate. Wouldn't want to be cooking dinner and have the inverter trip because the ac turned on and doesn't have quite enough to spare.

Logically that would mean get a bigger inverter, but... $$$ and possibly more $ going to 24v.

The refrigerant control device (EEV) is in the outdoor unit. You can pull vacuum on either or both ports.

Understand, those high SEER numbers are nothing but sales hype. I sell, replace, install and test HVAC systems every single day. Mini splits are great for applications where a standard system with ductwork can’t be installed. They will not last as long, cost more to repair, harder to find a service person, harder to clean and good luck with the DIY warranty.

Last edited:
Understand, those high SEER numbers are nothing but sales hype. I sell, replace, install and test HVAC systems every single day. Mini splits are great for applications where a standard system with ductwork can’t be installed. They will not last as long, cost more to repair, harder to find a service person, harder to clean and good luck with the DIY warranty.
I'm not sure why you think they don't last as long.

They've been standard in virtually every other country for decades and have a proven reliability record. Perhaps the cheaper brands people use to save a buck?

I agree with the rest though. US adoption has been slow.

This is counterproductive.

I have learned that the warmer it is in the house, the fewer clothes my wife wears...

After living for the past 12 years in southeast Asia, I know only mini-splits. Every single condominium, house, shop or store has been using them forever. Only malls and factories have any duct work in them. They work, they last, are easy to service and clean.

Back