diy solar

diy solar

38 SEER! $1300 WOW

After living for the past 12 years in southeast Asia, I know only mini-splits. Every single condominium, house, shop or store has been using them forever. Only malls and factories have any duct work in them. They work, they last, are easy to service and
Anything that I have to put a big bag under to catch the dirty runoff water from the indoor coil, to prevent damage to the customers walls and flooring, I don’t want anything to do with, unless I absolutely have to use them. Most have a plastic screen and do not have a high efficiency air cleaners. I don’t have anything against them being used where they have to be used, like in my van. I also do not take anymore service calls on them, unless I installed it. I guess if that is all one installs and services, then one could stock the oddball parts.

Last edited:
First, thanks for the link. I saved it ages ago.

I had a look at this again and I noticed it says 9000btu minimum.

This might actually be a problem for some folks as, if that is the case, it means the minimum power consumption is significantly higher than the fabled Mitsubishi unit which gets as low as 1700 btu I believe.

Of course for home use and many larger RVs this is fantastic but if people are looking at this for smaller mobile use they might need to reconsider.

I watched this thread to come back to it and after noticing that detail it will not work for my specific application because the space will simply be way too small for 9k btu.

This isn't an issue on its own, as power consumption will average out if the insulation is good, however it means the minimum power consumption is much higher.

I'd rather have the much reduced minimum power consumption instead of it cycling on and off, allowing me to have more inverter overhead for an induction plate. Wouldn't want to be cooking dinner and have the inverter trip because the ac turned on and doesn't have quite enough to spare.

Logically that would mean get a bigger inverter, but... $$$ and possibly more $ going to 24v.
A 9000btuh unit will ramp between 1200 and 9000 BTUH heat moving. Certainly it’s max rating would be too high for most well insulated tiny homes, but 250Sqft should be a perfect fit.

A 9000btuh unit will ramp between 1200 and 9000 BTUH heat moving. Certainly it’s max rating would be too high for most well insulated tiny homes, but 250Sqft should be a perfect fit.
It specifically states 9k minimum. I didn't find a spec sheet though.

A unit rated at 9000BTUH isn’t going to be a minimum rating, that is the maximum rating. Perhaps a typo?
Yeah. You'd think, but here we are.

Mini splits are not all 1200 btu minimum either. The Mitsubishi Boi is 1700btu minimum.

Screenshot_20211005-062520_Chrome.jpg

It's also entirely possible it's not variable speed but rather 2 speeds and the options are 9k btu OR 13.5K and nothing on between.

During my search for a new chiller a couple years back one of the options did exactly that, but it was 10 tons vs 20 tons.

Yeah. You'd think, but here we are.

Mini splits are not all 1200 btu minimum either. The Mitsubishi Boi is 1700btu minimum.

View attachment 67539

It's also entirely possible it's not variable speed but rather 2 speeds and the options are 9k btu OR 13.5K and nothing on between.

During my search for a new chiller a couple years back one of the options did exactly that, but it was 10 tons vs 20 tons.
Ok, link to the model you are looking at, the first link includes a lot of units. I don’t see the one you are looking at.

Ok, link to the model you are looking at, the first link includes a lot of units. I don’t see the one you are looking at.
The very first 9k btu one that's 38 seer haha.

The topic of this thread.

Edit: somehow it gave me the 12k. Sec.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211005-063248_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211005-063248_Chrome.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 6
Nevermind, I see… look at the same brand 18000 unit, it has more details, and specifically states varies airflow, but NOT compressor output.
I would want a lot more details before purchasing one of these…

Here we go. No idea how it gave me the 12k since I clicked the 9k and copied that url but whatever.

Nevermind, I see… look at the same brand 18000 unit, it has more details, and specifically states varies airflow, but NOT compressor output.
I would want a lot more details before purchasing one of these…
Oof. That's an even worse method of doing it.

Looks like it uses EXV to mediate refrigerant flow, and airspeed/heat content to regulate… with a single speed compressor, they must use a receiver, and suction trap to control sub cooling… with a decent computer, the system would be very efficient. But limiting to 9000btuh… ugh. I will stick with a 9K gree… or Daiken.

At least it's not a hot gas bypass setup?

I don't know a whole lot about these systems like you clearly do but I know that our chiller uses that method and while it enables us to go to about 10% output on the compressors, it's very inefficient.

Here is my standard size 2500 Express Van’s mini split hp info...powered by 1000W pv...560 aH LFE...4K Magnum Inv...Ameristar (Gree NEO) 9000 btu 22 SEER (13.2 EER @ 95F), 120V Model M4THS2209A91N hp, matched to M4MHW2209A9NO Indoor Unit.

Cooling- 2560-8908-11570 btu (Low-Med-High). Heating- 2355-9420-12901 btu (L-M-H).

Variable Speed (Really a 3 spd) Rotary Compressor G10 Inverter Drive.

Ref throttling - EEV.

Outdoor fan 900 rpm dc motor, 0.46A. Indoor fan motor 4 spd dc 0.3A, in cool mode- 750-950-1100-1290 rpm.

This unit has been discontinued.

As you can see...it is not a true “variable speed” like my 20 SEER American Standard home hp system. It ramps up and down together from 26-100%. It’s a 24000 btu and consumes about twice the power of my mini split.

Last edited:
Back