diy solar

diy solar

3D printed Deye 5kw Hybrid Fan Unit - SUN-3.6/5/6K-SG03LP1-EU

nate_syd

The Deye unit gets hot! when running - to the point I couldn't hold my hand on it.

This doesnt go well for longevity - drying out caps & degrading their life (Arrhenius equation)
So i've been running some 120mm fans just plonked on top - but now i've made a fan shroud/unit that can be put under the units.

It accepts 92mm standard PC fans & mounts under the heat sink, & uses 12v power.

Here's the graph when I turn on the fans - biiig difference.

Attachments

• Fan Temps.png
    Fan Temps.png
    30.9 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220130_144603.jpg
    20220130_144603.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 193
  • 20220131_083616.jpg
    20220131_083616.jpg
    317.8 KB · Views: 192
Very nice!! I am thinking of adding fans to my 8k Deye when I install it later this summer.
But of course it has side fans rather than top and bottom flow.
Kid

I've been chatting with the factory & they're confident the 5kw does not need them & i'm the only one with issues.
But if it means getting an extra 10years life span - i'll do it every day & twice on Sunday.

10deg lower = DOUBLE the life of a capacitor, considering we want these things to last - i'm focusing heavy on the cooling.
They use Unicom caps inside - but I cant see exactly which version, there's some very long life versions - not sure if they use those or not.

See how it goes when its running on a hot day & make the call - with fans they might be ok. The 5kw has an internal fan which circulates air around inside - but doesnt flow through the unit as such.

Here's the thermal cam image:
- 25deg bottom of unit at front
- 27deg top of unit at front
- 19deg on cooled heat sink

Attachments

• Thermals.PNG
    Thermals.PNG
    838.7 KB · Views: 35
Fantastic! I was having this concern since a few days and just now took a few snaps while the deye 5kw was exporting around 3.5 kw, and pv production was a little over 4kw. I was shocked to see the DC temp at 80 and AC temp at 70 degrees C. Will definitely add the fans as you have advised, highly appreciate it!

Attachments

• IRI_00119FTP.jpg
    IRI_00119FTP.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IRI_00115FTP.jpg
    IRI_00115FTP.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot_20220313-123840_solarmanPro.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-123840_solarmanPro.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 48
Wanted to put this in a separate post.
Attached images are of my Goodwe 15kw SDT G2 ongrid. This has a couple fans beneath the heatsink yet the top part is close to 60c. I think I need to also add a table fan blowing towards the open side of this room as its covered from 3 sides plus a roof. Also, the outside temp where I am is around 33c at the moment. But then again, its this 10c which the fans reduce that will make a huge difference in the long run and the Goodwe is running 10c cooler than the deye while producing more than twice the power. Will keep an eye on things.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313-131602_SEMS Portal.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-131602_SEMS Portal.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IRI_00121FTP.jpg
    IRI_00121FTP.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 24
Wanted to put this in a separate post.
Attached images are of my Goodwe 15kw SDT G2 ongrid. This has a couple fans beneath the heatsink yet the top part is close to 60c. I think I need to also add a table fan blowing towards the open side of this room as its covered from 3 sides plus a roof. Also, the outside temp where I am is around 33c at the moment. But then again, its this 10c which the fans reduce that will make a huge difference in the long run and the Goodwe is running 10c cooler than the deye while producing more than twice the power. Will keep an eye on things.
A++ nice perspective on temps & what other units are running in similar conditions.

Hi all.

I was having the same issue with the Deye 5K getting hot, I have Solar Assistant installed which told me the internal temp of the Deye was getting to 90c.
We live just north of Melbourne AU and unfortunately we get some really hot days, last summer we had a run of over 40c days.
My inverter is in an insulated shed with power ventilation but it was just so hot inside the shed so I came up with a fan forced cooler for the inverter.

I set up a 12v computer fan on a panel that I made, the other half of the panel is bug mesh.
I have the earth to the fan running through a 30c thermal switch to turn it on and off automatically, the switch is just jammed into the heat sink on the rear of the inverter.
The fan dropped the internal temp by about 20 degrees C.

Attachments

• IMG_1341.JPG
    IMG_1341.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    286 KB · Views: 143
Hi all.

I was having the same issue with the Deye 5K getting hot, I have Solar Assistant installed which told me the internal temp of the Deye was getting to 90c.
We live just north of Melbourne AU and unfortunately we get some really hot days, last summer we had a run of over 40c days.
My inverter is in an insulated shed with power ventilation but it was just so hot inside the shed so I came up with a fan forced cooler for the inverter.

I set up a 12v computer fan on a panel that I made, the other half of the panel is bug mesh.
I have the earth to the fan running through a 30c thermal switch to turn it on and off automatically, the switch is just jammed into the heat sink on the rear of the inverter.
The fan dropped the internal temp by about 20 degrees C.
Excellent! 20 degrees is worlds apart. I honesty dont get why Deye didnt go with the fans in the first place, especially for warm climates. I think this one is also IP65, not sure but perhaps adding a dust filter might also help prolong life. Cheers!

Excellent! 20 degrees is worlds apart. I honesty dont get why Deye didnt go with the fans in the first place, especially for warm climates. I think this one is also IP65, not sure but perhaps adding a dust filter might also help prolong life. Cheers!
The original Deye 5k inverters seemed to have had fans in them as there are reports of noisy fans.
If my inverter was outside I would make it more water and dust proof.

There definitely IS a fan (or multiple) inside!
If you take off the front cover, you can look up & see it facing onto some capacitors. So it seems its circulating the air inside & relying on the aluminium body & heatsink to extract the heat.

Unsure how that fan would/could disrupt internal circulation? But if its cooler - its cooler! A+

I had my inverter open before I installed it as I have heard about the noisy fan, cant say that i recall a fan?
My inverter is only 4 months old from new.

I had my inverter open before I installed it as I have heard about the noisy fan, cant say that i recall a fan?
My inverter is only 4 months old from new.

I tried to open mine to have a gander, but it was a right PITA.
You're talking the 5k unit right? Have a look up from the front port, just left of center from memory.

I tried to open mine to have a gander, but it was a right PITA.
You're talking the 5k unit right? Have a look up from the front port, just left of center from memory.
To open mine it was just a few screws, yep the 5k unit.

I just went out and disconnected my home made fan and yes I can hear a small fan inside still going.

Just for interest, the inside of my power shed at the moment is 28c and according to Solar Assistant the inside of the inverter is 65c, that's a big difference, the power output from the inverter is 4.5Kw.

To open mine it was just a few screws, yep the 5k unit.

I just went out and disconnected my home made fan and yes I can hear a small fan inside still going.

Just for interest, the inside of my power shed at the moment is 28c and according to Solar Assistant the inside of the inverter is 65c, that's a big difference, the power output from the inverter is 4.5Kw.
Are you talking to remove the front panel?
or get access to everything inside the entire unit?
As it appears on mine everything comes through the back/heat sinks.

The big Q is where is the temp sensor *exactly*? Is it on an internal heatsink? is it the switching silicon itself?
Just like a PC - the CPU temp may be high, yet the heatsink will be considerably lower - and the CPU is designed for these temps etc. I'm happy to see mine below 60deg 100% of the time :)

Just a try .Dropped DC Temperature by 25 Celsius like that.Was above 80....scaring me.
I ordered 2 cooler fans 12cm/220v already and will install them right under the inverter blowing vertically up.
My 5kw Deye hybrid has no noisy vents built in.I cannot imagine temps 80c above are healthy for devices like that.Why would Deye say these Inverters do not need active ventilation?

Attachments

• 16625283633723910364502226397518.jpg
    16625283633723910364502226397518.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 107
  • Screenshot_2022-09-07-13-30-18-316_com.igen.xiaomaizhidian.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-09-07-13-30-18-316_com.igen.xiaomaizhidian.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Just a try .Dropped DC Temperature by 25 Celsius like that.Was above 80....scaring me.
I ordered 2 cooler fans 12cm/220v already and will install them right under the inverter blowing vertically up
Thats a pretty gang-star setup! A++
I used Noctua NF-A9 fans which have a fluid bearing for longevity.... Do the numbers on your fans & pay for the best possible fans!
Sleve bearing - 40,000hrs = 4.5 years!
Ball bearing - 70,000hrs = 8 years
Oil/Fluid - 200,000hrs = 22 years

Given its running 24/7 - I used the fan which will last as long as the inverter. Makes me wonder what the bearings of the internal fans are like!

Thats a pretty gang-star setup! A++
I used Noctua NF-A9 fans which have a fluid bearing for longevity.... Do the numbers on your fans & pay for the best possible fans!
Sleve bearing - 40,000hrs = 4.5 years!
Ball bearing - 70,000hrs = 8 years
Oil/Fluid - 200,000hrs = 22 years

Given its running 24/7 - I used the fan which will last as long as the inverter. Makes me wonder what the bearings of the internal fans are like!
The one i ordered have ball bearings,i let them run 12hours daily because during night time temps are ok.That would mean 16 years life time...i had led bulps with a lifetime of 16000 hours,broke after 3months....i dont trust those numbers anymore.But oil/fluid bearings will last longer.,you are right

I ordered 2 cooler fans 12cm/220v already and will install them right under the inverter blowing vertically up.
My 5kw Deye hybrid has no noisy vents built in.I cannot imagine temps 80c above are healthy for devices like that.Why would Deye say these Inverters do not need active ventilation?
Thats pretty much what I have done, difference is drastic. Whatever Deye says, I live where it can get 45c and I've noticed I get more PV output with the fan than without it under same conditions.

Those graphs are cool! Which app you using? Solarman Smart? I cant seem to get those parameters like you have

Back