diy solar

diy solar

3rd build, biggest I’ve done yet so any help appreciated

That fan must be huge.
It’s not massive but it’s bigger than what you see in average domestic setting. It has a 6” duct on it which goes over the exhaust of the car to expel fumes while the cars warming up.

Oh course the efficiency makes sense.

so would my inverter have to have a continuous rating high enough to cover the surge of the motor? My inverters going be huge.
Depends on how long the inverter can sustain its surge rating.
Typically high frequency inverters have no practical surge capacity.
Low frequency inverters do but they cost significantly more.

If I DIY the battery which is a possibility if I go lithium I could potentially have a look in the BMS settings. But I think for ease and more of a fit and forget, I might go acid.

Do we have any recommendations for an inverter?
I'm don't know much about lead acid batteries.
In my opinion they only make sense now for applications where LFP are precluded for one reason or another.
This link describes a charteristic of lead acid batteries which I'm glad I don't have to deal with.

There are plenty of folks here who know and love lead acid batteries.
If you go that way I'm sure they can help.

Last edited:
Depends on how long the inverter can sustain its surge rating.
Typically high frequency inverters have no practical surge capacity.
Low frequency inverters do but they cost significantly more.
I never even knew about high frequency and low frequency inverters, managed to
find this one 9kw peak for a a few seconds.

Also just found this one which is similar but need to look at reviews etc

With regards to batteries still unsure I need to work out cost I would rather go with lithium but ready made LFP batteries are going to be too expensive for now.

Another question would 2x 400watt panels with 3 hours of sunshine a day nearly charge 2x 240Ah batteries in series? Think that works out 2.4kwh a day but I’m not sure how to factor in inefficiencies.

Last edited:
I never even knew about high frequency and low frequency inverters, managed to
find this one 9kw peak for a few seconds

* can I post eBay links here? *
Sure as long as you are not an affiliate or vendor.
With regards to batteries still unsure I need to work out cost I would rather go with lithium but ready made LFP batteries are going to be too expensive for now.
LFP batteries are cheaper when cycle life is considered.

Another question would 2x 400watt panels with 3 hours of sunshine a day nearly charge 2x 240Ah batteries in series?
I will leave the PV side of things to others.

You mention batteries in series, what is your planned system voltage?

Sure as long as you are not an affiliate or vendor.

LFP batteries are cheaper when cycle life is considered.

I will leave the PV side of things to others.

You mention batteries in series, what is your planned system voltage?
Yeah I agree I could diy two 12v batteries with their own BMS’ I have some experience with it so shouldn’t be an issue, just cost and wait times.

My planned system voltage is 24v

Also I’ve added the links into the post above

Yeah I agree I could diy two 12v batteries with their own BMS’ I have some experience with it so shouldn’t be an issue, just cost and wait times.

My planned system voltage is 24v

Also I’ve added the links into the post above
I don't recommend putting batteries in series.
If you want a 24 volt system buy or make 24 volts batteries.
It avoids the issue of drift within the series.

I don't recommend putting batteries in series.
If you want a 24 volt system buy or make 24 volts batteries.
It avoids the issue of drift within the series.
Ok awesome advice thank you. I take it I can get 8S BMS’? I’ve only used 4s which was the same as the overkill branded one

It’s not massive but it’s bigger than what you see in average domestic setting. It has a 6” duct on it which goes over the exhaust of the car to expel fumes while the cars warming up.
The reason I commented is because something like this is less than 600 watts. Fans tend to be pretty low watts. Wanted to double check on something that big.

52D7BA94-0561-4C29-B39A-E94EE2CC4D53.jpeg

The reason I commented is because something like this is less than 600 watts. Fans tend to be pretty low watts. Wanted to double check on something that big.

View attachment 93415
Yeah that is true it surprises me as well, it’s tagged at 550watt on the fan but shows more on the clamp meter, it’s not even that old either.

Back